Eclipta Alba (Bhringraj) - Benefits, Usages and Dosage
- Latin name - Eclipta alba
- English name - Trailing eclipta
- Indian name - Babri, Bengraya, Bhangra, Mochkand, Mochrand, Ajagara, Angaraka, Bhekaraja, Bhringa, Bhringaraja, Ekaraja, Karanjaka, Kesharaja, Keshya, Kesharanjana, Mahabhringa, Milabringa, Sunilaka, Pitripriya.
Trailing eclipta is a small, errect or prostate many branched and a coarsely haired annual herb. It grows upto 20cms in height. It has a round, feeble stem, simple ecliptic and hairy leaves, variable in shape, bright green in color with very small flowers, called florets. Its small, black seeds resemble mustard seeds. This tropical annual is a creeping and moisture- loving herb. It has a short, flat or round, brown stem and small white flowers on a long stalk. The leaves are opposite and lance shaped.
Leaves, roots, whole plant
Resin, Ecliptine, nicotine and alkaloids.
From the leaves alpha-terthienyl-methanol stigmasterol, beta-amyrin; mixture of desmethyl wedelolactone, and wedlolactone (in pure form) have been obtained. Desmethyl wedelolactone glucoside has been isolated and its constitution was established as 7-0-glucoside polypeptide, in hydrolysis gave five amino acids viz., cystin, glutamic acid, phenylalanine,tyrosine and methionine.
From the different parts of plant following components were isolated:-
Phytosterol-A, Beta-amyrin; wedeloactone, Luteolin-7-0-glucoside, glucoside of phytosterol-A and triterpenic acid, desmithyl wedelolactone, 2-fromyl-Alpha-terthienyl, fatty acids-palmitic, stearic, oleic and linoleic and nicotine. Roots yielded hentriacontanol, 14-hepatocosanol, stigmasterol and an unidentified triterpenoid C30H50O.
Uses of Eclipta alba
- It acts especially in liver. Hepatomegaly, spleenomegaly, jaundice, piles, stomachache, headache, skin diseases, vertigo induced due to liver diseases are corrected by Bhringaraja.
- Chronic skin diseases such as leprosy, itching wound, premature hair graying, alopecia and scropion stinging are treated by applying paste to the affected part and by giving juice to drink to the patient.
- To blacken and increase hair, Eclipta Juice with “Kasis” (FeSo4) is applied to the hair.
- In wound due to burn, its paste is applied with henna which don't give the wound to form scar in future.
- Bhringaraja Oil nasal drops treats headache, blurred vision and alopecia.
- In catarrh of children 1-2 drops of Bhringaraja Swaras with honey is given which expels the cough of throat.
- Its seed is aphrodisiac.
Bhringaraja is acrid, bitter, hot and dry, is a good rejuvenator. It is good for hair and skin, expels intestinal worms, cures cough and asthma and strengthens body. It is considered a specific in night blindness, eye diseases, headache and disease pertaining to hair and its growth. Traditionally, the drug is extensively used against jaundice. Its juice has power to check the adverse effects in liver caused by alcohol and CCL4.It is used for treatment of skin disorders, loss of appetite, acidity, heart burn, jaundice and anemia. The plant has a bitter, hot sharp dry, antiseptic, cooling, cholagogue deobstruent in hepatic and splenic enlargement, emetic, febrifuge, purgative and alexipharmic; good for complexion, the hair, the eyes, the teeth; cures inflammations, hernias, eye diseases, Kapha and Vata, Bronchitis, asthma, leucoderma, anemia, diseases of heart and skin, itching, syphilis; it is used to prevent abortion and miscarriage and for uterine pain after delivery, according to Ayurveda.
- Powder - 3-6 grams per day,
- Juice - 20 to 30 ml everyday
Where to buy Bhringraj Powder?
To buy Bhringraj Powder, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/bhringraj-powder.html