Ayurveda Training in India 2017
Annual 9-day Ayurvedic Workshops in Rishikesh, India - By Vaidya Khabir from USA
- Fundamentals Principles and the Physiology of Ayurveda: Nov. 3rd - 11th
- Diagnosis Methods and Skills of Ayurveda: Nov. 11th - 19th
AYURVEDIC HEALTH-CARE TRAINING FOR WESTERNERS
By Viadya Khabir supported by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurveda) and Dr. Amit Raj.
Held at Maa Yoga Ashram, Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh, India.
Sponsored by Planet Ayurveda, India.
* No prior training or knowledge of Ayurveda is required.
LINKS: Introduction, course contents, schedule of classes, guest speakers, costs, photos of venue, payment, testimonial, flyer,
Facebook page with updates
Presenter and Organizer
Khabir Southwick - Internationally recognized Ayurvedic health-care practitioner, master herbalist, public speaker and author with over 20 years of clinical experience. This course is presented for those who are interested in, studying or actively practicing [clinical] Ayurvedic healthcare. "These courses are my response to the many people over the years who have requested authentic and substantive hands-on training in Ayurvedic health-care (kayachikitsa). Most courses on this subject are often unclear about clinical applications, overly detailed or just too academic. For those who don't know much Sanskrit traditional courses on Ayurveda can also be confusing.
The goal of these workshops is to help [western] students and practitioners of Ayurveda to better grasp the functional and clinical applications of Ayurveda. The classes are straightforward and clear without much Sanskrit terminology or references to ancient texts.
Being a small group and having 3 meals a day together provides an excellent environment for questions and open discussion. Combined with Ayurvedic meals and prominent guest speakers each workshop will be a deep immersion in Ayurveda ." Khabir
Vegetarian Ayurvedic prepared meals will be provided in Maa Yoga Ashram a small beautiful ashram close to the ganges river in Laxman Jhula area, Rishikesh India.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan BAMS, MD (AYURVEDA) well-known Ayurvedic doctor with a large clinic in Chandigarh, India, and owner of Planet Ayurveda worldwide distributor of quality Ayurvedic products.
Dr. Munni Lal Maurya of HEMADRI AYURVEDA CENTER in Rishikesh will be our guest speak on the evening of the 4th after dinner, and may join us for dinner.
* More speakers to be announced.
Participants will receive a certification for 60 hours (40 hours of classroom study and 20 hours of self-study) of completed study in AYURVEDA FUNDAMENTALS AND ANATOMY or DIAGNOSIS METHODS AND SKILL OF AYURVEDA. After completing all 4 courses totally 300 hours a graduation certificate will be provided and you will be certified as an AYURVEDIC HEALTH CONSULTANT. The certificate will be issued by Planet Ayurveda and signed by Khabir, Dr. Vikram Chauhan and Dr. Amrit Raj in behalf or Maa Yoga Ashram.
Facebook page with updates
SCHEDULE for each workshop
OPENING - 1st day/evening
- 6:00 pm Dinner
- Introduction to the course - 7:00pm by Khabir
- Talk: Common Misunderstanding of Ayurveda or the Power and importance of accurate diagnosis skills
- Question and answer session
* Puja ceremony on the morning of the first day
DAILY SCHEDULE - For 7 days
- 7:30 Yoga class (optional)
- 8:45 Breakfast
- 9:30 am - 1:00pm class with a 30-minute break
- 1:00 pm Lunch
- 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm - Free time
- 3:00 pm to 4:00 Pranayama, meditation, chanting (optional)
- 4:30 to 6:30 class with Khabir
- 7:00 pm Dinner
- Evening events and various guest speakers.
- 8:45 Breakfast
- 9:30 am - 12:30 Providing of certification; feedback and comments from participants; final closing words from Khabir.
Fundamental Principles and Physiology of Ayurveda - Nov. 3rd to 11th
According to classical teachings.
The subject is explained to:
- Developed and improve clinical diagnostic and treatment skills (not to provide an academic review).
- Develop a good foundation in Ayurveda by understanding the Ayurvedic perspective of the human body: Anatomy and Physiology;
- Learn to view the human body, its functions, and imbalances in terms of the doshas (body types), dosha subtypes, dhatus (tissues) and srotamsi (systems), waste products (mala),prana (life force), ojas (immunity), etc.
This practical and intensive workshop will establish the foundation to proper Ayurvedic diagnosis and ultimately proper treatments. (Ayurveda anatomy is very different from the western view). Ayurvedic therapies are based on Ayurvedic anatomy and energetics so it is essential to learn before proceeding with diagnosis skills, herbology (Dravya Guna), dietary counseling (ahara chikitsa), panchakarma (5 types of detoxification), rasayana (rejuvenation or nutritional therapy), etc.
Part 1: Fundamental Principles of Ayurveda
- Day 1, part 1: Understanding the 5 elements - Akash (Space), Vayu (Air), Jal (Water), Agni (Fire) and Prithvi (Earth) and their attributes (gunas).
- Day 1, part 2: Understand clearly the Tri-Dosha theory (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) and the 15 Sub Doshas, their locations, qualities and common disorders.
- Learn how every physical characteristic, mental capacity and the emotional tendency of a human being can, therefore, be explained in terms of the tridoshas.
Part 2: Ayurvedic Anatomy and Energetics
- Day 2: Learn about the concepts of Prakruti (your original "body type") & your Vikruti (current imbalances)*.
- Day 3, part 1: Understand Agni (digestive fire) - Understating the roles and functions of Agni, the main types of Agni, trikhsa agni (high), visham agni (variable), manda agni (dull), sama agni (balanced), and the subtypes of Agni.
- Day 3, part 2: Learn about Ama (metabolic toxins) and Malas (body's waste products): Understand the three primary malas being Purisa (feces), Mutra (urine) and Sweda (sweat), types and causes of Ama.
- Day 4: Learn about the 7 Dhatus (body tissues): the Rasa (fluid) Dhatu, Rakta (blood) Dhatu, Masma Dhatu (muscle tissue), Meda (fat) Dhatu, Majja Dhatu (bone marrow tissue and nerves) and Shukra Dhatu (reproductive tissue). Learn how Dhatus form the pillars of the body that form the means of nourishment and growth while providing support to the body as well as the mind.
- Day 5: Learn about 14 Srotamsi [essential for clinical practice] (channels or systems): 3 channels that revive food, prana (energy) and water; 7 bodily channels which nourish and maintain the body's tissue (dhatu); 3 eliminating channels for feces, urine and sweat; the mano vahya srotas (the channel of the mind).
- Day 6, part 1: Learn about the qualities and functionality of Prana (energy), Tejas (metabolic fire) and Ojas (immunity).
- Day 6, part 2: Understanding the three gunas - Satwa, Rajas and Tamas (states of mind)- and their essential components or energies of the mind.
Part 3: Review and apply knowledge of Ayurveda anatomy
- Day 7: Each participant will present an assessment of their individual:
- Prakruti (original body-mind type) and vikruti (current imbalanced doshas) and sub-dosha imbalances
- State of agni and ama
- State of each dhatu (tissue) and the respective srotamis (channels)
- State of prana, Tejas and Ojas
- State of mind based on the gunas: Satwa, Rajas, Tamas.
Diagnosis Methods of Ayurveda Nov. 11th to the 19th
According to classical teachings.
Part 1: Diagnosis methods - day 1
- Questioning skills – Asking about health history, symptoms, diet and digestion (Prashnana)
- Observation skills - Reading the face, nails, eyes, skin and body (darshana)
- Touching skills - Reading the pulse, skin and organs (Sparshana)
Part 2: Diagnosing dosha, dhatsu (tissues), mala (waste) - day 2-7
- Diagnosing doshic imbalances: Vata, Pitta, Kapha (dosha Vriddhi)
- Understanding the 6 stages of disease (Kriyakala)
- Diagnosing digestion (agni)
- Diagnosing toxins (ama) by observing the tongue
- Analysis of the 3, bodily wastes (mala)
- Diagnosing by observation of the skin, nails, face
- Analysis of 10 body systems (srotamsi)
- Diagnosing by the surface and deep pulse (nadi pariksha)
- Understanding the rhythms of the doshas
*English translations are simplified. In the workshop through explanations, examples and handouts will be provided to explain each of these Sanskrit words that are important in clinical Ayurveda diagnosis and treatment.
COSTS FOR EACH WORKSHOP
US$550 for each 9-day workshop, certification and an Ayurveda herbal shopping tour by Khabir, and for 8 nights accommodation with organic meals, drinks for 7 days, 1 evening and 1 breakfast on the first and last days respectively; and morning and afternoon yoga classes (not provided by Khabir). Room is a single or double as available at Maa Yoga Ashram.
INCLUDES: 9 days, 8 nights and 7 days of teaching, 35 hours interactive teaching with Khabir and 15 hours of lectures. Includes handouts and material and certification for 60 hours. Includes 3 meals a day and drinks for 7 days and yoga instruction in the mornings and afternoons most days. Dinner on the first night and breakfast on the last day are included.
* Panchakarma, massage, private consultations and other treatments sold separately by Maa Yoga Ashram and associates of Khabir.
Limited to 12 participants - Register ASAP.
The beautiful and peaceful Maa Yoga Ashram, Rishikesh India.
CONFIRMING YOUR ATTENDANCE
INR 22,000 (Includes classes only for Indian residents; excludes meals, accommodation, yoga classes, textbook, and other events).
USD $550 (For foreigners; includes meals, accommodation, yoga classes, textbook, and other events).
PAY A DEPOSIT
Please pay the $100 deposit for each workshop to reserve your attendance only. (Balance of $450 due before September 1st, 2017).
Alternatively, send payment by paypal to email@example.com
Ask about other options and group rates.
- Maximum attendance is 10 local persons/course only participants and 12 foreign persons/full course.
- Khabir maintains the right to refuse attendance of any participant and refund all or any remaining balance of payment for any individual at any time before or during the course.
- The course on diagnosis is only available for those with a knowledge of the fundamentals of Ayurveda or also attending the course on the fundamental of Ayurveda prior.
- Courses are provided in English with no transition provided.
- Indian nationals are welcome to pay for the full program with accommodation and food.
- Contact Khabir at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the course.
Facebook page with updates
"Khabir has a wealth of knowledge and experience in Ayurveda to cement the textbook learning" Robert Linson, El Dorado, California
"Thanks your Khabir for teaching us in a clear and practical "western" style about such subtle eastern science" Corinne, France and India.
"I found Khabir's method and choice of supportive material thorough and expansive. I look forward to learning more from Khabir in the future." Benard Bennett, Austin Texas.
Tours of India and extra days in Rishikesh can be arranged. Ayurvedic treatments like Ayurvedic Massage/abhyanga, Shirodhara, panchakarma (vamana, verecharna, basti, nasya and rakta moksha) and herbal products can be purchased from the sponsors at a discounted rate. *
Does not include:
- Personal travel costs to India and health insurance.
- Cost of Visa (Please apply in advance it is very easy. Details are here)
- Travel from the airport to Rishikesh but can be arranged for $100 paid in India (see below)
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
$100 deposit is Non-Refundable. Balance due by September 1st 2017. (Your payment of the deposit for the workshop signifies your agreement with this policy.)
For updates and informal RSVP see the Facebook page here.
Khabir at 805-308-3480 for more information or send a message.
AIR TICKETS & TRAVEL
For a recommended travel agent to purchase tickets around the word call AAKASH TRAVEL at 310-838-6786. They specialize in tickets to India. Shahdeen is aware of this tour and can make recommendations for what flights are best and can book your ticket. (I, Khabir, purchase all my tickets with her).
**Travel arrangements and tickets can be provided by Aakash Tours, Los Angeles.
A DRIVER FROM NEW DELHI AIRPORT TO RISHIKESH, MAA YOGA ASHRAM can be arranged.
Part 3: Treatment and Herbology (Dravya Guna) - Use of Herbs, Herbs For Digestion, Herbs for Digestive Strength, Herbal combinations, Medicated Aloe, Use of Honey, Herbal medicines in different forms.
Part 4: Detoxification and Purification (Pancha Karma) - Body Work and Steam Therapy (Snehana-Swedhana), Shirodhara (Mind Therapy), Rakta Moksha (Blood Letting), Basti (Enemas), Therapeutic Vomiting (Vamana). Rejuvenation and Tonification Protocols and Treatments.