Description of Plant
Lodhra is an evergreen medium size tree with height of 6-8.5m.
- Leaves: 3 to 4 inches long, circular or oval shaped, leaf stalk is small and it is velvety to touch.
- Flower: Flowering generally occurs in the month of November and continues till the month of February. Flowers are cream colored, small in size and are mostly found in clusters.
- Fruit: Purple blackish in color and are about 1.5 inches long, leathery.
- Seed: Its fruits contain about 1 to 3 seeds.
- Bark: It is light brown in color
Lodhra basically means the one which helps in making the body firm.
Lodhra is even mentioned to as divya aushadhi (Divine herb). Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) is among the best Ayurveda herbs to alleviate all the health issues of females. It is recommended for gynecological problems especially in frequent abortions.
Lodhra nourishes the skin and benefits in acne, wrinkles and other health issues related with skin; because of this Lodhra is an important ingredient of Ayurveda skin care packs. Lodhra also possesses anti diabetic and liver protecting characteristics.
Lodhra is useful in pacifying Kapha - Pitta and diseases arising from these.
Bark of Lodhra Tree has been traditionally used as a uterine tonic. Its great valuable use in maintaining optimum health in women has been found. Additionally, the tree and its formulations have been effective in controlling bleeding and digestive disorders.
- Loturine - 0.25 %
- Colloturine - 0.02 %
- Loturidine - 0.06 % along with them it contains glycosides
- Kingdom - Plantae
- Division - Spermatophyta
- Sub-division - Angiospermae
- Class - Dicotyledonae
- Sub-class - Metachlamydae
- Order - Ebenales
- Family - Symplocaceae
- Genus - Symplocos
- Spices - Racemosa
- Hindi Bengali name - Lodhra, Lodha, Lodh
- English Name - Symplocos tree or Lodh tree, Symplocos bark
- Telugu Name - Lodhuga
- Tamil Name - Belli lotai, Vellileti, Vellilathi, Vellilothram
- Guajarati Name - Lodhara, Lodhar
- Malayam Name - Pachotti
- Kannada Name - Pachettu
- Oriya Name - Lodho
- Assamese Name - Mugam
- Bengali Name - Lodha, Lodhra
- Kannada Name - Lodhra
- Marathi Name - Lodha, Lodhra
- Punjabi Name - Lodhar
- Urdu name - Lodh, lodhpattani
It is usually found in north-east India, Assam and Pegu regions of India. It is also found in Nagpur, Manipur, and Burma.
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Rasa||Kashaya, Tikta||Taste||Astringent, Bitter|
|Guna||Laghu, Ruksha||Physical Property||Light, Dry|
|Vipaka||Katu||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)||Pungent|
Effects on Doshas
It balances pitta and Kapha doshas.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita|
Ancient Verse about Lodhra
The Bhavprakash nighantu verse 215-216, page no.128-130
Name and Properties of ShabarLodhra and Patialodhare-Lodhra, Tilav, Tarit, Shavr, Galb, are names of Shavrlodh.
Names of Patialodh are Patikalodhra, Kramuk, Sathulvalkal, Jiranrpatr, Bahutpatra, Patti, and Lakshaprasadan. It is light, cold in potency. Good for eyes. Pacifies Kapha and Pitta. Astringent in taste. Manages Epistaxis, inflammation and Bleeding Disorders.
The Bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary by Padmashri prof. K.C. Chunekar, edited by Dr. G.S. Pandey: edition of 1998: verse 215-216, page no-128-130
Practical Uses of Symplocos Racemosa
According to Ayurvedic texts the main indication of lodhra is to maintain the pitta (Agni) and the kapha (phelgum) in the body. Lodhra contains khashayras (Astringent) due to this it's formulations made from the bark are generally used to soothe the pitta and its ill effects in our body.
- Lodhra is especially used to improve the women's health.
- In diseases like Menorraghia (excessive bleeding during menstrual cycle), it is highly effective as it relaxes the uterine tissues and acts on the relaxed mucus membranes.
- Lodhra has proved to be very useful in disease like leucorrhoea (white discharge).
- Lodhra is even prescribed to the women after their delivery.
- Lodhra helps to detoxify the blood.
- Lodhra is indicated in eye disease, powder formation of its bark along with ghee is used in eyes.
- Lodhra helps in maintain the shape of the body.
- It is clearly referred in Ayurvedic texts that Lodhra helps in making the body attractive and skin glow.
- Due to its Grahi (absorption enhancing) property it is used in clotting and in diseases like diarrhoea.
- Lodhra is Grahi (absorption enhancing) Sheeta (cooling) and Laghu (light) which itself is a unique combination, which makes it very useful in reducing inflammation and heaviness in the body.
- Lodhra is used in epistaxis (raktpitta), the people who have high pitta generally experience nose bleeding, and the Grahi (absorbing) quality of lodhra helps in thickening of blood to stop haemorrhage (bleeding).
- Lodhra lepa (paste) form is used to treat the skin diseases like leprosy.
- Combination of sugar, ghee and a paste of lodhra leaves are used to treat cough.
- Powdered formation of the bark of lodhra is used to heal wounds. Lodhra actually lowers the PH of the body; due to which inflammation process is slow which gradually leads to increased wound healing process.
Bark of this tree has medicinal uses.
- 3-6 gm. Powder
- 50-100 ml of decoction
Ayurvedic Products from Symplocus Racemosa by Planet Ayurveda
Pradrantak Churna has various different properties; like it is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-tumor and anti-bacterial. It checks excessive menstrual bleeding and is also useful in ovarian cysts.
Female Health Support are solution to all problems of the female body system as it enhances the libido in females, wonderful effects on menopausal women and is useful for managing leucorrhea.
Where to buy these Ayurvedic Products?
To buy these Ayurvedic Products, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products.html