Description of plant
Grapes are type of fruits berries of deciduous woody vines that grows in cluster of 15 to 300. With proper care and management vines can live for many years and can reach length in excess 30mt. Leaves are green, long and 5-7 lobed alternately arranged on woody stem. Flowers and fruits of this plant grow in cluster. Fruit berry is 6mm in diameter, more or less globular, seeds lie inside juicy pulp and ripens to dark purple or green in color.
Angoor is the common Hindi name for grapes of all varieties. It is one of the most delicious fruits of all times. The dried form of this fruit is called as Munakka which has a different taste and enhanced medicinal benefits. There are commonly two varieties of grapes that we all are familiar with namely, green and black. With a slight difference on flavor, both of these varieties are very delicious and used in flavoring many desserts and sweet gourmet stuff.
Grapes are non-climacteric type of fruit which can be eaten raw and they can be used various preparations like wine, jam, jelly, grape seed extract, grapes raisins and vinegar. It contains calcium, phosphorous and are rich source of vitamin-A. All grapes contains glucose and fructose that depends upon quality of variety. Black rot, aphids, Japanese beetles and powdery mildews are various pest that are responsible to damage its cultivation.
Special note about Vitis vinefera
Grapes are sweet and heavy in nature and is great for balancing the vata and pitta in the body. It has purgative properties and is a natural reliever of fatigue and tiredness. A glass of grapes juice or some fresh globules of this mouth-watering fruit are enough to lift up your spirit and mood. It is also good for the throat and may help improve voice quality.
Vitis vinifera is native to Asia and also grown in central Europe, Mediterranean regions, Southwestern Asia with 60 different species. It is cultivated on every continent except Antarctica. North America is cultivating this fruit for commercial purposes.
- Kingdom – Plantae
- Order – Vitales
- Family – Vitaceae
- Hindi name – Angoor, Dakh, Munakka
- Latin name – Vitis vinifera
- English name – Grapes
- Sanskrit name – Mridvika, Swaduphala, Madhurasa, Gostani, Madhuyoni, Guda, Vrashya, Krishna, Priyala, Tapasapriya, Charuphala, Harahura, Kashmeerika, Karamardika etc.
- Telugu name – Draksa
- Kannada name – Drakshi, Ona Drakshi.
- Marathi name – Drakse.
- Malyalam name – Muntiri, Muntrippalam
- Spanish Name – Uvas
- Gujarati Name – Darakhi.
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Guna||Guru, Snigdha||Physical Property||Heavy, Unctuous|
|Vipaka||Madhur||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)||Sweet|
Effects on dosha
It balances vata and pitta dosha.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita||Vagbhata||Bhavprakash|
||Parushkadi gana||Parushkadi gana||Amardaiphal varga|
Ancient verse about Vitis vinifera
Draksha, swadufal, madhurasa, mirdvika, harhura and gaustani are various synonyms of Vitis vinifera. Fruits are sweet and astringent in taste, sweet in taste after digestion, cool and purgative in nature. They are good appetizer, good for eyes, improve nutrition, aphrodisiac and used to cure bloating. This fruit is best used in various disorders such as thirst, fever, asthma, bleeding disorders, jaundice and painful micturition, burning sensation, delusion and alcoholism. It is heavy, aphrodisiac and used to pacify pitta and vata dosha.
Practical Uses of Vitis vinifera
- Grapes are highly nutritious for the body as explained in various Ayurveda texts also according to which it has "Santarpana" and "Shramahara" properties.
- It is a fruit that is naturally healthy for the body in most cases but unripe and over ripe fruits should better be avoided.
- Dried grapes can be soaked in water overnight and can be eaten the next morning on an empty stomach. They are a great stress buster and help to reenergize the body.
- These dry grapes are also good for young children and students as they are very good rejuvenating plants.
- Grapes are very good for the eyes as well. The flavanoids, tannins and phenols such as Resveratrol present in grapes is a very potent anti – oxidant.
- Wines are universally produced from Grapes and contain rich quantities of this phenol Resveratrol which gives wine its amazing health benefits.
- Grapes are one of the richest natural sources of anti – oxidants. They help in case of anemia and keep the blood pure and healthy.
- They are also good for the Liver and boost the immune system as a whole to produce amazing results.
- For people suffering from ill effects of alcoholism, dry grapes can be very effective as they help in overcoming hangover making the patient feel better overall.
- Grapes are also good for gastritis. They can amazingly control stomach acidic secretions and improve appetite as well as digestion. Dried grapes or raisins should be the preferred choice in this case.
- Ripe grapes are good for the heart and are very cooling and soothing for the body controlling pitta body energy and pacifying its ill effects.
- According to Ayurveda, the dried variety of grapes has better properties than the fresh grapes. No wonder raisins are healthier for the body. Grapes are amazingly rich sources of vitamin E as well. You can find a lot of creams and cosmetics nowadays with grape extracts which claim at enhancing the skin vitality merely because of the vitamin E content. It is best however to explore the natural sources.
- Grapes are available in many varieties such as Fresh grapes, raisins, munakka (another form of dry raisins), all having great flavour and similar properties.
Fruits - As per the taste.
Ayurvedic Product from Vitis vinifera by Planet Ayurveda
Immune Booster is an amazing herbal remedy at Planet Ayurveda which builds the whole immune system quickly as its name clarifies. It is very useful in almost all health ailments. Immune Booster is prescribed in children who get recurrent sinus, throat infections with cough and cold. It works fantastically in diseases like asthma, chronic cough, diabetes, inflamed liver, cancer, aging, infections etc. It works really well in females with frequent urinary tract infections.Share with your friends: