Ayurveda is the gift of India to the world. It brings with it the rich inherited properties of its herbs, minerals, and resins. Ayurveda introduced the world to the curative actions of Yoga. The western world recognizes India for its herbs and Yoga. Ayurveda is the art and science of using herbs, minerals, and naturally produced substances to bring balance to body and mind by inculcating a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. Brahmi is a long used plant in diet by ancient Ayurvedic practitioners for a healthy and strong body.
The botanical name of Brahmi is Bacopa Monnieri.
The herb is derived from the family of Plantaginaceae although it can also be placed under the families Scrophulariaceae, Gratiolaceae, or Veronicaceae also.(2, 4)
Brahmi, bacopa, Babies tear, Herpestis monniera, water hyssop are the commonly referred names of Bacopa Monnieri.
Whole Plant is used in the production of capsules.
SANSKRIT AND BRAHMI
Brahmi is derived from the Sanskrit language. It is a derivative of BRAHMAN; the name of LORD BRAHMA. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Brahma is the creator. He creates energy, forces, and life. Brahma stands for universal consciousness.(1, 2, 3)
It is also known as Saraswati for the Goddess of learning and wisdom and Somavati that stands for full for nectar. All these derivatives and quotes tell us about the inherent powers of this herb derived from the BRAHMI plant.
ANCIENT AYURVEDA AND BRAHMI
The sages of Ayurveda used Brahmi for a healthy brain, mind, and body. Vedas have numerous mentions of Brahmi for its role in the health working of Hrdaya (heart), Ayushya (longetivity), Medhya (intellect), Majjadhaty Rasayana (nervous system rejuvenation), Balya (strength, especially mind), Jivaniya (life energy), Nidrajanana (sleep), Anuloma (redirecting the flow of vata downwards), and Dhana (wealth).(3, 5, 6)
Brahmi is found throughout the Indian sub-continent. The plant is a creep. The plant grows in the marshy zones of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, China, Taiwan, and the USA. The Hawaiian island, and the state of Florida are rich in Brahmi plants.(4)
Bacopa Monnieri is a creepy herb that grows in branches, is small with thick leaves that grow opposite to each other on the stem. Usually found in marshes, Brahmi can grow in wetlands, shallow waters, and muddy zones. It does not require much sun to grow being an aquatic plant.
WHAT ARE THE DIETARY HEALTH BENEFITS OF BRAHMI?
The plant of Brahmi has been used since ancient time by Ayurveds for Brain and memory power. They believed that Brahmi has highly beneficial effects on the Brain. It was also used for its stress relieving effects. The Vedas have references of Brahmi as used by the ancient physicians in numerous health conditions. Although, scientific benefits of Brahmi are still under research but we at Planet Ayurveda recommend its use as a dietary supplement only. It can only act as a supplement and should not be taken in place of proper medical treatment.
A few salient features noticed and recorded over years for Brahmi benefits are:
Effects on brain
Brahmi has been used since ages for its actions on the brain cells. Ancient Ayurveds believe that Brahmi has health benefits on the brain cell. In recent studies and research, Bacosides- an active compound in Brahmi showed therapeutic influence on the degrading cells of brain in Alzheimer's disease. The research also showed that Brahmi can also influence regeneration of brain cells in a topositive manner. (8, 9)
Effects on liver
Brahmi is a very good supplement in diet for the healthy functioning of liver. It alkaloids helps detoxify our liver and enhance its life.
Hypoglycemia in Infants and neonates
In case of neonates, hypoglycemia can lead to serious brain damage. Glucose is very important for brain functioning. In neonates, low blood glucose can lead to damage of brain functions and cognitive functions. Bacosides can protect the neurons in brain impairment. Researchers are currently studying the effects of bacosides on damaged brain neurons. (10)
Swelling and redness
Brahmi has been in use for several years for irritation induced redness and swelling. It is believed that Brahmi has anti-allergic properties. Researches have been going on to understand the effects of Brahmi on the boy's autoimmune response.(11)
The first isolated alkaloid from Brahmi was 'Brahmine'.(12) Brahmi has been researchers' favorite over the last few decades. Different researches on its chemical constitution, its therapeutic powers, and its pharmacologic effects have been carried out. Two important alkaloids of Brahmi are Saponins and sterols.(13) There have been special investigations of bacosides A and B. these have nootropic action (Medhya Rasayana). (14)
In a research on rodents, the extract of Brahmi has similar action as anti-depressant drug imipramine on anti-depressant activity. Another fact that came out in this study was the role of Brahmi on serotonin and GABA receptors for its anti-depressant and anti-anxiety activity.(12)
Brahmi possesses some anti-cancer activity. This is a research under study at present and some conclusions have been drawn by studying the effects on rats. These studies show that Brahmi increases the anti- oxidant count and reduces the markers of tumor progression in fibro sarcoma.(3) Also, studies prove that if Bacoside-A is given as a preventive, it prevents surge of lipid peroxidase activity of the serum marker enzymes and therefore maintains the antioxidants. The effect of this is the prevention of Diethyl nitrosamine-induced hepatocellular carcinoma. (3)
There are some studies on animals to demonstrate the effects of Brahmi on Broncho-constrictive and allergies. The results show that it acts as a relaxant on chemically-induced bronchoconstriction. The studies done in vitro on pigs and rabbits show a vasodilatory effect on the aortas and pulmonary arteries. This could be calcium chloride-induced contraction in these tissue. (12)
WHAT ARE OUR BRAHMI CAPSULES?
At Planet Ayurveda we strive to bring to you anything but the best. Our Brahmi capsules are a 100% natural, high-quality extract of potent Brahmi plant. It is procured from the best available trees under completely hygienic conditions. We process the manufacturing of our capsules in closed germ-free environment and package them into capsules. The processing and packaging of the Brahmi capsules is done with minimal human intervention.
The capsules of Brahmi are natural 100% pure Brahmi. There are no fillers added to the capsule. We use no animal products in these capsules and they are completely vegetarian.
We at plant Ayurveda try to raise the standards of quality by raising the bar of quality a notch above the others in the market offering similar products. We strive to bring to our loyal customers the best products formed under extremely hygienic conditions. We do not use chemicals, fillers, yeast, starch, or any kind of preservatives in our formulations.
HOW CAN I USE BRAHMI DAILY?
The capsules prepared at Planet Ayurveda are completely natural and vegetarian products. They contain no wheat, dairy, or other food supplements. Brahmi capsules can be consumed with warm water. The capsule should be consumed as a whole and breaking it is not recommended. We recommend 2 capsules daily for adults and 1 capsule a day for children.
Brahmi has no side effects on the body owing to its natural occurrence and safe preparation in our laboratories. Its regular usage for long periods is considered safe. No withdrawal or habit forming symptoms have ever been reported.
Caution: Although, Brahmi has no known side effects, pregnant females and lactating mothers should consume it only under medical supervision.
HOW LONG WILL A SINGLE BOTTLE OF BRAHMI CAPSULES LAST?
There are 60 vegetarian natural capsules per bottle of Brahmi. It is advised to consume 1-2 capsules per day. Based on personal body requirements and dosage a bottle should last anywhere from 15 to 30 days. Regular intake is recommended for best results.
Where to buy Brahmi capsules?
To buy Brahmi capsules, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/brahmi-capsules.html
Standard supplement disclaimer
Pregnant or lactating women and any one under a physician's care for any health condition should consult with their physician before using any dietary supplements. This information is in no means complete, final, or proceeding towards any medical studies. It is for general educational purposes only and should not be substitutes for a medical consultation.
- Dr. David Frawley & Dr. Vasant Lad, Yoga of Herbs. Lotus press 2001, 239-241
- Sebastian Pole, Ayurvedic Medicine- The principles of traditional practice. Singing dragon 2013, 149-150
- D. sudharani, K. L. Krishna, K. Deval, A.K.Safia and Priya, "Pharmacological profiles of Bacopa monnieri: a review," International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol 1, no. 1, 2011, pp. 15-23
- The Wikipedia Encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri
- Rauf K, Subhan F, Abbas M, Badshah A, Ullah I, Ullah S. Effect of Bacopasides on acquisition and expression of morphine tolerance. Phytomedicine. 2011 Jul 15;18(10):836-42. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2011.01.023.
- Shinomol GK, Muralidhara. Bacopa monnieri modulates endogenous cytoplasmic and mitochondrial oxidative markers in prepubertal mice brain. Phytomedicine. 2011 Feb 15;18(4):317-26. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2010.08.005.
- Government of India Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Department of Ayush, THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, Part- I, Volume – II, pp. 25- 27 http://www.ayurveda.hu/api/API-Vol-2.pdf
- Singh RH, Narsimhamurthy K, Singh G. Neuronutrient impact of Ayurvedic Rasayana therapy in brain aging. Biogerontology. 2008 Dec;9(6):369-74. doi: 10.1007/s10522-008-9185-z.
- Rastogi M, Ojha RP, Prabu PC, Devi BP, Agrawal A, Dubey GP. Prevention of age-associated neurodegeneration and promotion of healthy brain ageing in female Wistar rats by long term use of bacosides. Biogerontology. 2012 Apr;13(2):183-95. doi: 10.1007/s10522-011-9367-y.
- Thomas RB, Joy S, Ajayan MS, Paulose CS. Neuroprotective potential of Bacopa monnieri and Bacoside A against dopamine receptor dysfunction in the cerebral cortex of neonatal hypoglycaemic rats. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2013 Nov;33(8):1065-74. doi: 10.1007/s10571-013-9973-0.
- Williams R, Münch G, Gyengesi E, Bennett L. Bacopamonnieri (L.) exerts anti-inflammatory effects on cells of the innate immune system in vitro. Food Funct. 2014 Jan 22
- Kashmira J. Gohil & Jagruti A. Patel, "A review on Bacopa monnieri: Current research and future prospects," International journal of green pharmacy, Vol 4, Issue:1, 2010, pp. 1-9
- Wendy Weissner, article: "Brahmi and Cognition: Nature's Brainpower Enhancer" http://ayurveda-nama.org/pdf/resources/NAMA_Brahmi_Weissner.pdf
- Russo A, Borrelli F., "Bacopa monniera, a reputed nootropic plant: an overview," Phytomedicine. 2005 Apr; 12(4):305-17.