Herbal Remedies for Cervical Spondylosis
An article on Cervical Spondylosis by Dr. Vikram Chauhan - MD (Ayurveda)
Cervical Spondylosis is also known as cervical osteoarthritis or cervical Spondylosis. It generally affects the men and women older than 35 and progresses with age. People with less bone density or low calcium diet are prone to this condition. Cervical Spondylosis is ageing related degenerative osteoarthritis of the neck vertebrae. Cervical Spondylosis is a chronic degeneration of the neck bones but also the cushions or the inter vertebral discs are also involved.
The degeneration in cervical Spondylosis is a result of wear and tear on the vertebral column in neck due to ageing. The bony spurs or the osteophytes are the degenerative changes which are seen in the x-ray (radiogram) of the neck vertebral column. The osteophytes (small bony spurs) of cervical bones can lead to pressure on the spinal nerves and, sometimes, the spinal cord itself, leading to pain in neck, pain radiating to arms and hands and sensation of needles and pricks in the arms and fingers.
Mild cases of cervical Spondylosis often require no treatment or may respond to conservative treatment, including wearing a neck brace and taking home remedies for cervical Spondylosis. More severe cases of cervical Spondylosis, however, particularly those involving pressure on the spinal nerves or cord, may require treatment ranging from neck traction to stronger medications to surgery.
Cervical Spondylosis Pain Management
The explanation of Cervical Spondylosis may seem weird to modern world people but Ayurveda is an ancient healing science utilizing herbs for centuries. Most of the patients respond very well to Ayurvedic treatment of Cervical Spondylosis as the principles of healing are focused on balancing the "Vata" - the culprit behind pain due to nerves.
So vitiated vata is controlled by herbs like Guggul, Shallaki, Ashwagandha, Sonth (All found in Joint aid Plus described in this page)
Vata - the kinetic energy of the body is regulated by regular massage with Ayurvedic oils, internal consumption of medicated Cow's ghee. Anti-inflammatory herbal tablets like Joint aid plus, Yograj Guggul, Hakam Churna is useful in managing pain and inflammation in Cervical Spondylosis. There is sometimes very painful condition in Cervical Spondylosis, that pain and inflammation needs to be tackled quickly. There is a complete package for cervical Spondylosis mentioned on this page, comprising of joint aid plus, hakam churna and yograj guggul. These are the herbs for painful joints and cervical Spondylosis which work instantly.
Constipation is another reason for vata vitiation. Constipation must be avoided at all costs in Cervical Spondylosis. Constipation leads to vitiation of Vata and formation of gas, which may increase bouts of increased pain in neck.
Stress is another factor for cervical Spondylosis and neck rigidity. The stress also causes stiffness in neck joints and Ashwagandha is the herb which is beneficial in stress related muscle stiffness. Ashwagandha is also one of the ingredients of the product Joint aid plus which is effective for Cervical Spondylosis and other painful muscular and joint conditions. Stress also increases the speed of bone erosion and low bone density. The herbs in joint aid plus are good natural anti-inflammatory herbs. They help to restore the bone density as Ashwagandha in Joint aid plus help to provide strength to the bones and nerves.
Signs and symptoms in Cervical Spondylosis
Stiffness and neck pain that gets progressively worse with time may be an indication of cervical Spondylosis. The pain may range from mild to severe and debilitating. The condition may last for several months before improving, or it may become chronic.
Other signs and symptoms may include:
- Neck pain that radiates to the shoulders and arms
- Numbness or tingling sensation or weakness in the arms, hands and fingers
- Headaches that radiate to the back of the head
- Loss of balance, vertigo
- Numbness or weakness in the legs, if lumbar vertebrae are involved and if the spinal cord is compressed
- Loss of bladder or bowel control, if the lumbar vertebrae are involved and if the spinal cord is compressed
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
Ageing is the chief factor for Cervical Spondylosis. With growing age, the discs of your spine become drier and less elastic. According to Ayurvedic principles of healing, the dryness and inelasticity can be checked by using ghrit- medicated butter oil or cow's ghee in moderation.
The degeneration can cause some of the discs to bulge out and can cause the central cartilage of the discs to protrude through a crack in the ring that surrounds the disc (herniate). The surrounding ligaments become less flexible, and the vertebrae may develop bone spurs.
These degenerative changes may be a result of wear and tear throughout your life. An earlier injury to neck may predispose you to this degeneration. By age 50, most people will show signs of cervical Spondylosis on X-ray, although they may not have signs or symptoms.
Cervical Spondylosis is degenerative disease of the bones and discs in the neck, which can lead to a variety of problems, including herniated discs.
Herbal Remedies for Cervical Spondylosis by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Cervical Spondylosis Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of cervical spondylosis. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Yograj Guggul - 2 tablets, two times a day, with plain water.
- Hakam churna - 1 teaspoonful, two times a day, with plain water, after meals.
- Joint aid plus - 2 capsules, two times a day, with plain water.
1. Yograj Guggul
The main ingredient of these tablets is the herb Commiphora mukul. These are pure herbal tablets and are can be used along with Joint Aid Plus in cases of severe acute and chronic pain in Cervical Spondylosis and other forms of joint pains. Yograj Guggul can be used with Hakam Churna (Herbal powder for stiff joints, stiff neck and stressed nerves). These can be consumed along with Joint Aid Plus. Neck stiffness responds very well to this combination of these 3 herbal formulations.
2. Hakam Churna
This ancient formula of rare herbs contain chandersoor (lepidium sativium), Kalonji (nigella sativa), Methi (Fenugreek), Ajwain (Celery seeds) and is very useful in cases of disc prolapsed, cervical and lower back pain, strains and sprains in muscles, tendons. The herbs in this formulation hasten the healing in case of muscle rupture, ligament sprain, neck stiffness, disc prolapsed, lower back and neck pain.
3. Joint Aid Plus
These herbal capsules contain Commiphora mukul, dry ginger, Ashwagandha which reduce the inflammation remarkably. It helps to relax the muscles around back of neck. It helps to fight the stress, pain, inflammation and swelling around the cervical discs. These pills are useful in inflammatory Cervical Spondylosis and rheumatoid arthritis also. These give better results if used along with hakam churna, yograj guggul. This helps to reduce the swelling around joints as well.
Where to Buy Cervical Spondylosis Care Pack?
To buy Cervical Spondylosis Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/cervical-spondylosis-care-pack.html
There are many herbs which are described in Ayurveda for cervical Spondylosis. These herbs are also useful in all types of arthritis like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and other forms of inflammatory joint conditions as well as cervical Spondylosis. Some of them reduce the pain; some reduce inflammation while herbs like Ashwagandha are helpful in Stress as well.
Stress and Cervical Spondylosis
Stress plays a major role in almost every other health condition and fastens the process of ageing. Almost everyone is suffering from stress now days. Stress aggravates pains in the body and leads to aggravation in the symptoms of cervical Spondylosis. Stress support is necessary and this herbal formula can be used with other herbs for Cervical Spondylosis recommended in this page above. The dosage is 1 capsule twice daily.
Stress Support - Relieves Stress Naturally
This product has its roots in Ayurveda-ancient herbal healthcare system of India. According to Ayurveda the balance of 3 energies- Vata, Pitta and Kapha (Kinetic, Thermal and Potential energy) in the body is a disease free state whereas their imbalance causes diseases. Continuous stress leads to imbalance of Vata and consequently other energies. The herbs in this product act synergistically to control vitiated Vata", therefore acting on the root cause.
Herbs in Stress Support
Stress Support is purely an herbal formulation without any chemicals added into it. The ingredients are frequently used in Ayurvedic system of medicine since 5,000 B.C. without any side effects.
Ingredients of Joint Aid Plus
|S. No.||Herb Used||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||Root||200 gm|
|2.||Tagar||Valeriana wallichii||Root||200 gm|
|3.||Brahmi||Bacopa monnieri||Whole||100 gm|
1. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha is also commonly known as 'Indian ginseng'. It is a unique herb with multiple functions. It contains active components like 'Withanolides' and 'Withaferin' which are very beneficial for nervous system. The herb also possesses anti-inflammatory, antitumor, antistress, antioxidant, immunomodulatory, hemopoietic, and rejuvenating properties. It is especially useful in diabetics and blood pressure people as it also controls diabetes and blood pressure. It relieves stress, anxiety and enhances physical and mental performance naturally. The herb acts as anti-inflammatory agent in cervical Spondylosis.
2. Tagar (Valeriana wallichii): It is commonly known as 'Valerian' and is very popular herb in the west. It is used in India for its benefits in calming down the nervous system. It relieves stress and anxiety and also fights depression. It also relaxes muscles and is very useful among natural herbal remedies for cervical Spondylosis.
3. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): The herb 'Brahmi' is used in Ayurveda since ages for loss in memory, lack of concentration, forgetfulness. It increases the retention power as well as recollection. It is very useful in many mental illnesses also. Regular use also helps in stress, anxiety, blood pressure, hallucinations and epilepsy. Regular use of this herb improves mental ability and cognition.
Where to buy Stress Support?
To buy Stress Support, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/stress-support.html
Joint Aid Plus
Joint Aid Plus is an effective herbal supplement for cervical Spondylosis and other painful joint conditions. It is a blend of unique herbs described in Ayurveda as best anti-inflammatory herbs. These rare herbs are nature's answer to moderate to severe forms of inflammation, swelling and pain. Joint Aid Plus contains extracts of Shallaki, Guggul, Dry Ginger, and Ashwagandha. These herbs act together in a synergistic manner and control acute and chronic inflammatory reactions and muscle stiffness. The results are evident in cases of cervical Spondylosis within few days of using Joint Aid plus capsules.
Herbs in Joint Aid Plus
Joint Aid Plus is purely a vegetarian and herbal formulation without any chemicals added into it. The ingredients are frequently used in Ayurvedic system of medicine since 5,000 B.C. without any side effects.
Ingredients of Joint Aid Plus
|Sr. No.||Ingredient Name||Botanical Name||Quantity|
|1.||Nirgundi||Vitex negundo||100 mg|
|2.||Shallaki||Boswellia serrata||150 mg|
|3.||Guggul||Commiphora mukul||150 mg|
|4.||Sonth||Zingiber officinale||50 mg|
|5.||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||50 mg|
1. Shallaki (Boswellia serrata): Boswellia serrata is a very popular natural anti-inflammatory herb used by Ayurveda physicians all over the world. It is commonly known in India as 'Salai Guggul'. The resin obtained from the tree is purified and then used for pain and inflammation. It relieves cervical Spondylosis and other arthritis pains naturally without causing any side effects.
2. Guggul (Commiphora mukul): Commiphora mukul is a known anti-inflammatory agent used by Ayurveda physicians worldwide. The analgesic and anti-inflammatory action is almost immediate. Guggul is also used in weight loss formulas and is effective in reducing weight, thus it also helps osteoarthritis patients as well as cervical Spondylosis pains.
3. Sonth (Zingiber officinale): It is commonly known as dry ginger. Dry Ginger is another useful anti-inflammatory herb. It also improves appetite and good for digestive and respiratory system and helps to control vata element. Dry ginger remarkably reduces markers of inflammation in the blood and is a very potent analgesic and is a remarkable herbal treatment for pain of cervical Spondylosis.
4. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha is popularly known as Indian ginseng in the west. It has known anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-stress activities. The plant steroids exert anti-inflammatory action where as another active ingredient of this herb root is Withaferin, Which act as a potent stress buster. It is also a strong muscle relaxant, improves bone density, muscle strength.
Though Joint Aid plus taken in the dosage of 2 capsules twice daily after meals, with plain water. It is sufficient for all types of mild to moderate pain in the neck region or any other part of the body, but in severe cervical Spondylosis we recommend the below mentioned pack where the pain is radiating to the arms or there is tingling sensation (needles and pins sensation) in the fingers. These herbal supplements in the package work in a synergistic manner and tackle the inflammation in a better way. We also recommend to avoid late night sleep and sitting for hours against computers without taking a break. Constipation should also be avoided by using fruit and salads rich diet. The pack gives results within few days even in severe cases of cervical Spondylosis.
Where to Buy Joint Aid plus?
To buy Joint Aid plus, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/joint-aid-plus.html
Home Remedies For Cervical Spondylosis
- Use Cow's ghee in your food. It is a best natural "Vata" reliever and gives nourishment to the nerves and other body parts.
- 1 tablespoonful of Turmeric should be consumed once everyday, after boiling it in milk for half an hour. It is a very useful herbal treatment for cervical Spondylosis.
- Constipation must be avoided at all costs. Constipation may increase pain in Cervical Spondylosis.
- Herbs have divine healing powers and they have the ability to cure any disease from the root. They were gifted to us by God when he created life. So believe in God if you want to get rid of your problems !
- Ayurvedic herbs are unique natural remedies for Cervical Spondylosis. Ayurvedic principles are different in many ways from modern medicine for example - Drinking water from a copper pan after keeping it overnight is also very useful in Rheumatoid arthritis and Cervical Spondylosis.
- Consuming castor oil at night with milk or alone is a very useful herbal remedy for arthritis, especially rheumatoid arthritis and Cervical Spondylosis.
- Improve your nutrition as first step.It plays important role to fight diseases. When nothing works, nutrition works a lot !
- Use herbal juices like Aloe vera juice (Kumari Saar) and Amla Juice (Amla Saar) in routine. Amla is the richest source of natural Vitamin C. Vitamin C improves the natural immunity of the body. 100 gm of Amla juice contains 30 times more vitamin C than 100 gm of oranges.