Herbal Remedies for Gout (High Uric Acid)
What is gout?
Gout is an inflammatory condition of the joints which is characterized by the presence of fleeting pain and swelling which appears first in the smaller joints and later affects bigger ones.
What causes gout?
Gout appears due to the deposition of uric acid crystals in the joint spaces of people suffering from hyperuricemia or high levels of uric acid in blood.
How Ayurveda explains Gouty arthritis?
According to Ayurveda, The Ayurvedic term for Gout is Vata-Rakta. It signifies the association of Vata disorder (joint pain) along with vitiated Pitta dosha and Rakta Dhatu in the development of the disease.
The understanding of modern medicine and Ayurveda is almost similar when considering Gout or Hyperuricemia.
What is the cause of raised uric acid levels in blood?
Uric Acid is a byproduct of Purine (Protein) metabolism, present naturally in body and in various foods such as asparagus, mushrooms, meats, usually high protein foods with fat.
Usually excess of uric acid passes out through kidneys. Sometimes, either body produces more uric acid or body is not able to excrete it out as part of the normal metabolism. In both conditions, the blood level of uric acid rises causing hyperuricemia.
Factors causing raised uric acid levels in blood
- Diuretic medications (water pills)
- Excessive alcohol intake.
- Genetics (inherited tendency)
- Hypothyroidism (a thyroid disorder)
- Immuno-suppressive drugs
- Niacin, or vitamin B-3
- Purine-rich diet - organ meat, game meat, anchovies, herring, gravy, dried beans, dried peas, mushrooms and other foods
- Renal insufficiency - inability of the kidneys to filter waste
- Tumor lysis syndrome - a rapid release of cells into the blood caused by certain cancers or by chemotherapy for those cancers
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Gout?
- Pain in joints (smaller joints are affected at first than, larger ones)
- Nocturnal intensification of pain.
- The pain is fleeting in nature shifting from one joint to another.
- Signs of inflammation include pain, redness, swelling, and temperature etc. at the site of the affected joint.
How to diagnose Gout?
On the basis of Clinical signs and symptoms, as mentioned above, gout can be easily diagnosed I any person.
Raised serum uric acid levels are confirmatory.
Blood investigations of the patient having raised serum uric acid levels above 7.2mg/dl is confirmatory.
Normal range of serum uric acid is -3.5-7.2 mg/dl.
Diet, Exercises and lifestyle changes for managing Gout
- Low protein diet is advised to bring down the raised uric acid levels naturally. Most animal proteins are harmful for gout patients, amongst plant proteins green gram and pink lentils are the better options. It is however advised to minimize intake of all kinds of proteins in general.
- Spicy and salty food should be avoided as they cause water retention and increase the swelling in the affected joints.
- Discourage consumption of fast food. All kinds of junk food, processed food, sodas and aerated drinks are strictly to be avoided in the diet of gout patients.
- Yoga exercises help keep the metabolism at par and regular practice provides relief to aching joints.
- Moderate exercises like dancing, aerobics, walking and jogging can be performed to prevent the stiffness of joints and improve mobility and flexibility of the joints.
- A delicate balance of the right diet and proper exercise is very essential for maintaining health and wellbeing.
Do herbal remedies prove to be effective in the treatment of gout?
Many websites claim to cure medical conditions like gout through many herbal remedies. There is a lot of information available about different kinds of herbs and how they offer a miraculous cure of the condition but, it is to be remembered that the management of any health condition requires proper treatment procedures and investigations which are unique for every patient.
Therefore, it is better to gather enough knowledge and awareness about the health condition and what all things can benefit it, before blindly going for any kind of treatment procedure.
Herbal Remedies for Gout (High Uric Acid)
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Gout Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of gout (high uric acid). These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Giloy Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
- Kaishore Guggul - 2 tablets twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
- Navkarshik Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
- Punarnava Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
Where to buy Gout Care Pack?
To buy Gout Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/gout-care-pack.html