HERBAL REMEDIES FOR CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS
An article on Cervical Spondylosis - by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurveda)
Cervical Spondylosis is a degenerative disorder of the neck bones due to abnormal wear of the bone cartilage. This might lead to gradual compression of one or more than one nerve roots. This may lead to tingling or needles pricking sensation in arm, pain in neck and arm and weakness of arm muscles.
Sometimes the cause of cervical spondylosis or pain in the back of the neck is occupational strain resulting from intensity and duration of working hours especially infront of a computer. Cervical spondylosis is afflicting the working class in the age group of 18 to 40 years, especially those in the IT sector. Percentage of such patients is increasing due to stress, pressure at work place and unhealthy food habits.
The suffers from cervical spondylosis are usually Students, Doctors, IT professionals, Designers, Architects, Web designers and many other professionals who remain confined to the desk or in front of computer for hours together in one posture. The number of people suffering from cervical spondylosis is rising everyday and especially when the stress is also increasing every passing day.
Neck pain can also be caused by an injury, muscular problem or by a trapped nerve between vertebrae. Besides, inappropriate working or sleeping posture may also be responsible. Cervical spondylosis is a clinical syndrome resulting from degeneration of the intervertebral disc and consequent pressure on the cervical nerve roots or the cervical cord. An x-ray reveals the formation of osteophytes and loss of normal lordosis or forwards curve. This is essentially an extension of degenerative changes in the body as a whole.
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
- Long hour of reading or working on computers
- Watching TV for long hours
- Driving for long hours
- Trapped nerve between vertebrae due to degeneration of ligaments, discs in between the cervical vertebrae.
- Bad sitting or sleeping posture
- Injury and muscular problem leading to abnormal tear of joints, ligaments and structure surrounding the inter-vertebral joints.
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
Pain at the back of the neck region, causing headache, altered sensation especially during combing of hair Numbness & weakness may appear in arms, hands, fingers and legs, Headache Irritable, restless and fatigued, disturbed sleep and impaired work ability Pain, stiffness in the neck, which may spread to other body parts, like shoulder and arm.
Precautions to be taken if you suffer from Cervical Spondylosis
- Avoid large and thick pillow while sleeping
- Avoid sudden twisting of neck
- Do neck muscle building exercises
- Do not sit for long hours infront of a computer or take breaks in between.
Advice for patients
Don't go for strong violent massage with deep pressure. This may cause more damage than relief from Spondylosis.
- Neck exercises as advised by physiotherapist are recommended.
- Milk intake or calcium supplement intake should be optimum.
- Herbal Anti-inflammatory drugs like Curcumin, Guggul, Joint aid plus can be taken along with other medications already being taken. These herbs are purely natural and do not cause any side effects.
- No manipulations by bone setters, Neck collar in case the pain is severe, Physiotherapy, neck traction and diathermy
Herbal Remedies for Cervical Spondylitis
- Joint Aid Plus - 2 capsules twice daily
- Yograj guggul - 2 tablets twice daily
- Hakam Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily
Where to Buy Cervical Spondylitis Care Pack?
To buy Cervical Spondylitis Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/cervical-spondylosis-care-pack.html.
1. Yograj Guggul - Best among all Herbal remedies for Cervical Spondylitis
There are so many other useful herbal remedies for Cervical Spondylitis which give excellent results in joint pains and inflammation. These herbal remedies are also effective in many other forms of arthritis. Yograj Guggul is one of the best herbal remedies for cervical Spondylitis.
Commiphora mukul is a very unique and powerful anti-inflammatory herb and is very effective in all types of arthritis. Some of the tablets containing this herb are mentioned below. These herbal tablets are purely classical herbal remedies for arthritis and are used in Ayurveda since ages.
These are herbal tablets useful in chronic inflammation of joints. These can be used for long term arthriits herbal remedy in cases of rheumatoid arthritis and Cervical Spondylosis. In cases of Rheumatoid arthritis and severe cervical spondylosis and slipped disc cases - Yograj Guggul should be combined with Joint Aid Plus and Hakam Churna. This makes a wonderful combination of herbal remedies for cervical spondylosis.
Stress and Cervical Spondylosis
Stress plays a major role in almost every other health condition and fastens the process of ageing. Almost everyone is suffering from stress now days. Stress aggravates pains in the body and leads to aggravation in the symptoms of cervical Spondylosis. Stress support is necessary and this herbal formula can be used with other herbs for Cervical Spondylosis recommended in this page above. The dosage is 1 capsule twice daily.
2. Stress Support - Relieves Stress Naturally
This product has its roots in Ayurveda-ancient herbal healthcare system of India. According to Ayurveda the balance of 3 energies- Vata, Pitta and Kapha (Kinetic, Thermal and Potential energy) in the body is a disease free state whereas their imbalance causes diseases. Continuous stress leads to imbalance of Vata and consequently other energies. The herbs in this product act synergistically to control vitiated Vata", therefore acting on the root cause.
Herbs in Stress Support
Stress Support is purely an herbal formulation without any chemicals added into it. The ingredients are frequently used in Ayurvedic system of medicine since 5,000 B.C. without any side effects.
|S. No.||Herb Used||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||Root||200 gm|
|2.||Tagar||Valeriana wallichii||Root||200 gm|
|3.||Brahmi||Bacopa monnieri||Whole||100 gm|
1. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha is also commonly known as 'Indian ginseng'. It is a unique herb with multiple functions. It contains active components like 'Withanolides' and 'Withaferin' which are very beneficial for nervous system. The herb also possesses anti-inflammatory, antitumor, antistress, antioxidant, immunomodulatory, hemopoietic, and rejuvenating properties. It is especially useful in diabetics and blood pressure people as it also controls diabetes and blood pressure. It relieves stress, anxiety and enhances physical and mental performance naturally. The herb acts as anti-inflammatory agent in cervical Spondylosis.
2. Tagar (Valeriana wallichii): It is commonly known as 'Valerian' and is very popular herb in the west. It is used in India for its benefits in calming down the nervous system. It relieves stress and anxiety and also fights depression. It also relaxes muscles and is very useful among natural herbal remedies for cervical Spondylosis.
3. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): The herb 'Brahmi' is used in Ayurveda since ages for loss in memory, lack of concentration, forgetfulness. It increases the retention power as well as recollection. It is very useful in many mental illnesses also. Regular use also helps in stress, anxiety, blood pressure, hallucinations and epilepsy. Regular use of this herb improves mental ability and cognition.
Home Remedies For Cervical Spondylosis
- Use Cow's ghee in your food. It is a best natural "Vata" reliever and gives nourishment to the nerves and other body parts.
- 1 tablespoonful of Turmeric should be consumed once everyday, after boiling it in milk for half an hour. It is a very useful herbal treatment for cervical Spondylosis.
- Constipation must be avoided at all costs. Constipation may increase pain in Cervical Spondylosis.
- Herbs have divine healing powers and they have the ability to cure any disease from the root. They were gifted to us by God when he created life. So believe in God if you want to get rid of your problems !
- Ayurvedic herbs are unique natural remedies for Cervical Spondylosis. Ayurvedic principles are different in many ways from modern medicine for example - Drinking water from a copper pan after keeping it overnight is also very useful in Rheumatoid arthritis and Cervical Spondylosis.
- Consuming castor oil at night with milk or alone is a very useful herbal remedy for arthritis, especially rheumatoid arthritis and Cervical Spondylosis.
- Improve your nutrition as first step.It plays important role to fight diseases. When nothing works, nutrition works a lot !
- Use herbal juices like Aloe vera juice (Kumari Saar) and Amla Juice (Amla Saar) in routine. Amla is the richest source of natural Vitamin C. Vitamin C improves the natural immunity of the body. 100 gm of Amla juice contains 30 times more vitamin C than 100 gm of oranges.