Herbal Remedies for Goiter
Goiter refers to a characterized swelling in thyroid gland present in neck. The size many vary from a small nodule to a large lump in neck. If the size of Goiter increases it can cause swelling in neck or Larynx, Cough, breathing problems. Females are more prone to goiter than males.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF GOITER
- Protruding eyes
- Swelling in the front of the neck
- Swelling in thyroid gland
- Feeling of fatigue
- Feel Sleepy most of the time
- Raised cholesterol level
- Changes in menstrual flow in females suffering from goiter
CAUSES OF GOITER
The main cause of goiter is Iodine deficiency as well as under production of thyroid hormone.
Some other cause include:-
- Hashimoto thyroiditis
- Graves disease
- Sporadic multinodular goitre
- Follicular adenoma
- Colloid nodule or cyst
- Thyroid cancer
DIAGNOSTIC METHODS IN GOITER
- Serum thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Free T4 and T3 level
- Antibodies test against thyroperoxidase (anti-TPO) , thyroglobulin (anti-TG)
- Thyroid receptor antibody (TRAb) to confirm Graves disease
- Thyroid ultrasound in known or suspected thyroid nodules cases
AYURVEDIC VIEW ABOUT THYROID GLAND
Thyroid gland swelling is known as Galaganda in Ayurveda. It is mentioned in Atharva veda, Charaka samhita and Sushruta samhita. Sushruta has mentioned its origin in the sixth and deepest layer of skin. In ayurvedic principle of treatment 'Samprapti Vighatana' is one, which is reversal of pathogenesis. Whatever may be the aetiology, it deactivates the thyroid gland and ultimately slow down metabolism of the body. So the ayurvedic herbal treatment emphasizes on the stimulation of thyroid gland.
Ayurvedic treatments are based on the principle of strengthening the digestion using herbs that can help to improve the metabolism of the body and promotes thyroid health. Proper circulatory system and a balanced pH of the body in another goal of ayurvedic treatment for goiter.
According to Ayurveda a proper diet of a person helps a lot in eliminating other causative factors or allergens responsible for thyroid problems. Ingestion of excess of certain raw foods having goitogens can result in goiter. Goitogens are the food constituents which can block iodine consumption in the body. Therefore one must avoid cabbage, soybeans, turnip, peanuts, cassava root and pine nuts.
Herbal Remedies for Goiter
1. Kanchnaar Guggul
Kanchnara Guggulu is a specific herbal formulation for hypo/hyper thyroid. It has a balancing action on the thyroxine production; it boosts the production of thyroxine if required and prohibits the production if not needed. It also reduces the swelling in the neck. Kanchnaar Guggul is one of the best Ayurvedic preparations for Goiter. This formulation is made from herbs such as Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Amalaki (Emblica Officinale), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), and Ela (Elettaria Cardamomum).
2. Triphala Capsules
Triphala is well known in Indian culture. 'Tri' means three and 'phala' means fruits therefore the name literally suggests the meaning as three fruits, the fruits are Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Amalaki (Emblica Officinale). In English these as called as myrobalans. Triphala is regarded as the best natural colon cleanser without making a habit. It acts as a rejuvenator if taken for long period. Triphala balances vata, pitta and kapha dosha. It works in goiter by eliminating the toxins from the channels, which blocks the circulation of blood and hormones. Triphala treats inflammatory conditions, liver problems, and digestion issues very well. Triphala capsules helps in reducing body fat and promotes overall health. Triphala capsules correct the metabolism which is a key factor responsible in goiter pathogenesis.
3. Aloe Vitals
Aloes vital balances the pH of the body, helps in reducing acid reflux. It is a rejuvenator and removes toxins from the body. It is wonderful anti ageing and anti inflammatory herb. Capsule aloe vitals contain aloe- emodin, aloetic avid and iso barbalin, which are anti-inflammatory in action. It helps in coordinating vata, pitta and kapha. It boosts the metabolism and helps in flushing out the endotoxins (aama dosha) from the body. Aam dosha is responsible for slowing down the metabolism.
4. Gotu Kola CapsulesCentella asiatica is known as Gotukola, which is used as a memory booster or medhya rasayan in Ayurveda and medhya rasayan plays a significant role in correction of goiter. Gotukola improves circulation, beneficial in relieving stress, depression and anxiety. Gotukola is rich source of vitamin A, B, E and K. magnesium is also present in it. Gotukola have alkaloids, sterols, tannins, and glycosides which help in correcting metabolism. As gotukola improves circulation it is very effective in any kind of congestion either it may be of veins as in varicose veins, it may be due to slow performance of gland as in goiter.
Where to Buy these Herbal Remedies?
To buy these Herbal Remedies, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products.html
SOME USEFUL GUIDELINES
- Yogurt and cow's milk are good
- Different types of lettuce and Watercress are natural sources of iodine
- Food that contains iodine
- Kelp (Seaweed)
- Some Yoga postures are beneficial in hypothyroidism such as Camel posture, Bow posture, Upward Facing Dog posture and Cobra posture.
SOME HOME REMEDIES
- Paste of Pistia Straticies (jalakumbhi) reduces swelling if locally applied over the affected part.
- Coconut oil enhances the metabolism therefore it is useful for goiter patients (hypothyroidism) and persons with slow metabolism.