Natural Treatment of Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
"Gout, unlike any other disease, kills more rich men than poor, more wise men than simple". Great kings, emperors, general, admirals & philosophers have all died of gout. Gout is a Purine metabolic disorder. It is a disorder in which MUMC (Momo urate monohydrate crystals) deposited around the connective tissue of the synovial joints. Urate crystals form due to the increase level of uric acid in the blood. Gout is also known as Podgra, when it involves joint at the base of big toe. Males are more sufferer than females. The uric acid level increases in males over 20 years of age and in females it increases after menopause. Normally, uric acid dissolves in the blood and passes through the kidneys. But sometimes, when the body produces too much of uric acid (in females more than 6.0 mg/dL & males more than 7.0 mg/dL) or when kidneys are not able to excrete uric acid properly. Then level of the uric acid increases and there is a formation of needle like urate crystals in the joint which causes pain, swelling and inflammation.
Gout - According to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda Gout is known as vata-rakta roga. Vata means (wind), rakta means (blood) and roga means (disease). In this vitiated vata doshas get combined with impure blood (rakta dhatu) and travel throughout the body causes swelling, inflammation and severe pain in the joints. Due to intake of diet consisting of salty, sour, pungent, alkaline, fatty, hot and uncooked articles, moist or dried things, meat of aquatic and marshy animals, oil-cakes, radish, horse gram, black gram, other leguminous vegetables, sesamum paste, sugarcane, curd, sour gruel, vinegars, buttermilk, incompatible food, eating during indigestion, anger, day-sleep, vigils mostly in delicate persons who eat delicious things at pleasure & are not in habit of walking aggravates vata-rakta (Gout). It seats in hands, feet, fingers & all joints. At first it confirms its root in hands & feet. Then spreads over all the body.
Due to subtleness & pervasiveness of vayu, liquidity & flowingness of blood it circulates all over the body through blood vessels. Being obstructed in joints due to zigzag way it gets located there with agitation & in combination with pitta dosha etc. causes respective afflictions. Hence, it produces pain in mostly various joints and as such patient suffers from respective pain very difficult to tolerate.
Who are at High Risk of the Gout?
- Person who is obese
- Person who has a high intake of alcohol
- Person who is having Ischemic heart disease
- Person who is having a high Blood pressure
What are the Clinical Features of the Gout?
Synovial joints on the distal end of the first metatarsal phalangeal is affected. There is swelling, arrhythmia, tenderness, extreme pain and this condition is called POGDRA. There are fewer chances that it will affect the large proximal joints in the first attack. In gout there is a formation of the tophi in metacarpal joints, elbow, and knee etc.
What are the Symptoms of the Gout?
- The onset of disease is rapid. There is a worse pain which enables the person to wake up early in the morning. The person codes it as worse & unbearable pain ever.
- Tenderness is so severe that the person is unable to put on the socks and shoes.
- Excess or absence of perspiration.
- In some cases the symptoms relieve itself in 4-5 days. Person feels normal after that.
- Severe pain on injury, laxity in joints.
- Appearance of boils.
- Piercing pain, heaviness, numbness, & itching in (knee, shanks, thigh, waist, shoulder, hands, feet & other joints of body).
- Unstable pain in joints.
- Abnormal complexion & appearance of patches.
What are the Aggravating Factors of the Gout?
- Intake of excessive alcohol and beverages.
- Diet rich in red meat, yeast and oily fish.
- High protein diet like pulses and dairy products.
- Certain Medications like diuretics.
What can be the Complications of the Gout?
- Recurrent gout: Some people experience gout signs and symptoms again and again.
- Advanced gout: Untreated gout may lead to deposits of urate crystals to form under the skin called Tophi.
- Kidney stones: Urate crystals may collect in the urinary tract; hence there is a chance of the kidney stones.
How to Diagnose the Gout?
- Joint fluid test
- Blood test
- CT scan
Herbal Remedies for Gout by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as "Gout Care Pack" for natural treatment of gout. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These products are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. They are safe to use as are free from side effects.
- Giloy Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, after meals, with warm water.
- Kaishore Guggul - 2 tablets twice daily, after meals, with warm water.
- Navkarshik Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily, after meals, with warm water.
- Punarnava Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily, after meals, with warm water.
- Dashmularisht - 2 teaspoonful twice daily with equal amount of water, after meals.
1. Giloy Capsules
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) is a well-known plant in Ayurvedic system of medicine. The capsules are prepared by using standardized extract of Giloy herb. Anti-inflammatory property of Giloy herb treats pain & other associated symptoms with gout. It increases immunity due to anti-oxidant nature, hence clears all blocked channels. Giloy capsules are effective in fever associated with this disease.
2. Kaishore Guggul
These classical tablets are the most effective herbal formulation for gout. Mixture of herbs like Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Guggul resin (Commiphora mukul), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Long piper (Piper longum), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Red physic nut (Baliospermum montanum) and Indian jalap (Ipomoea turpethum) treats inflammation & pain condition.
The tablets contain triphala (Amalaki, Bibhitaki & Haritaki) that is a natural formulation helps to remove toxins from the body. It helps to cure all the metabolic disorders. Kishore guggul is helpful for the accumulation of uric acid in the joints, which is indicated by redness and swelling. It is excellent for removal of uric acid and lymphatic congestion. These tablets are traditionally used in the gout patients characterized by redness, heat, inflammation and severe pain in the joints.
3. Navkarshik Churna
Navkarshik churna give effective results in treating gout. It contains pure blend of the herbs Amla (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Katuki (Picrorrhiza kurroa), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata) that reduces pain, inflammation & swelling.
It acts as an anti-oxidant which removes excess of uric acid from the body. Navkarshik helps to purify the blood, corrects metabolism and helps in heat regulation of the body. The churna improves immunity of the body. It balances the vata dosha also. Use of churna is very effective in swollen and painful joints condition. Navkarshik churna is a pure herbal formulation without adding any chemicals.
4. Punarnava Capsules
Punarnava capsules are another herbal remedy from the house of Planet Ayurveda for gout. It is most effective herbal remedy to reduce the uric acid level. Very beneficial in reducing swelling and pain in the joints. These capsules show anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and analgesic properties. It helps to reduce edema, swelling around the joints & remove toxins from the body.
Dashmularisht is a herbal fermented syrup formulation by planet ayurveda, prepared as per classical texts. It consists of ingredients such as Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Agnimanth (Premna integrifolia), Sonapatha (Oroxylum indicum), Gambhari (Gmelina arborea) and other herbs of dashmool varga (classification of herbs consists of roots of 10 herbs). These herbs possess hot potency and pacify the aggravated vata dosha which is the main cause of vatarakta (gout), thus it helps in the management of gout.
To buy Gout Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/gout-care-pack
Diet and Lifestyle
- One should do exercise daily for 30 mins atleast.
- One should follow healthy and balanced diet plan.
- One should drink plenty of water.
- One should avoid the intake of alcohol and beverages.
- One should take fruits rich in vitamin C like amla, cherries, bananas, oranges and strawberries etc.
- Mix a juice of 1 lemon with ½ tsp of baking soda. Let it be for few seconds, and then mix it in a glass of water. Drink it immediately.
- Mix equal amount of fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and dried ginger powder. Have 1 tsp of this mixture along with warm water. Take it twice daily.
- Eat 15-20 cherries a day as this is highly recommended.
Which foods cause Gout? What triggers Gout?
To ease the pain of Gout, the uric acid level should be under control and the foods to be avoided which increases the level of uric acid are -
- Glandular meats
- Red meat
- High-purine vegetables
- Sugary foods and beverages
- Vitamin C
What are the symptoms of Gout? Which joints are more affected?
The signs and symptoms of Gout suddenly occur.
- Intense joint pain
- Lingering discomfort
- Inflammation and redness
- Limited range of motion
- Loss of function of joints
- Burning sensation
- Contractures of the fingers
- Change in the color of affected joints
- Pain and redness in the small joint
The Gout usually affects the bones and that are the ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, and fingers.
Can Gout cause a fever?
Usually Gout results in fever and chills because of the inflammation, stiffness, and unbearable and acute pain in the affected joints.
What does a Gout attack feel like?
Gout commonly affects the feet. The symptoms are most likely felt or seen -swelling and pain in the joints of the foot, especially the toe. When the patient is suffering from unexpected and intense pain it is called Gout attacks. The attacks feel like the foot is on fire.
What are the types of Gouts and how can they be differentiated?
As per Modern types of Gout are
- Tophaceous Gout (or chronic tophaceous Gout) - Tophis are made due to the accumulation of uric acid among the Gout patient. It is a severe problem as it affects the joints as well as the kidney.
- Pseudo Gout (or calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease [CPPD]) - These crystals are formed due to the accumulation of calcium pyrophosphate. This type is not that severe.
As per Ayurveda types of Gout are
- Uthana Vata Rakta - This is positioned in the skin as well as muscles tissues
- Gambheera Vata Rakta - It is positioned in the deeper tissues.
Who is more prone or at risk to have Gout’s problem?
- Age and gender- Men are more prone
- Genetics- Family history matters
- Lifestyle choices
- Lead exposure
- Recent trauma or surgery
- Other health problems
Can Gout kill you?
It can't kill directly, but the severe and acuteness of the problem can lead to other serious health problems which may ultimately kill you.
If the Gout is left untreated, it can develop clusters of uric acid crystals which are called tophi and can be infected and life-threatening.
Is heat good for Gout?
Yes, heat is good for Gout as it eases the pain and also reduces the inflammation. Place a warm washcloth or heating pad on the painful joint for 15 to 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a day.
What will happen if Gout is left untreated?
If the Gout is left untreated it leads to chronic condition. The acuteness of the disease will lead to a Gout attack with symptoms of inflammation, stiffness, and unbearable pain. Untreated Gout will result in deformation of bones.
Why does Gout hurt more at night?
The Gout attacks happen twice in a day more often during the night and early morning than during the day. The lower body temperature, nighttime dehydration, or a night-time dip of cortisol levels increase the risk of Gout attacks at night.
Is Gout a serious condition?
Yes, Gout is considered to be a serious condition if it is not treated because it leads to deformation of bones. Gout can be the reason for many other diseases which are because of the acuteness of Gout. The problems related to Gout are that it can lead to serious complications, such as permanent joint damage, kidney stones, and serious kidney damage.
What are the stages of Gout?
Gout has four stages
- Asymptomatic hyperuricemia - When the level of Uric acid is high in the blood. It has only this symptom.
- Acute Gout - The raised level of uric acid forms and develops crystals in one joint which leads to pain and swelling. The affected joint feels warm.
- Interval Gout - It is the period between acute Gout attacks.
- Chronic tophaceous Gout - Is the stage when the Gout is left untreated.
What are the causes of Gout?
There are many factors which are the causes of Gout. Blood and metabolic disorders raise the level of uric acid. Too much consumption of alcohol also increases uric acid.
The other factors are -
- A side effect of medication
- Low immunity
- Age factor
- Renal failure
- Being obese
- Eating during indigestion
- Excessive anger
- sleeping during the daytime and awakening in the night
How can we prevent Gout?
- Lessen the consumption of alcohol
- Reduce the intake of purine-rich food, such as shellfish, lamb, beef, pork, and organ meat you eat
- Intake low-fat, non dairy diet that’s rich in vegetables
- lose weight
- Stop smoking
Is It Possible to Have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and Gout together?
Yes, it is possible because rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Gout are the inflammatory diseases which cause pain and swelling in the joints.
How to find out if you have Gout?
There are few tests through which the problem is diagnosed -
- A joint fluid Test
- An ultrasound
- A blood test
Can Gout cause other health problems?
The acuteness of Gout can result in many other health issues like -
- A severe rash (Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis)
- Kidney stones
- Bone marrow suppression (aplastic anemia)
Who is more prone to get Gout?
Men are prone in comparison to women. Women at the stage of menopause have the chance to get Gout. The other stages or causes due to which one can get Gout are -
- Kidney problem
- Hypertension (High blood pressure)
- Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and triglycerides)
How does Gout affect the living?
Intermittent attacks and chronic arthritis affects life. Change in lifestyle helps in managing a lifelong disease. Changes required -
- Weight loss
- Avoid alcohol
- Reduce the consumption of fructose‐containing drinks
- Avoid high protein food.
What are the ways to manage the Gout attack?
- Take proper medication
- Ice pack
- Consult a doctor
- Drink plenty of fluid
- Avoid alcohol
- Walk with a cane stick
- Elevate your foot
- Create Gout-friendly socks
The diet that manages and aggravates Gout?
The diet which controls and manages the raised level of uric acid is always advised to take in Gout and they are -
- Fruits - Other than mangoes and citrus fruit
- Vegetables - green vegetables
- Whole grains that provide complex carbohydrates
- low-fat if it suits you
- Any food which is not rich in Vitamin C.
You should also limit or avoid these foods -
- white bread
- sugary snacks and drinks
- red meats and fatty poultry
- full-fat dairy products
- liver and kidney
- some seafood’s, including anchovies, herring, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, haddock, mackerel, and tuna
What is the impact of Gout on everyday activities?
Gout is a painful, inflamed and stiff joints problem due to which the daily lifestyle is disturbed. Due to these problems, they have disturbed sleep, which leads to fatigue, stress and mood swings which disturbs the overall lifestyle of a person. Due to pain, a person is unable to walk, and do household work and routine work. Joint damage leads to permanent disability which affects the person physically, emotionally and socially.
Which joints are affected in Tophaceous Gout?
Tophi’s are the hard swelling which is felt over the skin is not painful, except during the Gout attacks when these tophis get inflamed and swollen. The tophi continues to grow and affects the surrounding skin and tissues of the joints. It can result in damage and eventual joint destruction. The affected joints are -
How to flush uric acid out of your body naturally?
The natural remedies to lower down the level of uric acid are -
- Apple cider Vinegar - it is a natural cleanser and detoxifier which removes the waste like uric acid from the body.
- Lemon juice - It produces the alkaline effects and neutralizes the uric acid. The vitamin c in it also lowers down the level of uric acid.
- Cherries - Blackberries and cherries have chemicals which reduce the uric acid level.
- Baking soda - It has the property to lower down the level of uric acid and reduces the pain of Gout.
- Epsom salt - has magnesium in it which mixed with water gives relief in pain and reduces the swelling.
- Apple - This fruit contains malic acid which is beneficial in Gout as it reduces the uric acid level and swelling also gives relief in the pain.
- Activated charcoal - It is one of the potential home remedies for Gout because it absorbs the uric acid. Use of it reduces and manages the symptoms of Gout.
- Banana - It has potassium and vitamin c which reduces and manages the symptoms of Gout.
- Celery seeds - Helps in reducing and eliminating the uric acid.
- Papaya - The papain enzyme present in it reduces the swelling and low downs the level of uric acid.
- Ginger - It has an anti-inflammatory property which eases the inflammation of the joints.
- Pineapple - The bromelain enzyme present in it has an anti-inflammatory property which eases the inflammation of the joints.
Is banana good for uric acid?
Yes, banana is good for Gout as it pacifies the symptoms of Gouts due to the presence of potassium and vitamin c in it.
How Gout boosts the risk of heart attack?
Gout is a type of arthritis which is because of the higher level of uric acid in the blood. It is an accumulation of crystals in the joints which results in inflammation. Excess of inflammation results in blood clots which can be the cause of heart attack or stroke.
Is exercise important when you have Gout?
When you are going through a Gout attack one should rest at that time and later on can do exercise because it will burn the toxins and flush it out which bring the uric acid level down and ease the stiffness, inflammation and the pain.
What are the exercises that can be done when you have Gout?
Low impact cardio/ Aerobic exercise- it will boost the lung function and increase the ability to use oxygen to metabolize the acid in the body.Swimming- Increases the mobility and functions of the joints. Stretching – It will increase mobility and ease the stiffness.
Can we take milk products in Gouts?
No, we cannot take milk and dairy products as it leads to Ama formation which gets accumulated in the joints and raises the uric acid which results in pain, stiffness, and inflammation.
As per Ayurveda, which dosha is responsible for Gout?
Vata dosha is responsible for Gout as it disturbs the blood circulation of the body. To cure Gout the Vata dosha has to manage and balance.
According to Ayurveda what is Gout called and why?
Gout is called Aadhya-vata or Vata-Rakta as per Ayurveda because this disease is the result of vitiation of blood and Vata dosha in the body. The vitiation is because of the lifestyle and the dietary habits that we are following these days and is common.
What is Gout according to Ayurveda?
Gout is a painful metabolic disease we can say is a kind of arthritis that has inflammation and accumulation of uric acid in the joints. Gouts have sudden and severe attacks which give burning pain, redness, and tenderness in joints. With time Gout will harm the joints, tendons, and other tissues.
How is Panchakarma good for Gout?
Panchkarma is the process that balances the vitiated Vata dosha and pacifies the pitta dosha by removing the toxins from the body which are responsible for the raised level of uric acid. A raised level of uric acid results in Gout. The Panchkarma therapies that are done to get Gout cured are -
- Virechana therapy
- Vamana therapy
- Vasti therapy
- Rakt Mokshan therapy
What are the symptoms seen in Uttana Vatarakta?
- Kandhu - Itching
- Daha - Burning sensation
- Ruk - Ache
- Aayama - Hindrance in the movement of joints
- Toda - Pricking pain in the affected joints
- Sphurana - Hurting sensation
- Aakunchana - Contraction of the bones
- Shyava rakta tvak - The skin color of the affected joint changes to brownish black, red or copper.
What are the symptoms seen in Gambhira Vata Rakta?
- Shvayathu - Oedema( accumulation of watery fluid in the tissues of the body)
- Stabdha - stiffness
- Kathina - Hardness
- Antar bhrusha arti - Unbearable pain in the body
- Shyava tamra tvak - The skin color of the affected joint changes to brownish black, red or copper.
- Sphurana - Hurting sensation
- Daha - Burning
- Toda - Pricking pain in the affected joints
- Pakavan - Suppuration of the joints in the chronic and untreated condition.
Which Ghrita is important in the treatment of Gout?
- Shravanyadi Ghrita
- Bala Ghrita
- Parushaka Ghrita
- Jeevaneeya Ghrita
Yoga Asanas for Gout relief?
The yoga asanas reduce the accumulation of uric acid in the joints which leads to inflammation, stiffness, and pain. By practicing these asanas the flexibility of the joints increases and avoids the flare-up of the stiffness and inflammation which will ease the pain. The types of asanas are -
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (The Spinal Twist Pose)
- Bhujangasana (The Cobra Pose)
- Dhanurasana (The Bow Pose)
- Halasana (The Plow Pose)
- Hastashirasana (The Hand to Head Pose)
- Januhastasana (The Hand to Knee Pose)
- Makarasana (The Crocodile Pose)
- Pavan mukhtasana (The Wind Relieving Pose)
- Pranayama (Breathing technique)
- Tadasana (The Mountain Pose)
- Trikonasana (The Triangle Pose)
- Uttana Padasana (The Extended leg Pose)
- Veerasana (The Hero Pose)
- Vrikshasana (The Tree Pose)
What are the herbs useful in Gout?
There are natural herbs which have the quality to remove and reduce the uric acid level, act as an anti-inflammatory, and analgesic which is the cause of Gout and the herbs are -
- Guduchi/ Tinospora cordifolia
- Punarnava/ Boerhavia diffusa
- Manjistha/ Rubia cordifolia
- Yashtimadhu/ Glycyrrhiza Glabra
- Ashwagandha/ Withania somnifera
- Shunthi/ Zingiber officinale
What is the Ayurvedic management for Gout?
Gout and its type vary from patient to patient which depends upon the person’s physical and psychological constitution that are doshaj and prakruti. The Ayurvedic Management depends upon -
- Diet and Lifestyle Changes
- Panchakarma Therapy
- Yoga and Exercise
When does Gout become a long-term problem?
When the uric acid level stays high and the formation of crystals increases around the joints. The condition can be dragged for the long term if the problem is untreated. The reasons are -
- Flares happen more often and last longer
- Flare-ups in other parts of your body
- Bumps form under the skin
- Kidney problems
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile