About Diabetic Neuropathy
Diabetic neuropathy consists of two words diabetes + neuropathy. Neuropathy means dysfunction of the one or more peripheral nerves. Diabetic neuropathy means the neuropathy caused due to the high sugar level in the body. It mainly affects the nerves of foot and legs. It is one of the major complication of the diabetes.
Types of Diabetic Neuropathy
The different types of diabetic neuropathy are:
1. PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY: It is the most common type of diabetic neuropathy. It affects the legs and foot first, and then it slowly affects the arms and hands.
Sign and symptoms of peripheral neuropathy are as follows:
- Numbness and tingling sensation.
- Burning sensation.
- Severe pain and cramps.
- Loss of balance and coordination.
- Muscle weakness.
- Foot problems like ulcers, sores and severe deformities.
2. AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHY: Autonomic neuropathy occurs when there is a damage to the nerves that manages the day to day functions such as blood pressure, heart rate, sweating, bowel and bladder functions and digestion.
Sign and symptoms of autonomic neuropathy are as follows:
- Urinary tract infection and incontinence.
- Sudden drop in blood pressure causes dizziness and fainting.
- Sexual difficulties may also occur like in men erectile dysfunction or ejaculation problems and in female's vaginal dryness, low libido and difficulty in reaching orgasm.
- Loss of appetite, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, bloating all due to change in digestive functions.
- It affects the ability to regulate the body temperature.
- Difficulty in pupil accommodation.
3. RADICULOPLEXUS NEUROPATHY: It affects mainly the nerves in the thighs, buttocks and hips. It's commonly seen in patient with type 2 diabetes.
Sign and Symptoms of the Radiculoplexus neuropathy are as follows:
- Sudden, severe pain in the buttocks and thighs.
- Difficulty rising from the sitting position.
- Weak muscles.
- Pain in abdomen if it got affected.
4. MONONEUROPATHY: Mononeuropathy it is called focal neuropathy. It affects the specific nerve. The nerve may be in face, torso or legs.
Signs and Symptoms depend on which nerve is affected. Few signs and symptoms are as follows:
- Bell's palsy (Paralysis of the one side of face).
- Pain in thigh.
- Pain in the foot.
- Pain in the lower back.
Mononeuropathy causes severe pain, but it does not cause long term problem. It mainly affects the older adults.
Causes of Diabetic Neuropathy
The causes of the diabetic neuropathy are as follows:
- High blood sugar level causes damage to the nerves and weakens their ability to transmit signals ,along with that it also weakens the walls of the capillaries which supply them oxygen and nutrients.
- Inflammation of the nerves.
- Genetic factors: Some genes are prone to nerve damage.
- Excessive use of alcohol and smoking: It narrows and hardens the arteries and blood vessels, reducing the blood flow to the legs and foot. It makes difficult to wound heal and damage the integrity of the blood vessels.
Risk Factors for Diabetic Neuropathy
- Bad control of sugar level.
- Kidney disease.
- Chronic diabetes.
Complications of Diabetic Neuropathy
- Amputation of the limb: Due to nerve damage, one may loss the sensation of feeling in the leg. Sores and ulcers remain unnoticed due to diabetes blood flow decreases to the legs, hence chances of infection increases. The infection may lead to the bones, and at last there is a formation of the gangrene. It is impossible to treat and require amputation of the limb.
- Urinary Problems: Urinary problems like Urinary tract infection and incontinence may occur due to the damage of the nerves which controls the urinary bladder functions. Proper functioning of the urinary bladder does not take place, hence chances of infection increases.
- Digestive Problems: Nerve damage of the digestive system may leads to problems like diarrhea, constipation, bloating and loss of appetite.
- Sexual Dysfunction: Due to the damage to the nerve supply to the sex organs. It causes erectile dysfunction in males and dryness in the vagina, libido in females.
How to Diagnose Diabetic neuropathy?
- Medical history.
- Physical examination.
Other tests also required are as follows:
- Filament test: This test is required to test the sensitivity to touch.
- EMG (Electromyography): It measures the electrical discharges produced in the muscles.
- Quantitiative sensory test: It checks how nerves respond to the vibrations and temperature change.
Herbal Remedies for Diabetic Neuropathy
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Diabetic Neuropathy Care Pack for natural treatment of diabetic neuropathy. We provides 100 percent pure and herbal products. All of them are free from side effects and are safe to use. And they are formulated by MD Ayurveda doctors. All of the medicines from the house are made without the addition of chemicals or additives or preservatives in it.
- Shilajit Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Ashwagandha Capsules - 2 capsules, twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Chanderprabha vati - 2 tablets thrice daily with plain water after meals.
1. Shilajit Capsules
Shilajit (Black bitumen). Planet Ayurveda's Shilajit capsules contain fresh shilajit extract.
Benefits: It works best for the diabetic neuropathy ad weakness in the body due to any reason. It is rich in fulvic acid, which is a major reason for the activity of the shilajit. It is a powerful aphrodisiac and adaptogenic.
2. Ashwagandha Capsules
Ashwagandha (Withania somifera). It is the pure extract of herb.
Benefits: It is the best Adaptogenic tonic. It is very useful in the loss of sensation in feet and periphery. It acts as a nervic tonic, enhances physical as well as mental stamina. It brings the strength back to the muscles. It also improves various complications by diabetes neuropathy such as sexual dysfunction, urinary system problems. It is a natural Rejuvenator that helps in the nourishment of the tissues particularly bones and muscle. It is the best herb for balancing vata in the body. Vata governs all movement in the body, including the movement of nerve impulse throughout the nervous system.
3. Chanderprabha Vati
This herbal combination consists of various herbs like Guggul (Commiphora mukul), karpoor (Cinnamomum camphora), Vicha (Acorus calamus), Mustak (Cyprus rohtandus) etc.
Benefits: It is the best herbal combination for Erectile Dysfunction and Premature Ejaculation which is one the complication of the diabetic neuropathy. It is also used in urinary tract and genital organ problems. Chanderprabha vati is a 100% natural supplement without any preservatives or chemicals.
Where to Buy Diabetic Neuropathy Care Pack?
To buy Diabetic Neuropathy Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/diabetic-neuropathy-care-pack.html
How to Prevent Diabetic Neuropathy?
- One should have a regular checkup of blood sugar level and blood pressure.
- One should have a healthy and balanced diet.
- One should avoid alcohol and smoking.
- One should do exercise every day.