Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Gulma Rog Adhikara 63-69
Vajra Kshara is an alkaline ayurvedic medicine, in powdered form. This medicine is gastric stimulant, antacid, and laxative. It is used in treatment of digestive system diseases like abdominal pain, bloating and gastric problems. It balances the vata and kapha doshas in the body.
1 part of each of:-
- Samudra Lavana – Table salt
- Saindhava – Rock Salt
- Kacha Lavana
- Yavakshara – Kshara of Barley – Hordeum vulgare
- Sauvarchala Lavana – Sochal salt
- Tankana – Borax
- Sarjika Kshara
- Arka ksheera- Latex of Calotropis procera
- Snuhiksheera – Latex of Euphorbia neriifolia.
- Arkapatra – Calotropis procera
- Shunti – Ginger (rhizome) – Zingiber officinalis
- Maricha – Black pepper – Piper nigrum
- Pippali – Long pepper – Piper longum
- Haritaki – Chebulic Myrobalan (fruit rind) – Terminalia chebula
- Vibhitaki – Belliric Myrobalan – Terminalia bellirica
- Amalaki -Indian Gooseberry - Emblica officinalis / Phyllanthus emblica
- Yavani – Hyoscyamus niger
- Shweta Jeeraka – Cumin seed – Cuminum cyminum
- Chitrak – Plumbago zeylanica
Method of Preparation
Ingredients are taken in fine powder from Samudra Lavana to Swarjika kshara. They are grinded under sunlight with Latex of Arka – Calotropis procera and Snuhi – Euphorbia neriifolia and Cakes are prepared. The cakes are wrapped with leaves of Arka – Calotropis procera. Kept sealed in mud bowls, and heated to red hot. It is taken out of fire and rest of the ingredients are added and mixed well to make Vajra kshara.
Take 250 mg to 1 gram in divided dose, per day, along with Trikatu churna and rock salt, after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
In Vata imbalance, associated with bloating and pain, it is given along with warm water.
In Pitta imbalance, associated with burning sensation it is given along with ghee.
In Kapha imbalance, associated with indigestion and heaviness it is given along with cow urine.
- Abdominal distension
- For abdominal colic pain
- Low appetite
- Difficulty in urination
- Liver and spleen enlargement
- Self-medication with medicine should be avoided.
- This medicine should be taken strictly under medical supervision only.
- It is best to avoid this medicine in pregnant ladies and infants.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.
- People undergoing medical treatment for low sperm count must take the precaution.
- This medicine contains salts hence people with high BP should take special care.