What is gastritis?
Gastritis is an inflammation of the inner lining of the gastric mucosa. It may affect a part of the internal lining of the stomach or the whole of the gastric mucosa may get inflamed.
Depending upon the onset of the condition, gastritis may occur acutely or in chronic condition, it may occur as a result of a long standing irritation of the gastric lining of the stomach.
What is the cause of gastritis?
Gastritis commonly occurs as a result of the infection of a bacteria that resides in the antrum of the stomach in the initial stages of the condition. It is known as Helicobacter pylori.
Other common cause of gastritis are:-
- Use of NSAIDs (Non – steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
- Drugs like cocaine
- Alcohol abuse
- Allergic reaction
- Food poisoning etc.
Common symptoms of gastritis
The most common symptoms of gastritis include:-
- Pain in the upper abdomen
- Bitter taste in mouth
- Heart burn
- Loss of appetite
Ayurvedic point of view on gastritis
Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine and has been followed in India since time immemorial.
According to Ayurveda, gastritis can be compared to "Amlapitta" in Ayurveda.
Acidity or gastritis commonly occurs due to the imbalance of the pitta body energy. It is one of the three body energies according to Ayurveda which are to be balanced in order to maintain a healthy body.
Pitta is the body energy that has a predominant fire element, water being the other predominant element.
Pitta is the main force that balances the digestive secretions in the human body. When due to the vitiation of the pitta body energy, there occurs an over secretion of the acidic content of the gastric juices, that a condition called as gastritis occurs.
It is known as "Amla pitta" in Ayurveda.
What are the consequences of prolonged gastritis?
Formation of gastric ulcers is a consequence of the prolonged irritation of the lining of the stomach and gastric mucosa.
Can gastritis be completely cured?
Gastritis can be completely cured if the condition is diagnosed in the initial stages of the disease and proper treatment procedures are followed.
An appropriate diet is very essential for managing the gastric mucosal inflammation and all kinds of food products that may cause irritation in the stomach lining are to be strictly avoided.
How to control gastritis naturally?
In mild forms of the condition, light dietary modifications and change of sleeping habits can help to resolve the condition to a large extent.
A doctor's advice should be sought if the symptoms are not manageable with the above changes and interfere with day to day activities.
If there is trouble sleeping at night or severe pain in abdomen or continuous vomiting and nausea, an immediate visit to your health care provider becomes necessary.
What dietary and lifestyle changes are required to prevent gastritis?
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption
- Avoid spicy and heavy food products e.g. processed, fried food
- Avoid sodas and soft drinks
- Avoid any food that can cause an allergic reaction in the form of gastritis
- Exercise regularly, as per your body's comfort level
- Never overeat, keep a check on the size of the portions that you take for every meal.
- Stop using medicines that cause gastritis as a side effects, consult your doctor for safer alternatives.
- Take proper antacids to neutralize the acid secretions in the stomach
- Take coconut water daily to neutralize the acidic secretions of the stomach.
- Avoid using acidic food products
- Avoid dairy products if you have lactose intolerance
Can dairy products cause gastritis?
Dairy products are a common cause of gastritis in people who have lactose intolerance. Our body produces enzyme lactase for digesting the milk sugars. But this is limited to young age after which as we grow, this enzyme is no longer produced in the body. Other enzymes however take over the function of digesting lactose sugar found in milk and all dairy products.
Now, there are a few people who are not able to digest milk and some of the milk made products. In them, gastritis occurs as a result of the indigestion of milk.
It is important to know whether you are able to digest milk products properly or not in order to deduce milk intolerance as the possible cause of gastritis.
Are there any natural supplements to support healthy stomach lining?
There are a number of dietary supplements and nutraceutical products available in the market which can help to support healthy digestion and maintain a healthy stomach.
Planet Ayurveda offers many natural supplements which help in maintaining a healthy stomach and gastric mucosa.
Dietary supplements for a healthy stomach
- Digestion Support - 2 capsules, twice daily, 1 hr. after meals with plain water
- Vara Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily, 1 hr. after meals, with plain water
- Amalaki Rasayan - 2 capsules, twice daily, 1 hr. after meals with plain water
- Gotukola Capsules - 2 capsules, twice daily, 1 hr. after meals with plain water
Where to buy these Dietary supplements?
To buy buy these Dietary supplements, please visit store.planetayurveda.com