Herbs & Home Remedies for Heart Disease, Coronary Artery Disease
The term coronary heart disease covers a group of clinical syndromes arising particularly from failure of the coronary arteries to supply sufficient blood to the heart. They include angina pectoris, coronary artery disease, coronary thrombosis or heart attack, and sudden death without infarction.
Symptoms of Heart Disease
A common symptoms of heart disease is shortness of breath, which is caused by the blood being deprived of the proper amount of oxygen. Another common symptom is chest pain or pain down either arm. Other symptoms are palpitations, fainting, emotional instability, cold hands and feet, frequent sweating, and fatigue.
Causes of Heart Disease
The basic causes of heart disease are wrong feeding habits, faulty style of living and various stresses. The famous Framingham Heart Study, of the National Heart and Lung Institute in Massachusetts, identified seven major risk factors in coronary heart disease.
- Elevated blood levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, and other fatty substances
- Elevated blood pressure
- Elevated blood uric acid levels [mainly caused by high protein diet]
- Certain metabolic disorders, notably diabetes
- Lack of physical exercise
Each or a combination of these risk factors can contribute to heart disease. Most of them are of dietary origin. Constant worry and tension stimulate the adrenal glands to produce more adrenaline and cortisone. This also contributes to constricted arteries, high blood pressure and increased work for the heart.
Home Remedies for Heart Disease
- Grapes: Fresh fruits in general are beneficial in the treatment of heart disease. They tone up the heart. Grapes are especially effective in heart pain and palpitation of the heart, and the disease can rapidly controlled if the patient adopts an exclusive diet of grapes for a few days. Grapes juice is particularly valuable when one is actually suffering from a heart attack.
- Apple: Apples have heart-stimulating properties. Patients suffering from a weak heart will benefit greatly by making liberal use of this fruit and apple jam.
- Indian Gooseberry: Indian gooseberry is considered an effective home remedy for heart disease. It tones up the functions of all the organs of the body, and builds up health by destroying the heterogeneous elements and renewing lost energy. When the fruit is in season, one medium-sized Indian gooseberry can be taken with a little salt daily when not in season, dry pieces can be chewed.
- Onion: onions have been found valuable in heart disease. They are useful in normalizing the percentage of blood cholesterol by oxidizing excess cholesterol. One teaspoon of raw onion juice first thing in the morning is beneficial in such cases.
- Honey: Honey has got marvelous properties to prevent all sorts of heart disease. It tones up the heart and improves the circulation. It is also effective in cardiac pain and palpitation of the heart. One tablespoon daily after food is sufficient to prevent all sorts of heart troubles.
- Asparagus: Asparagus is an excellent food for strengthening the heart. A good medicine for a weak or an enlarged heart is prepared by mixing the freshly extracted juice of this vegetable with honey, in the ratio of 2:1. A teaspoon of this medicine should be taken three times daily. Patients with heart disease will also benefit by steam cooking this vegetable.
- Alfalfa: The herb alfalfa in the form of juice has been found very helpful in most troubles related to the arteries and heart diseases. Only the leaves of the plant are used for this purpose, when they can be obtained fresh. The juice of fresh alfalfa is, however, too strong and potent to be taken by itself. It is best taken with carrot juice in equal quantities of 125 ml each, twice daily. In this combination, the individual benefits of each juice are intensified.
- Safflower: Safflower oil has proved beneficial in lowering blood cholesterol. Hence it can be used liberally with persons suffering from cardiovascular disorders. An emulsion with the trade name Scaffolding-Copal is used routinely during myocardial infarction, cardiac isocheimal, and hypertension
- Vitamin E: Patient with heart disease should increase their intake of foods rich in vitamin E, as this vitamin is said to promote heart function by improving oxygenation of the cells. It also improves the circulation and muscle strength. Many whole meal products and green vegetables, particularly other leaves of cabbage, are good sources of vitamin E.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is also essential as it protects against attacks. It also guards against high blood cholesterol. The stress of anger, fear, disappointment, and similar emotions can raise blood fat and cholesterol levels immediately but this reaction to stress can do little hark if the diet is adequate in vitamin C and antithetic acid. One of the richest sources of vitamin C is citrus fruit.
Herbal Remedies for Heart Disease
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Heart Care Pack for Ayurvedic treatment of heart diseases. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Arjuna Capsules - 2 capsules, twice daily with plain water.
- Arjun Tea - 2 cups, twice daily.
- Total Heart Support - 2 capsules, twice daily with plain water.
1. Arjuna Capsules
Arjun tree is a panacea remedy in cardiovascular problems. Arjuna capsules are made from Terminalia arjun bark extract. The extract contains acids (arjunic acid, gallic acid, ellagic acid and terminic acid), glycosides (arjunetin, arjunine, arjunetosides I, II, III, IV) and strong antioxidants such as flavons (arjunone, arjunolone, leteilin), tannins, oligomeric and proanthocyanidins, some minerals like magnesium, calcium, zinc and copper. It also possesses anti-ischemic properties.
Very useful in treating ischemic heart diseases. It brings down high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglycerides levels. It is also used to treat diabetes as adjuvant to other diabetes supplements and deep vein thrombosis.
2. Arjun Tea
Arjun tea not only lowers blood pressure and high cholesterol levels but also strengthens heart muscles. Arjun tea contains natural flavonoids, antioxidants cardiac glycosides and it is rich in natural Co-enzyme Q 10 which make this tea very effective in treating heart ailments. Terminalia arjuna bark extract is a panacea remedy for cardiovascular and circulatory ailments.
Arjun tea effectively treats fatigue, blocked arteries, cardiovascular ailments, circulatory ailments and congestive heart failure. It improves pumping capacity of heart by providing strength to heart muscles and by strengthening the vascular system. It tones up and strengthens the arterial system. It corrects bone density. Some heart related ailments such as angina, myocardial infarction, mitral regurgitation, cardiomyopathy, heart attack, coronary artery diseases and ventricular failure can be treated effectively by drinking arjun tea. It also regulates pitta and hence controls anger, frustration, aggression and nervousness.
3. Total Heart Support
The prime ingredient is Arjun bark extract along with extract of Ashwagandha, Brahmi and Shankhpushpi. Ashwagandha, strengthen the nerves by calming it down. Brahmi and Shankhpushpi are diuretic, cardiac, nervine and general tonic. Total heart support improves heart functions and supports healthy blood pressure. These herbs balance disturbed vata and pitta in the body which are responsible for stress, blood pressure, anxiety, nervousness and heart ailments.
It is very effective in treatment of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, blocked coronary arteries, angina, myocardial infarction, breathlessness and congestive heart failure. Arjuna extract strengthens the heart muscles. The formula also detoxifies the arteries of blockages if any. Brahmi and Shankhpushi has anti-anxiety properties as it relieves stress and anxiety.
To buy Heart Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/heart-care-pack
The fundamental conditioning factor in all heart disease is the diet, which should be lacto-vegetarian, and low on sodium and calories. It should consist of high quality, natural organic foods, with emphasis on wholegrain, seeds, fresh fruits, and vegetables. Foods which should be eliminated from the diet include white flour products, sweets, chocolates, canned foods in syrup soft drinks, squashes, tea, coffee, alcohol, and tobacco, and all solid fats of animal origin such as butter, cream, and fatty meats. Salt and sugar should be reduced substantially.
Few Heart Friendly Tips
Ayurveda recommends dietary and life style changes to prevent and treat heart problems. Gourd juice is really a miracle for treating coronary artery blockage. Fiber rich diet, green leafy vegetables, fruits and vegetable like carrot, apples, and guava are recommended. Constipation must be avoided to prevent any heart problems according to Ayurvedic theories of healing. Constipation leads to vitiation of 'Vata' and that causes angina and sudden heart attacks.
Heavy fried meals containing excess sugar, breads, meat and egg preparations, pulses and their preparations, curd, groundnut oil are strictly prohibited according to Ayurvedic principles. Stimulants like smoking, tea, coffee and alcoholic drinks are very harmful for such patients.
- A 6 monthly screening of LDL-HDL balance, total cholesterol and triglycerides, levels.
- Reduce intake of common salt (Dietary Sodium).
- Get a deep sleep each night.
- Minimize chronic stress.
- Maintain a positive attitude towards life.
- Have warm relationships and go through life with positive attitude, little anger, hatred or hostility.
- Ayurveda recommends controlling your desires and wishes to get rid of stress, hypertension and coronary artery disease.
- Incorporate yoga (Practice of 'Pranayama' is most important for treating blood pressure and high cholesterol problem) meditation, naturopathy and routine exercises in your daily regimen. It is possible to reverse heart disease by doing moderate physical activity on a daily basis