Description of Plant
Parasika Yavani (Hyoscyamus Niger) is an erect viscidly hairy, annual herb having nauseous odor growing 30-150 cm high. There are two forms of the plant, an annual and a biennial. The annual grows during the summer to a height of 30 to 60 cm (1 to 2 feet) and then flowers and sets seed. The biennial produces only a tuft of basal leaves during the first season, which get disappear in winter and leaves underground a thick fleshy root Flowering and Fruiting occurs April-September. Stem grows up to few meters high.
Leaves are alternately arranged with irregular lobes smaller, sessile, and ovate.
Flowers are funnel-shaped and bisexual, having dark yellowish green with dark purple (reticulation) in the center. The fruit is a capsulated with numerous black seeds.
Seeds are oval, kidney-shaped dark grey in color and about 1.5 mm diameter and it tastes bitter, mucilaginous and pungent.
The following spring, the plant produces a branched flowering stem, which is usually much taller and more vigorous than the flowering stems of the annual plants.
Parasika Yavani (Hyoscyamus Niger) is a kind of weed, a plant that grows twice in year. It is herb that is hot in potency and digestive in nature. It is source of Antihistaminic, antimicrobial, antispasmodic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, Anti-allergic, Anodyne, Astringent Anthelmintic, Anti-phlegmatic for Productive Cough, Anti-spasmodic, Digestive, Hypnotic, Mydriatic, Sedative and Stimulant.
Parasika Yavani (Hyoscyamus Niger) cannot grow in shadow. It needs adequate sunlight for its proper growth.
The main chemical components are: Hyoscyamine, Atropine, Scopolamine and other compounds present in this herb are flavonoids, tannins, amines, albumin, calcium and potassium nitrate.
- Domain: Eukarya
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Order: Solanales
- Family: Solanaceae
- Genus: Hyoscyamus
- Species: Niger
Parasika yavani is Native to Mediterranean region and Temperate Asia, it has spread in Europe, North Africa, W. Africa and N. Asia. Main source of Habitat is Baluchistan and Afghanistan. In Indian region it is found cultivated in West Himalayan regions from Kashmir to Khumau randomly in villages and roadsides at an altitudes of 1600-3500 m, else in Lahul and Kinnaur regions of Himachal Pradesh and also cultivated in Punjab, UP, Ajmer, Mumbai and Nilgiri.
The suitable soil for the sowing seeds of this plant has normally clay kind of properties with water absorbing capacity in it.
- Sanskrit Name - Parasika Yavni, Parseekyavaani, Madkarini, Khurashanika, Khurasani ajwain
- English Name - Henbane, Black Henbane, Common Henbane, Devil's eye, Fetid nightshade, Jupiter's Bean
- Hindi Name - Khurasani Ajawayan
- Punjabi Name - Khurasanee ajvain, Bangidewana
- Bengali Name - Khorasani Ajoban
- Tamil Name - Kurasani Yomam
- Marathi Name - Khurasanee Ova
- Gujarati Name - Khurasani Ajma
- Urdu Name - Ajvayanee Khursanee
- Kannada Name – Khurasani Oma
- Malayalam Name – Khurasani Ova
- Telugu Name – Khurasani Yamani
- Arabian Name – Altercum, Bajulbajj
- Farsi Name – Turumavanga
- German Name - Schwarzes Bilsenkraut
- French Name - jusquiame
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Rasa||Tikta, Katu||Taste||Bitter, Pungent
|Guna||Guru, Rooksha||Physical Property||Heavy, Dry|
|Vipaka||Katu||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)||Pungent|
Effects on Doshas
It balances Kapha and Vata Dosha, because of its hot potency. It increases Pitta.
Ancient Verse about Hyoscyamus niger
The Bhavprakash nighantu edition of 1998, verse - 80, page no. - 29-30.
It is also known by the name Khurasani Ajawayan. It's all qualities are like ajwain but it has a specialty that it is digestive, treats Anorexia, Sedative and is heavy to digest.
The Bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary by Padmashri prof. K.C. Chunekar, edited by Dr. G.S. Pandey: edition of 1998: verse - 80, page no. – 29-30.
Practical Uses of Hyoscyamus niger
Hyoscyamus niger is herb has so may therapeutic properties aphrodisiac, hypnotic, anticholinergic, anodyne, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anthelmintic, anti-rheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, carminative etc. and all these properties have made it useful in so many conditions of the body.
- This herb is effective pain reliever.
- It is useful to destroy parasitic worms.
- A supportive remedy that gives relief in rheumatism.
- It is suitable herb in nervous Disorders like Parkinson's disease and Neuralgia.
- Useful herb in Toothaches and its gargles prevents bleeding from the gums.
- It has ability to reduce the Kidney Stones by breaking it and stops urine retention.
- Beneficial Herb in case of Ear Problems like it can reduce ear Pain.
- It is useful in dilation of pupil during an Eye Operation.
- It has the property of being a preventive agent against the growth of disease-causing microbes.
- Useful Remedy for Liver Pain.
- Also a helpful remedy for Insomnia, due to its property of producing hypnosis / inducing sleep.
- It provides calming and soothing effects as it is a good Sedative/intoxicant:
- It helps to stop or relieves spasms/cramps.
- It is a natural agent that can block the action of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain thereby it is useful in treating diseases like asthma, incontinence, gastrointestinal cramps, and muscular spasms.
- It can provide relief from gas in the alimentary tract (colic or flatulence or griping).
- Leaves are commonly used.
- Flower is also used.
Powder: 250-1000 mg
Ayurvedic Product from Hyoscyamus niger by planet Ayurveda
Parasika Yavani (Hyoscyamus Niger) is one of herb used in Tri Bull Oil.
- This herbal product helps to improve stamina and even erectile strength
- It is has amazing action in erectile dysfunction due to diabetes and heart diseases.
- Also helps in premature ejaculation.
- It must be used under medical supervision.
- This herb has to be avoided during pregnancy and lactation.
- Other precaution is to avoid in tachycardia (increased heart rate), heart failure, Down syndrome, fever, urinary retention, narrow angle glaucoma.
- Over Dose of this herb can lead to dizziness, dryness of throat, toxic and psychiatric symptoms, Erythema (Reddening of the Skin).