Dhanwantharam Kashayam - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
About Dhanwantharam Kashayam
Dhanwantaram kashayam is an Ayurvedic formulation which is used to treat various health ailments. It is present in the form of decoction and number of herbs are used to prepare this Ayurvedic formulation. Dhanwantaram kashayam is usually used to treat the diseases of the nervous system like paralysis, quadriplegia, hemiplegia and tissue wasting. It naturally provides strength to the muscles and nervous system. Other than this, this Ayurvedic formulation is used in the treatment of various diseases. Due to the presence of Vata pacifying herbs, it helps to relieve Vata disorders like numbness, pain, and swelling, rheumatic disorders, diseases of uterus, spondylosis, and hernia are also treated by its use.
Medicinal Properties of Dhanwantharam Kashayam
- Nervine tonic
- Uterine Tonic
Therapeutic Uses of Dhanwantharam Kashayam
- It is used to treat quadriplegia, facial paralysis or paralysis of any part of the body.
- Tissue wasting can be prevented and treated by regular use of Dhanwantharam Kashayam.
- This classical Ayurvedic formula is used for postnatal care of the mother and gynecological diseases.
- It works as a wonderful uterine tonic.
- Vata disorders can be treated by it due to the presence of Vata pacifying herbs in it.
- Facial paralysis, paraplegia, numbness and wasting in any part of the body can be treated by Dhanwantharam Kashayam.
- Dhanwantharam kashayam helps to treat symptoms of arthritis like pain, swelling, and numbness on feet and hands.
- It naturally treats backache.
- Other health ailments like hydrocele, hernia, endometriosis and urinary. incontinence can be treated by the proper use of Dhanwantharam Kashayam.
Ingredients of Dhanwantharam Kashayam
- Ksheerakakoli - Lilium polyphyllum
- Meda - Polygonatum cirrhifolium
- Mahameda - Polygonatum verticillatum
- Sariva - Hemidesmus indicus
- Bala - Sida cordifolia
- Kulthi - Dolichos biflorus
- Bilva - Aegle marmelos
- Shyonaka - Oroxylum indicum
- Patala - Stereospermum suaveolens
- Gambhari - Gmelina arborea
- Kantakari - Solanum xanthorarpum
- Gokshura - Tribulus terrestris
- Manjishtha - Rubia cordifolia
- Kakoli - Fritillaria royeli
- Lal chandan - Pterocarpus santalinus
- Jeevak - Microstylis wallichii
- Rishabhaka - Microstylis musifera
- Shaileyam - Parmelia perlata
- Agaru - Aquilaria agallocha
- Punarnava - Boerhavia diffusa
- Shatavari - Asparagus racemosa
- Ksheerashukla - Fritallaria roylei
- Haritaki - Terminalia chebula
- Mulethi - Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Bibhitaki - Terminalia bellerica
- Amla - Emblica officinalis
- Mashaparni - Teramnus labialis
- Dalchini - Cinnamomum zeylanicum
- Elaichi - Elettaria cardamomum
- Tejpatta - Cinnamomum tamala
- Mudgaparni - Phaseolus trilobus
Ayurvedic Properties of Dhanwantharam Kashayam
- Effects on humor (Dosha karma) - It pacifies the Vata dosha
- Effect on tissues (Dhatu) - Rakta, Asthi, and Rasa
- Effect on organs - Muscles, nerves, joints, and bones
- Indicated in - Vata disorders, mainly.
Its reference is taken from Ashtanga Hridayam. Its method of preparation and herbs used to prepare it remain the same every time. Dhanvantharam kashayam can be taken with allopathic medicines but it is better to take it after one hour of the allopathic medicines.
Indications of Dhanwantharam Kashayam
- Facial paralysis
- Paralysis of any of the body part
- Weakness of muscles
- Wasting of tissues
- Cervical, lumbar, or thoracic spondylosis
- Urinary incontinence
- Pain in joints
- Diseases of the uterus like endometriosis
- Vaginal disorders
- Postnatal care
Dosage of Dhanwantharam Kashayam
Take 5-10 ml of this Ayurvedic formulation on empty stomach. Take it for 1-2 times in a day, before meals, mixed with water of equal quantity.
Method of preparation of Dhanwantharam Kashayam
- Take all the herbs in equal quantity in a container
- Add some water in this container and begin to boil the mixture
- Keep boiling it until the water is reduced to ¼ of the total quantity
- Filter this mixture and cool it down
- Now it’s ready for use
Precautions to be Taken While taking Dhanwantaram Kashayam
- Over dosage of this decoction can cause disturbance in the gastric functions
- It can be used safely during pregnancy as well, as herbs used in this formulation and their ratio do not pose any danger to pregnancy. However, never take it without consulting an Ayurvedic physician.
- It can also be used during the lactation period. No reported case of any side effects, yet.
- This Ayurvedic formulation should be taken only under the supervision of the Ayurvedic physician.
There are no specific diet rules while taking this formulation but things which aggravate Vata should be avoided like aerated drinks, frozen food, packed or canned food, spicy food, and junk food.
Hence, Dhanwantharam Kashayam is safe to be taken by anyone but it should be only used under the strict supervision of the physician. Vata dominating symptoms are the main indication of its usage.