"Gout, unlike any other disease, kills more rich men than poor, more wise men than simple". Great kings, emperors, general, admirals & philosophers have all died of gout. Gout is a Purine metabolic disorder. It is a disorder in which MUMC (Momo urate monohydrate crystals) deposited around the connective tissue of the synovial joints. Urate crystals form due to the increase level of uric acid in the blood. Gout is also known as Podgra, when it involves joint at the base of big toe. Males are more sufferer than females. The uric acid level increases in males over 20 years of age and in females it increases after menopause. Normally, uric acid dissolves in the blood and passes through the kidneys. But sometimes, when the body produces too much of uric acid (in females more than 6.0 mg/dL & males more than 7.0 mg/dL) or when kidneys are not able to excrete uric acid properly. Then level of the uric acid increases and there is a formation of needle like urate crystals in the joint which causes pain, swelling and inflammation.
Gout - According to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda Gout is known as vata-rakta roga. Vata means (wind), rakta means (blood) and roga means (disease). In this vitiated vata doshas get combined with impure blood (rakta dhatu) and travel throughout the body causes swelling, inflammation and severe pain in the joints. Due to intake of diet consisting of salty, sour, pungent, alkaline, fatty, hot and uncooked articles, moist or dried things, meat of aquatic and marshy animals, oil-cakes, radish, horse gram, black gram, other leguminous vegetables, sesamum paste, sugarcane, curd, sour gruel, vinegars, buttermilk, incompatible food, eating during indigestion, anger, day-sleep, vigils mostly in delicate persons who eat delicious things at pleasure & are not in habit of walking aggravates vata-rakta (Gout). It seats in hands, feet, fingers & all joints. At first it confirms its root in hands & feet. Then spreads over all the body.
Due to subtleness & pervasiveness of vayu, liquidity & flowingness of blood it circulates all over the body through blood vessels. Being obstructed in joints due to zigzag way it gets located there with agitation & in combination with pitta dosha etc. causes respective afflictions. Hence, it produces pain in mostly various joints and as such patient suffers from respective pain very difficult to tolerate.
Who are at High Risk of the Gout?
- Person who is obese
- Person who has a high intake of alcohol
- Person who is having Ischemic heart disease
- Person who is having a high Blood pressure
What are the Clinical Features of the Gout?
Synovial joints on the distal end of the first metatarsal phalangeal is affected. There is swelling, arrhythmia, tenderness, extreme pain and this condition is called POGDRA. There are fewer chances that it will affect the large proximal joints in the first attack. In gout there is a formation of the tophi in metacarpal joints, elbow, and knee etc.
What are the Symptoms of the Gout?
- The onset of disease is rapid. There is a worse pain which enables the person to wake up early in the morning. The person codes it as worse & unbearable pain ever.
- Tenderness is so severe that the person is unable to put on the socks and shoes.
- Excess or absence of perspiration.
- In some cases the symptoms relieve itself in 4-5 days. Person feels normal after that.
- Severe pain on injury, laxity in joints.
- Appearance of boils.
- Piercing pain, heaviness, numbness, & itching in (knee, shanks, thigh, waist, shoulder, hands, feet & other joints of body).
- Unstable pain in joints.
- Abnormal complexion & appearance of patches.
What are the Aggravating Factors of the Gout?
- Intake of excessive alcohol and beverages.
- Diet rich in red meat, yeast and oily fish.
- High protein diet like pulses and dairy products.
- Certain Medications like diuretics.
What can be the Complications of the Gout?
- Recurrent gout: Some people experience gout signs and symptoms again and again.
- Advanced gout: Untreated gout may lead to deposits of urate crystals to form under the skin called Tophi.
- Kidney stones: Urate crystals may collect in the urinary tract; hence there is a chance of the kidney stones.
How to Diagnose the Gout?
- Joint fluid test
- Blood test
- CT scan
Herbal Remedies for Gout by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as "Gout Care Pack" for natural treatment of gout. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These products are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. They are safe to use as are free from side effects.
- Giloy Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
- Kaishore Guggul - 2 tablets twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
- Navkarshik Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
- Punarnava Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
1. Giloy Capsules
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) is a well-known plant in Ayurvedic system of medicine. The capsules are prepared by using standardized extract of Giloy herb. Anti-inflammatory property of Giloy herb treats pain & other associated symptoms with gout. It increases immunity due to anti-oxidant nature, hence clears all blocked channels. Giloy capsules are effective in fever associated with this disease.
2. Kaishore Guggul
These classical tablets are the most effective herbal formulation for gout. Mixture of herbs like Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Guggul resin (Commiphora mukul), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Long piper (Piper longum), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Red physic nut (Baliospermum montanum) and Indian jalap (Ipomoea turpethum) treats inflammation & pain condition.
The tablets contain triphala (Amalaki, Bibhitaki & Haritaki) that is a natural formulation helps to remove toxins from the body. It helps to cure all the metabolic disorders. Kishore guggul is helpful for the accumulation of uric acid in the joints, which is indicated by redness and swelling. It is excellent for removal of uric acid and lymphatic congestion. These tablets are traditionally used in the gout patients characterized by redness, heat, inflammation and severe pain in the joints.
3. Navkarshik Churna
Navkarshik churna give effective results in treating gout. It contains pure blend of the herbs Amla (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Katuki (Picrorrhiza kurroa), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata) that reduces pain, inflammation & swelling.
It acts as an anti-oxidant which removes excess of uric acid from the body. Navkarshik helps to purify the blood, corrects metabolism and helps in heat regulation of the body. The churna improves immunity of the body. It balances the vata dosha also. Use of churna is very effective in swollen and painful joints condition. Navkarshik churna is a pure herbal formulation without adding any chemicals.
4. Punarnava Capsules
Punarnava capsules are another herbal remedy from the house of Planet Ayurveda for gout. It is most effective herbal remedy to reduce the uric acid level. Very beneficial in reducing swelling and pain in the joints. These capsules show anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and analgesic properties. It helps to reduce edema, swelling around the joints & remove toxins from the body.
To buy Gout Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/gout-care-pack
Diet and Lifestyle
- One should do exercise daily for 30 mins atleast.
- One should follow healthy and balanced diet plan.
- One should drink plenty of water.
- One should avoid the intake of alcohol and beverages.
- One should take fruits rich in vitamin C like amla, cherries, bananas, oranges and strawberries etc.
- Mix a juice of 1 lemon with ½ tsp of baking soda. Let it be for few seconds, and then mix it in a glass of water. Drink it immediately.
- Mix equal amount of fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and dried ginger powder. Have 1 tsp of this mixture along with warm water. Take it twice daily.
- Eat 15-20 cherries a day as this is highly recommended.