Godanti Bhasma - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Rasa Tarangini 11/241
Godanti Bhasma is an Ayurvedic medicine, prepared from Gypsum. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment of headache, Chronic Fever, leucorrhea etc. This medicine should only be taken strictly under medical supervision. It is found in white color and appears like the teeth (danta) of the cow, when a stroke is given over the plaques of Gypsum.
Chemically it is known as 'Dihydrate of Calcium sulphate'. Its Chemical formula is CaSO4. 2H2O. Plaster of Paris is a product prepared from it.
Purification of Godanti or Godanti Shodhana
Take Good quality of Godanti and tied in a cloth and make a bundle. It is swinged in a pot (dolayantra) and subjected for Swedana (sudation) in the media of fresh juice of lemon or leaf juice of Leuacas cephalotus – Dronapushpi Patra swarasa, for a period of one and a half hour.
Preparation of Godanti Bhasma
It involves following steps:
- Purification of Gypsum
- Grinding and pulverizing to make fine powder of gypsum
- Grinding and triturating of powder with aloe vera juice
- Make small and thin cakes
- Heating and calcining of thin cakes at high temperature around 200-500° C.
Ingredient of Godanti Bhasma
Shuddha Godanti - Purified Gypsum - 100 g.
Method of Preparation
Purified Gypsum is triturated with aloe vera juice or lemon juice, thin cakes are prepared and heated in a closed container under 200 – 500° C to obtain Godanti Bhasma.
Incineration - Godanti Marana
Purified plaques of Godanti are pounded and placed in between the earthen discs (plates). After proper sealing, it is subjected to heat, by using cow dung cakes. It can be kept over the gas stove as it needs moderate heat (150– 250 C) for 1- 2 hour. When it is cooled, white colour powder is collected. This triturated well and stored. If the bhasma has not attained the fineness, once again it is subjected to heat.
General Dose: 125 to 375 mg
Dose based on age:-
- 1 – 5 years - 100 - 250 mg, in divided doses per day.
- 5- 16 years - 250 - 500 mg, in divided doses per day.
- Adults – 250mg - 1 gram in divided doses per day.
It can be consumed along with ghee, honey milk or with sugar.
Godanti bhasma plays crucial role in Ayurvedic practice and it is useful in various health complications which are given below:
- It is very effective in chronic fever, typhoid fever.
- It reduces headache and it is beneficial in migraine and trigeminal neuralgia.
- It is useful in leucorrhea and it reduces white discharge and inflammation of women reproductive organs.
- It is useful in Menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) during menstruation.
- It act as calcium supplement and helps in calcium deficiency disorders like osteoporosis, backache, and rickets.
- It is used to treat gastric problems like gastric ulcers, diarrhea, dysentery and hyperacidity.
- It is also useful in burning sensation.
There are no side effects of Godanti bhasma for short term uses. Its long term use may cause liver dysfunction.
Godanti Bhasma is contraindicated in liver disorders and hypercalcemia.