Mahashankh Vati - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference - Bhaishajya Ratnavali Agnimandya Roga Adhikara 186 – 187.
Mahashankh Vati is an Ayurvedic formulation that consists of a mixture of herbs and minerals. This is known to consist of many ingredients. The herbs present in this formulation is known for their properties like digestive, antipyretic, analgesic, appetizer and anti-rheumatic etc.
Sufficient Ingredients to make water decoction:-
- Nimbu – Lemon juice (Citrus Limon) - Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, helpful in Gastric, act as an antacid, helps in balancing and managing the pH level. It is also beneficial for other problems like relief from scurvy, sore throat, constipation, kidney stones, canker sores, and gum disorders. This herb also helps to lower the blood pressure, decrease stress, maintains healthy skin and promote a healthy liver.
- Saikharika - Achyranthes aspera - It is a group of herbs which is used in expelling Doshas from neck and head. It has the property of microbial, anti-parasitic action.
- Chitraka - Plumbago zeylanica - It is an Ayurvedic herb used as a digestive and carminative herb. Helpful in digestion, increase appetite, gives relief from abdominal colic pain, also useful in treating piles.
- Amla - Phyllanthus emblica - One of the best rasayan which is helpful as a rejuvenating agent, anti-aging medicine and immunity modulator.
- Sauvarchala Lavana – Sochal salt
- Vida Lavana – Black salt
- Saindhava Lavana – Rock salt
- Samudra Lavana – Common salt
- Romaka Lavana – Earthen salt
- Pippali – Piper longum
- Hingu – Ferula asafoetida
- Shunti – Zingiber officinalis
- Chincha – Tamarindus indica
- Maricha – Piper nigrum
- Shuddha Vatsanabha – Purified Aconitum ferox
- Shankha Bhasma – Ash of Conch Shell
- Vali – Purified and processed Sulphur
- Rasa – Herbal purified Mercury
Method of Preparation
- Take all the ingredient up to 10 grams
- Powder all the ingredients and mix well.
- Now mix these into the decoction to make its paste and after making the paste, make its pills of 150 mg.
Mahashankh Vati is an effective Ayurvedic preparation that is able to keep the balance of Vata and Pitta dosha, it possesses carminative, stomachic, and digestive properties etc. The properties that provide a healing effect in various body ailments.
It is very useful in digestive troubles. It is good for improving digestive power in case of indigestion. Helpful in reducing intestinal pain. It lessens the formation of gas, which might be due to irregular food habits like heavy food or overeating. Gives relief in gastritis, reduces the inflammation and pain. Mahashankh vati has the property to reduce the acidity and is even beneficial in malabsorption syndrome, where it enhances the absorption of nutrients and promotes the strength to the body. Suitable to be used in, piles/hemorrhoids, bleeding problem, and pain etc. It is one of the helpful remedy for dyspepsia, indigestion, abdominal pain, eliminates bloating and abdominal gas. Even useful to enhance the appetite. Improves the liver functions.
- Abdominal pain
- Bloating of gas
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Ulcerative Colitis
Two tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Problem of low BP and low heart beat can arise due to its over-dose.
- Avoid in pregnancy and lactation.
- Take under medical supervision.