Acne is a skin condition which involves appearance of inflamed papules on facial skin, shoulders and sometimes back.
Acne also known as acne vulgaris may manifest in various forms like mild to moderate black heads, white heads, and pimples and in severe cases, inflamed, red big cystic nodules as well.
Usually, white heads and black heads which are milder forms of acne do not need a necessary medical intervention and just need to be managed with proper skin care routine.
The other sever forms of acne which get infected with bacteria like Propionibacterium acnes become very problematic and need medical attention. 3 out of every ten people with acne suffer from severe problems and the condition needs to be properly managed to prevent scarring of skin permanently.
Acne is usually worse in males than in females and is more prominent in dark skinned people than in lighter ones. It is a big cosmetic concern for people and needs proper skin care regimen to hasten its slow cure rate.
Age group usually affected
Acne usually affects people in the age group of 12 to 25 years. This is the time for puberty in both males and females and a big shuffling of the hormonal balance is one of the prime reasons of the development of acne at this age.
Acne may also occur in people older than 25 years of age due to many reasons but the possibility is very less.
Symptoms of Acne
Acne may occur in various forms like white heads, black heads, cysts, nodules etc.
They occur usually in the form of white papules with no superficial opening. They can be alternatively called as closed comedones caused by the clogging of pores on the skin surface with dirt and excessive sebum secretion.
They are usually mild. Most people having acne problems generally have this initial stage of acne only which seldom progresses to painful, nodular cysts having bacterial infections.
Black head is an open comedo. A comedo is an inflamed bulb of the hair follicle with sebum and skin debris trapped inside, it may or may not be infected.
While white heads are closed comedomes, black heads have an opening which appears black due to the accumulation of dead skin cells or debris, bacteria and oils.
Rare causes of acne
Many rare causes of acne include hormonal imbalances like in case of poly cystic ovarian disease in women. Sometimes, there is an over secretion of the male hormones such as testosterone and DHEAs, which results in the appearance of acne over face, chest and back.
Things to avoid if you have acne
With acne, there are many things and habits which may aggravate a mild acne problem, these include:-
- Oily, greasy make - up, which may clog pores and lead to skin infections.
- A few hormonal contraceptive pills may unnecessarily aggravate the problem.
- Picking and squeezing of the acne spots. It may aggravate inflammation and cause permanent scar marks.
- Wearing tight clothes like head bands, caps and tight undergarments. This again may causes undue accumulation of sebum and acne formation.
- Medicines containing phenytoin and steroids are known to aggravate and even precipitate acne sometimes.
- Many believe that acne could be a result of over consumption of sugar and milk products. While it is not a proven fact yet, but it's definitely worth a try merely for the sake of good health.
Some good habits to be adapted in acne prone people
- Wash face only once to twice a day and not more. It is worthless to wash your face again and again as it may not hasten acne healing but it definitely will cause unnecessary skin irritation and dryness.
- Prefer antiseptic facial washes
- Use a water based - moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated and free from excess oil secretion.
Can natural supplements cure acne?
Natural supplements are becoming very popular nowadays due to the rapid shift of the people towards natural products.
Given the steep rise in the health problems and new versions of diseases arising every now and then, more and more people are realizing the importance of natural products for the maintenance of health and wellbeing in people.
Natural supplements for a healthy skin
Planet Ayurveda has many dietary supplements that can help in supporting a healthy skin. Here is a combination of several health supplements that can be great for maintaining a healthy and beautiful skin.
Healthy Skin Pack -1
1. Radiant skin hair nail formula
It is a great natural supplement for the maintenance of healthy skin and hair.Dosage: 2 capsules, twice daily, with plain water after meals.
2. Neem Capsules
It is a pure nutraceutical preparation for supporting a healthy skin.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily, with plain water after meals.
3. Aloe vitals Capsules
Another natural supplement from the house of Planet Ayurveda. It contains standardized extract of Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbedensis).
Dosage: 2 capsules, twice daily, with plain water after meals.
4. Kumkumadi oil
It is a mixture of many herbs and oils blended in a very effective formulation that supports health of the skin.
Dosage: Take 3 - 5 ml of the oil and massage over the affected area of the skin.
In case of oily skin, kumkumadi oil can be avoided, but other supplements are safe for all skin types.
Where to buy Healthy Skin Pack - 1?
To buy Healthy Skin Pack - 1, please visit store.planetayurveda.com