Candidiasis is a fungal infection that can affect any area of body such as skin, genitals, throat, mouth, blood. It is caused by the yeast called Candida. There are about 20 species of candida that may cause infection but Candida albicans is most common yeast infection. Normally it is found in small amount in human body but Overgrowth of candida results in infection or diseased condition. This problem can be managed with the help of modern science as well Ayurvedic science.
According to Ayurveda, to eradicate the yeast infection it is important to address the main cause of infection while using herbal formulations to balance the body towards health. There are numerous herbs present in nature that help to manage the symptoms associated with disease such as Lodhra (Symplocus racemosa), Ashok (Saraca indica), Udumbur (Ficus glomerata), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna).
Types of Candidiasis
There are several types of candidiasis according to the part of body affected. These are:
- Oral Candidiasis: Infection of mouth or throat is called Oropharyngeal/ Esophageal candidiasis or thrush. It commonly occurs in children.
- Genital Candidiasis: Infection of genital area is called yeast infection. It is also called vaginal yeast infection or Vulvovaginal Candidiasis in women.
- Diper Rash: It mainly occurs in babies in the bottom area.
- Invasive Candidiasis or Candidemia: When infection enters the blood stream is known as invasive candidiasis.
Symptoms of Candidiasis
Symptoms may vary in person and area affected by infection.
Some common symptoms may include:
- Burning sensation
Causes of Candidiasis
Small amount of yeast (candida) is present over the skin naturally but in excess it may cause infection that may be due to some reasons. It depends upon the area affected by candida.
The common causes may include:
- Environmental factors - warm weather and moist area is more common for growth of Candida albicans.
- Tight clothing
- Unhygienic conditions
- Medicines- antibiotics used to kill harmless bacteria and fungi.
- Weak immune system.
- Wet skin
- Diseased condition - diabetes, pregnancy or any other medical complication.
In Ayurveda, candidiasis is considered as Agnimandya or deficient digestion. Due to improper digestion accumulation of toxins (ama) occur in body which is by product of undigested food. These toxins enter into blood stream or lymphatic system which creates toxicity and results in many health diseases. It mainly occurs at the seat of vata in the lower digestive tract. As the ama accumulates in the large and small intestines, it will putrefy and ferment thus inhibiting the normal flora from proliferating. Then in next stage, the growth of candida is a result of intestinal absorption of ama into liver and blood.
According to Ayurveda, there are three doshas responsible for candidiasis which are explained below:-
- Vata dosha - It is mainly due to excessive intake of pungent, bitter or sugar, high proteins, wheat, dairy or nuts, cold foods, irregular eating and sleeping habits. The main symptoms of vata dosha are dryness of skin, nervousness, mood instability, inability to cope, constipation, energy imbalance.
- Pitta dosha - It is aggravated due to intake of pungent, spicy, sour and acidic foods.
- Kapha dosha - It is aggravated by the intake of heavy, oily, and cold food. Overeating and sleeping immediately after breakfast or lunch generates Ama (toxins).
Management of Candidiasis
Candidiasis can be managed with the help of Ayurvedic medicines. Ayurveda provides herbal and natural remedies to manage the symptoms of candidiasis. Ayurveda mainly works on the principle of balance of tri energies (vata, pitta and kapha). There are numerous herbs present in nature that help to manage the symptoms associated with disease such as Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Ashok (Saraca indica), Udumbur (Ficus glomerata), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna).
Herbal Remedies for Candidiasis by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Neem Capsules, Gandhak Rasayan, Pradarantak Churna & Nirgundi Oil for ayurvedic treatment of candidiasis (yeast infection). These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
It is 100% natural product offered by Planet Ayurveda which is obtained from neem (Azadirachta indica) belongs to family Meliaceae. It is native to India and Indian subcontinent including Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri lanka.
- It helps to maintain healthy skin.
- It possesses anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It has positive effects on skin diseases like eczema, acne or psoriasis.
DOSE: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
These are herbal tablets which are made from Shuddh Gandhak (Purified Sulphur). The word rasayan means rejuvenation. Its natural property is to rejuvenate the body without any side effect. It helps to remove toxins from body.
DOSE: 2 tablets twice in a day with plain water after meals
It is a special herbal formulation which is useful in different health problems mainly in females. It is useful in different health related problems in women like painful menstruation, fibroids, cysts or hormonal imbalance. It is a mixture of different herbs which are explained below:
Ingredients of Pradrantak Churna:
- Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna): Its scientific name is Terminalia arjuna belongs to family combretaceae. It is native to India. This herb is used in many disease conditions. It balances all three doshas in body. It is useful in various infections like urinary tract infection.
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa): Its bark is used as a uterine tonic. It helps to control bleeding as it has astringent effect. It is beneficial in relieving gynecological conditions.
- Ashok (Saraca indica): It has coolant property in body and helps in pitta aggravated states. It helps to relieve from symptoms of candidiasis like burning sensation,infection. It helps to relieve menstrual pain in women.
- Udumbur (Ficus glomerata): It has cleansing action on body. It helps to cleanse vaginal infections in a gentle way.
Dose : 1-2 teaspoonful twice daily, with water after meals.
4. NIRGUNDI OIL
It is a herbal oil with different herbs which are given below:
- Til oil (Sesamum indicum)
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Haldi (Curcuma longa)
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
- Kalihari (Gloriosa superba)
BENEFITS:- It has anti-inflammatory properties which helps to pacify inflammatory conditions.
Direction for use:- It is for external use only. Apply on affected skin area. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. It is more beneficial to apply nirgundi oil before bath to reduce swelling, pain and irritation.Share with your friends: