Description of plant
Bhringraj is creeping herb about 3mt in height. It is annual, erect and branched herb often rooting at nodes. It has white colored flowers with long stalk is placed on short, flat and rounded stem. Leaves are opposite, sessile and lance shaped. Well-developed roots of this plant are cylindrical and grayish in color. Floral heads are white in color, solitary, winged narrowly and about 6-8mm in diameter. This plant is moisture loving and grows in moist places throughout world.
Eclipta abla is commonly called false daisy. Sanskrit name of Brhingraj are Bhringraja and Tekarajah and common Hindi names are Bhangra and Babri. It is one main herb that is used in hair dyes. China and Brazil are using this herb as anti-venom for snake poisoning. It is common weed in India throughout waste grounds.
In ayurveda bhringraj is considered to be rasayana, herb for longevity and rejuvenation. Main principle of ayurveda is to balance tridosha and this herbs works wonderfully on tridosha and maintains their balance. Bhringraj is wonderful herb used in AYURVEDA for hair care and cirrhosis. It rejuvenates memory, hair, teeth, bones, vision and hearing. This herb is rich in chemical compound called ecliptine. Leaves of this plant are rich in proteins and extract is resinous in nature. It is a general tonic in case of debility. It is antioxidant, analgesic, antiviral, antibacterial, anticancer and heptao-protective in nature. It also contains wedololactone, amyrin, heptacosanol, hentriacontanol and stigmasterol.
It is native of India and Southwest America. It occurs as a weed and found throughout India in paddy growing fields. In many parts of India it is grown for medicinal purposes. It is also found in China and Brazil.
- Kingdom – Plantae
- Family - Asteraceae
- Order – Asterales
- Latin name – Eclipta Alba
- Common name – False daisy
- Hindi name – Bhangra, Bhangaraiya
- Kannada name – Garagada soppu, Garga
- Telugu name – Kayanthakara, Kaikeshi
- Marathi name – Maka
- Gujarati name – Bhangaro
- Bengali name – Kesuriya
- Punjabi name – Bhangra
- Malayalam name – Jala bhangara, Tekaraja
- Arabic name – Kadimulabit
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Rasa||Katu, Tikta||Taste||Pungent, Bitter|
|Guna||Laghu, Ruksha||Physical Property||Light, Dry|
|Vipaka||Katu||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)||Pungent|
Effects on Doshas
It balances Vata and Kapha doshas.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita||Vagbhata||Bhavprakash|
Ancient verse of Eclipta Alba
Bhringraj, bhringraj, markav, bhring, angarak, keshraj, bhringaar and keshranjan all are different names of Eclipta Alba. This herb has various properties such as it is pungent in taste, have hot potency, dry, pacifies vata, kapha and good for hair. It is aphrodisiac, good for skin and tooth, provides strength to body and used to cure worm infestation, cough, asthma, inflammation, toxins, anemia, leprosy, skin disorders and various disorders associated with head.
Rajnighantu describes this herb under moolakadi gana.
According to Rajnighantu there are three types of Bhringraj:-
- Shweta bhringraj (white variety)
- Peet bhringraj (yellow variety)
- Neel bhringraj (blue variety)
This herb is effective in various disorders that are mentioned below:-
- Jathraagni deepaka – Herb used to stimulate digestive fire.
- Ruchivardakam – Herbs used as appetizer.
- Netrahitkara- Herbs good for eyes.
- Keshranjaka – Herbs good for hair.
- Kapha-vish nashaka – Herb to destroy kapha dosha and poisons.
Practical uses of Eclipta Alba
- Bhringraj is preventive herb to stop ageing and it also balances pitta dosha in body.
- Best way to use bhringraj is in oil form. This bringhraj oil has amazing benefits, it helps to prevent hair fall, premature graying of hair and split ends. It helps in strengthening hair roots, promotes growth and good for overall hair care.
- Simple paste of bhringraj leaves are used in baldness. Bhringraj extract is very effective to promote hair growth.
- Bhringraj is also good for healthy functioning of liver. Liver is main site of metabolism of body and this herb is used to improve liver metabolism. It provides strength to liver and cures various liver disorders and promotes overall liver health.
- Bhringraj leaves are very effective for skin disorders, minor skin allergies and cracked heels.
- It is considered as a rasayana and it helps in rejuvenating the body.
- It also help in the process of digestion and it helps to reduce ama (undigested food).
- It is very effective for eyesight and helps in the purification of blood in body.
- Juice of leaves of this herb are used in the dehydration.
- Its leave extract is also used to get relief from toothache.
- It has anti-microbial properties and it is used to cure various infections caused by bacteria.
- A black dye obtained from this herb is used in hair dyes and for tattooing.
- It pacifies vata and kapha dosha.
- Seed oil
- Whole plant
- Oil – 3-5 drops
- Fresh juice – 5-10ml
- Powder – 2– 3 gm in divided doses
Planet Ayurveda Products that Use this Herb
Bhringaraja is acrid, bitter, hot and dry, is a good rejuvenator. It is good for hair and skin, expels intestinal worms, cures cough and asthma and strengthens body. It is considered a specific in night blindness, eye diseases, headache and disease pertaining to hair and its growth. Traditionally, the drug is extensively used against jaundice. Its juice has power to check the adverse effects in liver caused by alcohol and CCL4. It is used for treatment of skin disorders, loss of appetite, acidity, heart burn, jaundice and anemia.
Hair Growth Formula is a wonderful blend of herbs that is effective in treating hair loss and the underlying conditions that cause hair loss. It build blood, balance hormones, direct nourishing blood to the scalp. This formula is full of natural hair growth vitamins which makes it most effective of all hair loss treatments. This formula prevents thinning of hair, premature graying of hair, prevents hair loss.
Yakrit Plihantak Churna (Yakrit means liver and Pliha means Spleen) is a herbal mixture of rare herbs to improve liver function. It helps the liver in clearing away the toxins. It regenerates the liver cells and prevents liver failure. It is useful herbal remedy fro fatty liver and liver cirrhosis, jaundice, liver damage due to alcohol, toxins and infection.Share with your friends: