Sometimes people ignore dandruff but it is a condition to worry. Dandruff is a scalp disorder that creates the shedding of dead skin cells. It affects half of the population. This disorder often cause itching in the scalp. It is a fungal infection caused by malassezia yeast.
Home Remedies are:
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is considered as one of the best herb for the hair problems. It contains pectin and polysaccharides that make a healthy scalp. This herb soothes, moisturizes the dry scalp and removes dead skin cells. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties in it. The anti-inflammatory compound known as glycoproteins reduces inflammation in the scalp and soothes itching sensation. Its anti-fungal property removes dandruff that causes fungus and yeast infection on the scalp. The antiseptic property kills the bacteria and enzymes present in the scalp.
How to use Aloe Vera for dandruff?
There are numerous ways to use aloe vera either alone or in combination. Here are some ways mentioned below.
- Aloe Vera gel: Collect gel extract from the aloe vera leaf. Massage this gel on the scalp and hair. Wrap a warm, damp towel on your head for twenty minutes. After that wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Do this procedure three times a week.
- Fenugreek seeds paste and Aloe vera gel: Make a paste of one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds soaked overnight. Add two tablespoons of aloe vera gel to the pasted seeds. Mix it well and apply this paste over the scalp. Leave it for thirty minutes, after that wash your hair with mild shampoo. Apply this mask twice a week.
- Curd, olive oil and aloe vera pack: Make a hair mask by adding one cup of curd, one teaspoon of olive oil and two to four teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel. Mix all these ingredients. Apply this paste on the scalp and hair. Leave this paste for about 30-40 mins and wash it off with water and a mild shampoo.
- Neem oil with Aloe vera: Neem and aloe vera when blended together removes dandruff, kills fungal growth and strengthens hair from the root and promotes healthy hair growth. Mix two to three teaspoons of aloe vera gel with ten to twelve drops of neem oil. Massage your scalp with this preparation and leave it overnight. In the morning rinse your hair with mild shampoo. Repeat this twice in a week.
The presence of fatty acids and vitamin A in egg yolk prevents flaky scalp, dandruff and hair loss. Amino acids in eggs strengthen the roots of the hair.
How to use eggs for dandruff?
Prepare a mask by taking two eggs white and one small lemon juice. Mix them well and apply onto your scalp. Leave this mask for five minutes. After that wash your hair with mild shampoo.
3. Coconut oil
Coconut oil has anti-fungal, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that cure dandruff. The presence of vitamin E (tocopherol) and other medium-chain fatty acids moisturizes the dead skin of the scalp and cures dandruff.
How to use coconut oil for dandruff?
It can be used either alone or in combination:
- Pure coconut oil: Massage your scalp with pure coconut oil for 3-5 mins. Leave this oil for 15mins. After that rinse the mixture out with warm water. Repeat this procedure once each week until the symptoms of dandruff disappears.
- Camphor and coconut oil: Take one teaspoon of camphor and a half cup of pure coconut oil. Store this mixture in an airtight container. Massage your entire scalp for a few minutes. Allow this mixture to soak fully into the scalp for 30-40mins. Repeat this process every day for 1-2 weeks.
- Fenugreek seeds and coconut oil hair pack: Use one tablespoon of crushed fenugreek seeds and four tablespoons of pure coconut oil. Mix this fenugreek powder into warm coconut oil, then allow it to cool. Massage your scalp with this mixture. Keep this pack for two to three hours. After that wash your hair with mild shampoo. Repeat this process two to three times per week.
4. Olive oil
The presence of water soluble substance known as (polyphenols) in olive oil clean the scalp. Its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties fight dandruff.
How to use olive oil for dandruff?
- Honey with olive oil: Warm half cup of olive oil and add two teaspoons of honey. Gently massage your scalp with this mixture. Leave it on for 10mins. After that rinse off with a mild herbal shampoo.
- Apple cider vinegar with olive oil: Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Massage your scalp with this mixture. Leave it for 20-30mins on scalp. After that wash your hair as normal.
- Aloe vera, curd with olive oil: Make a hair pack by adding three teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel, half cup curd and three teaspoons of olive oil. Massage your scalp with this mixture. Leave on for 25-30 mins. After that wash with mild shampoo. Repeat this three times a week. This mixture is very beneficial for dandruff because of pectin in aloe vera. The pectin stimulate the breakdown of dead skin cells and generate new ones. Curd helps in reducing itching and inflammation conditions.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon has anti-oxidant, anti-fungal properties, citric acid and vitamin C that fight dandruff. Its acidic nature balance the pH level of scalp and sheds away dead skin cells. Due to its healing property reduces itching and soothes irritation.
How to use lemon for dandruff?
- Lemon juice and fenugreek seeds powder: Prepare a paste by mixing one tablespoon of fenugreek powder to one tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply this paste on scalp and leave it for 20mins. After that wash off with plain water.
- Lemon juice with coconut oil: Take two tablespoons of lemon juice and mix it to slightly warmed coconut oil. Massage your hair with this mixture. Leave for 15mins then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this process three to four weeks. You can also add one tablespoon of castor oil to this mixture.
- Lemon juice and cider vinegar: Mix two tablespoons of lemon juice to four tablespoons of cider vinegar. Apply on scalp with a cotton ball. After 15mins rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
6. Onion Juice
Onion has antibacterial property that maintain clean scalp with no dandruff. It involves germanium by which oxygen is dispersed throughout the scalp.
How to use onion juice for dandruff?
- Onion juice and lemon juice: Mix two teaspoons of onion juice and lemon juice. Use this mixture on scalp. This combination is useful in itchy scalp and dandruff condition.
- Coconut oil and onion juice: Take three teaspoons of onion juice with some coconut oil. Massage your hair with this mixture. Allow it on about 30mins and wash your hair with herbal shampoo.
- Beetroot paste and onion juice: Make a paste of beetroot after boiling it. Add onion juice to it. Use this paste on your scalp and left it for 30mins. After that wash your hair.
- Aloe vera gel and onion juice: Make a hair pack by mixing aloe vera paste and onion juice. Apply this combination on hair. This mixture will assist to alleviate an itchy scalp.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
It is rich in probiotic that kill the fungus, causing dandruff and other scalp infections. The enzymes present in apple cider vinegar open the clogged pores to make the scalp healthy and get rid of dandruff.
How to use Apple cider vinegar for dandruff?
- Fenugreek seeds and apple cider vinegar: Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and make paste of it. Add few drops of apple cider vinegar and mix well. Apply this paste on scalp and leave it for an hour. Rinse off with herbal shampoo.
- Yogurt and apple cider vinegar: Yogurt contains vitamin B5 and proteins that is very beneficial for scalp. Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to half cup of yogurt. Apply this mixture to the scalp for 30mins, after that wash hair with shampoo.
- Apple cider vinegar and Peppermint leaves: Peppermint leaves have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce itchiness of the scalp. Take one cup of water in a saucepan and boil it for few minutes. Off the flame. Add peppermint leaves and apple cider vinegar to it. Leave this mixture for at least two hours to steep properly. Strain it and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray this mixture on your hair, gently massage for 10mins. Rinse your hair with warm water.