DIABETES MELLITUS - MADHUMEHA
Diabetes is a major health concern that is progressing at a rapid rate, affecting numerous people across the world. It is a major metabolic disorder that affects the glucose metabolism in the body, eventually affecting all the body organs in an adverse manner.
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that is slowly becoming a major health concern in all developed and developing nations. The disease is of two types Diabetes - type -1 that has a juvenile onset and Type – 2 that has its onset at maturity and affects adults only. Though it usually occurs in the later decades of life but, nowadays Diabetes can be seen in people as young as 25 – 30 yrs. of age.
Type-2 diabetes progresses slowly in an individual and is mostly found in adults for which reason, it is also called as maturity onset diabetes.
CAUSE OF HIGH BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS IN DIABETES
Pancreas are made up of three types of cells known as the alpha cells, the beta cells and the delta cells. Our pancreas produce insulin hormone from its beta cells. The insulin hormone has the responsibility to make the glucose (produced as a result of digestion of our food) available to each and every cell of the body. This glucose is required by each and every body cell for obtaining energy to sustain itself.
Due to many factors like inheritance, diet, weight etc. insulin is either insufficiently produced by the pancreas or it is not able to perform its function properly and the cells are not able to utilize the glucose present in blood.
As a result, these cells start degrading slowly and damaging effects of a sustained high blood sugar level can be seen on the whole body. This stage is known as insulin resistance. The pancreas try to compensate for insulin function by making it in larger amounts but eventually a stage is reached when this whole process fails and artificial supplementation of insulin becomes a necessity.
DIABETES OR MADHUMEHA ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
Ayurveda is one of the most popular systems of medicines today. Though originally, Ayurveda has its roots in India but its principles are now being practiced all over the world as it deals with natural maintenance of the human body.
Prameha is a group of metabolic disorders explained in Ayurveda. It literally means a tendency to pass urine in excess of the normal amounts and frequency. The urine passed is usually turbid and may have a foul smell.
Types of Prameha:-
- Congenital/ Heriditary prameha - It is when the condition runs in families, generation after generation.
- Kaphaja Prameha - due to vitiation of the phlegm body humor
- Pittaja Prameha - due to the vitiation of the fire body humor
- Vataja Prameha - due to the vitiation of the air body energy/ humor.
MADHUMEHA/ DIABETES MELLITUS
Madhumeha literally means, passage of sweet or honey like urine. It is a type of vataja prameha. It is said that all types of prameha (20 in total) eventually convert into madhumeha, if not treated in time.
PATHOGENESIS OF MADHUMEHA
"DOSHA DHATU MAL MOOLAM HI SHARIRAM"
According to Ayurveda, any pathology in the human body occurs due to the vitiation of either the body energies/ doshas namely vata, pitta and kapha or dhatus (body tissues) - lymph, blood, muscles, adipose tissues, bones, bone marrow and hormones or the malas – sweat, urine and feces.
Due to Faulty dietary and lifestyle habits, the phlegm body energy gets adversely affected which vitiates the digestive fire.
As a result, the food we eat is not digested properly and large number of toxins are formed inside the body. These toxins then interact with the channels of circulation in the body and vata body energy is also vitiated.
As a result, the body's natural ability to keep itself healthy and disease free is reduced (OJA KSHAYA). All this results in madhumeha or as we better know it, Diabetes mellitus.
CAUSES OF DIABETES MELLITUS/ MADHUMEHA
- Hereditary factors
- Family history of Diabetes
- Dietary factors like - High calorie diet and over eating.
- Lifestyle problems - Stress, sedentary life style, lethargic living etc.
SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES MELLITUS/ MADHUMEHA
- Sweet taste in the mouth
- Tingling in the hands and feet
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive urination
- Numbness in any part of the body
- General weakness
- Feeling of heaviness in the body
FAQs ABOUT DIABETES MELLITUS
What are the risk factors for developing Diabets mellitus?
Common risk factors that make one susceptible to the development of Diabetes mellitus are:-
- Family history of the disease
- Certain races are prone to type – 2 Diabetes mellitus, these include, African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans and Asian Americans etc.
- The risk of developing Diabetes mellitus increases with age.
- Pregnancy – gestational Diabetes
- Certain diseases like High blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, Poly cystic ovarian disease increase the chances of developing Diabetes mellitus.
Are there any Natural supplements to maintain healthy blood sugar levels?
Natural supplements to maintain healthy blood sugar levels can be used as great dietary supplementation which help to support the overall health status of the body.
There are many natural supplements which prove to be very effective in the maintenance of blood sugar levels in the body.
Planet Ayurveda has a list of Natural supplements that work very well to maintain healthy blood glucose levels.
- Fenugreek Capsules - 2 Capsules, twice daily after meals.
- Karela Capsules - 2 Capsules, twice daily after meals.
- Diabeta Plus - 2 Capsules twice daily after meals.
- Madhumehantak Churna - 1 – 2 tea spoon full twice daily with plain water, after meals.
Where to buy healthy Diabetes Care Pack?
To buy Diabetes Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/diabetes-care-pack.html