Reference: Sahasra Yoga Kashaya prakarana 15 – 17
Ashtavargam Kashayam is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine in liquid form. It is used for the treatment of rheumatic diseases. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic actions of this medicine are quite good in reducing the inflammation, stiffness and swelling. It is used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, frozen shoulder, ankylosing spondylitis, paralytic disorders etc.
- Bala – Sida rotusa / Sida cordifolia
- Sahachara – Strobilanthes ciliatus
- Eranda – Ricinus communis
- Ginger – Zingiber officinale
- Rasna – Pluchea lanceolata
- Devadaru – Cedrus deodara
- Nirgundi – Vitex negundo
- Garlic – Allium sativum
Method of Preparation
All the above mentioned ingredients are added with 8 parts of water. It is boiled until reduced to quarter part to make the ashtavargam kashayam.
Take 12 – 24 ml, before food, at about 6 am and 6pm or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
It is usually advised to add equal amount of water to the kashayam (decoction).
- Joint diseases
- Pain in muscles
- Joint Stiffness
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Muscle Pains
- General body pains
- Gout (along with Giloy preparations)
- Facial Palsy
- There are no known side effects of using this medicine.
- High dosage of this medicine may cause gastritis.