Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis
Ayurvedic treatment for endometriosis is the safest way to get relief from the symptoms of endometriosis like heavy bleeding and severe pelvic pain etc. The herbal ayurvedic treatment has proven its efficacy in contrast to NSAIDS and hormonal therapy, which are widely used for treating endometriosis.
The internal lining of the Uterus is made up of special cells called endometrial cells. These cells are discarded every month during menstruation. Sometimes these cells attach to the tissue, which is present outside the uterus called endometrial implants and these implants leads to an unbearable condition called endometriosis. These endometrial implants can be found on fallopian tubes, ovaries, cervix, vagina, urinary bladder and rarely in lungs, old scars and liver. These endometrial implants react in response to hormonal changes and leads to bleeding as menses, which prolongs the menstrual flow with heavy clots.
Endometriosis affects most of the women in their reproductive age. The cause of infertility is endometriosis in 25-35 % females. About 30-45% of cases painful menses are because of endometriosis. The endometriosis is characterized by pain in lower abdomen and uncontrolled bleeding which prolongs for a longer time. Endometriosis is rare in postmenopausal females. Studies reveal that endometriosis is common in taller and thin females with a low BMI.
Causes of Endometriosis
The exact cause of endometriosis is unidentified. But some theories suggests possibilities of these underlying cause:-
- Unprogressive menstruation
- Abnormal growth of embryonic cells
- Transportation of endometrial cell through blood or lymphatic
- Loss in immunity
- Endometrial cell implantation while surgery
- History of endometriosis in family
- Toxins in the environment leads an imbalance in hormones
Classical Symptoms of Endometriosis
- Mild to severe pain in pelvic region
- Painful menses
- Irregular menses
- Heavy menstrual periods
- Menstrual blood contains big blood clots
- Spotting before menses
- Pain during sex
- Increase in urinary frequency
- Painful micturition
- Infertility because of scarring of ovaries and fallopian tubes
The hormonal replacement therapy and NSAIDS are mostly used as a treatment for endometriosis by doctors but Ayurvedic approach for the treatment of endometriosis includes balancing doshas to achieve normal menstrual cycle and relax mind.
According to Ayurveda, all the three doshas (vata , pitta and kapha) are involved in endometriosis. Vata is the most common factor responsible for gynecological disorders. The vitiated Vata displaces endometrial cells from their actual location in uterus to outside. Pain in menses due to endometriosis is also a contribution of vata. The changes in hormone levels, blood flow and any inflammation in endometrium points towards vitated pitta. Kapha is responsible overgrowth of endometrial cells.
Endometriosis can be diagnosed by
- Transvaginal ultrasonography
Complications of Endometriosis
- An increased risk for ovarian cancer
Herbal Remedies for Endometriosis
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Endometriosis Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment for endometriosis. This combination contains herbal formulations, which are safe and have no side effects.
- Boswellia Curcumin - 2 twice daily after meals with water.
- Female Health Support - 2 twice daily after meals with water.
- Aloe Vitals - 1 twice daily after meals with water.
- Shatavari Capsules - 2 twice daily after meals with water.
- Pradrantak Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily.
Planet Ayurveda offers combination of Boswellia-Curcumin in capsule form, which is an effective herbal formulation to care any inflammation. It reduces inflammation and relives pain. The effects seen are long lasting and permanent in any inflammation. Curcumin and Boswellia combination increases bioavailability.
- Curcumin is the active constituent of rhizome of Curcuma longa. Curcumin extract is the best herbal remedy for pain. Curcumin reduces inflammation and inhibits growth of cells which cause inflammation. Curcumin is used since ages in Ayurveda to increase immunity and combat any inflammation. Studies also explored its potential to care inflammatory diseases. In the Ayurvedic traditional medicine, turmeric, this is known as "haldi" in Hindi. It works on all three doshas, with its action specific to reduce mucus or kapha. Curcumin is considered as one of the most important herbs in the Ayurvedic medicines. Cancer prevention, anti inflammatory, anti oxidant, hepato-protective properties are some of its activities. Particularly curcumin suppress the mutagens.
- Boswellia serrata is a tree, which belongs to family bruseraceae. In Ayurveda, the tree boswellia is known as "salai guggul". Boswellia is madhur (sweet), katu (pungent), tikta (bitter) in taste. It is guru (heavy), snigdha (oliy) and ushna (hot) in nature. Its potency is hot and after digestion it imparts madhura effects. Boswellia serrata and Curcuma longa are well known for their anti-microbial activity. Boswellia extract is immunomodulatory. It possess anti tumor, anti carcinogenic and anti inflammatory activities. In Ayurvedic medicine, Boswellia serrata Roxb. has been used for hundreds of years for treating pains. Boswellia serrata Roxb. is a promising alternative medicine to NSAIDs (Non steroid anti-inflammatory drug) Boswellia also shows significant anti-inflammatory properties and treats pain without any side-effect. A lot of research proves the effectiveness of Boswellia and Curcumin individually and together in inflammatory conditions. They regulate vascular responses to inflammation and stabilize mast cells. The combination is effective in all kind of cancers as Boswellic acids and curcuminoids reduces edema and reduces topoisomerases.
2. Female Health Support
This product is formulated keeping in view the principles of Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda the balance of Vata, Pitta and Kapha disease free state whereas their imbalance causes diseases. The herbs in this herbal formulation acts in a synergistic manner to alleviate vitiated Vata and Pitta. According to Ayurvedic principles, vitiated Vata is the root cause of any gynecological disorders like irregular painful menstruation. Excess Pitta leads to heavy menstrual flow, hot flushes and mental irritation. The capsule contains standardized extracts of ashoka, lodhra and shatavari.
- Ashoka or Asoka is a Sanskrit word which literally means "without sorrow". Saraca indica or Saraca asoca is tree whose bark is used especially to regulate female menstrual cycles. It helps in relieving pre menstrual tension, irregular menses and pain in pelvic region due to menses etc. mentioned in Indian mythology, it is believed that even the shadow and fragrance of it regulates female hormones. Due to its madhura, tikta and katu rasa it pacifies inflammation and regularizes the lining of uterus. It contains saponins, flavonoids, glycosides which act as uterotonic, anti-tumour, oxytocic and anti-implantation. In India, dried bark of S. asoca is used as a tonic for females in the case of all disorder associated with the menstrual cycle and uterus. The dried bark is an effective astringent, which is beneficial in curing menorrhagia, excessive uterine bleeding. The bark is also works as a wonderful cooling agent and demulcent, which acts on congested uterus, inflamed lymph nodes, painful periods, heavy clots, ammenorhea and endometriosis. It alleviates burning sensation.
- Lodhra is big tree. In sanskrit, the word Lodhra in means "which makes body firmer". Due to its strong grahi property (absorption enhancing property), lodhra stops haemorrhage and heaviness due to excessive fluid, as a result makes the body firm. According to Ayurveda, excess pitta leads to heavy bleeding. It's cooling (sheeta) and light (laghu) pacifies pitta and reduces inflammation. Its bark is listed amongst best astringent herb and is used in excessive vaginal discharge (leucorrhoea), heavy menstruation. It is beneficial in all gynae problems.
- Shatavari in which ,"shata" literally means 100 and "vari" means "times". It is mentioned in ayurvedic classical texts that the females who consume shatavari regularly are capable to give birth to hundred children. Shatavari is a wonderful Rasayana (rejuvenator), which promotes physical and mental health in females, as well as provides defensive mechanism against premature aging. Its root contains Isoflavones, Asparagamine, Polysaccharides, mucilage and rich in vitamins A, B1 , B2 , C, E, Phosphorus, Calcium, Iron and folic acid. Recent research proves its effectiveness in low sex drive, premenstrual syndrome and infertility as it is a rich source of phytoestrogen. Besides all these shatavari is Cardio protective, anti-diarrhoeal, antistress, antiulcer in action. A new antioxidant compound 'Racemofuran' is identified recently in Asparagus. Shatvati has a potential to regularize female hormones and gives strength to female reproductive system.
3. Aloe Vitals
Planet Ayurveda offers Aloe vera in capsulated form as Capsule Aloe Vitals, which are easy to take and equally effective as its raw pulp. Aloe vera is widely known as an antioxidant. Aloe Vitals capsules helps to clear the toxin digestive system. The constituents like salicylic acid, lupeol, cinnamic acid enables Aloe Vera to fight against micro-organisms. It enhances the functioning of liver, kidneys, and gall bladder. The capsule Aloe Vitals normalizes the pH in the digestive tract. Aloe is an effective detoxifier, tonic and antiseptic. It boosts immune system. Aloe Vera is a rich source of vitamins like A, B-complex vitamins, C, E and folic acid. Aloe Vera possess anti tumor activity. Its cooling properties reduce inflammation and its bitter taste makes it capable of rejuvenating endometrial lining. It soothes the layers of skin.
4. Shatavari Capsules
Asparagus racemosus or shatavari literally means '100 times' in Sanskrit. Shatavari increase fertility and vitality of females due to its madhur (sweet) rasa and madhur (sweet) vipaka, pacifies vata and pitta dosha. It is used widely in Ayurveda for its rejuvenating property. The woman who consumes Asparagus regularly is able to give birth to 100 kids. The 'Shatavari Capsules' by Planet Ayurveda are prepared from standardized extract of best quality shatavari. It regulates hormonal imbalance in females. Its phytoestrogen enables it to regularize hormones and reduces risk of endometriosis. In menopause and endometriosis hormonal therapy is in trend these days. Capsule shatavari is an effective natural herbal alternate to artificial hormones. Shatavari enables a female to maintain her fertility.
5. Pradrantak Churna
Pradrantak Churna is a combination of herbs, which is offered by Planet Ayurveda. This is made from the herbs, which are known for their effectiveness in enhancing female health. This herbal formulation is modified version of classical ayurvedic formula 'Pushyanug Churna', which is documented in 'Bhaisajyaratnavali' (a classical text of ayurvedic medicine) in the chapter strirogadhikara (diseases related to females). Pradrantak Churna contains Pushyanug Churna and powder of Saraca indica bark. Viatation of Vata dosha leads to most of the gynecological problems according to Ayurveda. Pradrantak Churna pacifies Vata and also effective in balancing Pitta and Kapha. It is beneficial in Dysmenorrhoea, Painful menstruation, Irregular menses, Leucorrhoea, Ovarian cysts and Uterine fibroids.
The herb Ashoka (Saraca indica / Saraca asoca) balances disturbed female hormones in a natural way. The word Ashoka in Hindi means "without sorrow", as it bark have constituents which keeps a woman youthful and healthy. In India, Ashoka bark is used extensively to treat excessive uterine bleeding.
Ashoka relives symptoms of dysmenorrhoea and depression in females. It is also beneficial in diseases related to female genitourinary system such as menorrhagia (scanty menstrual bleeding), dysmenorrhea (painful menses), leucorrhoea, depression, heavy bleeding, uterine fibroids and considered as a uterine tonic. Glycosides, flavanoids, saponins and tannins are present in the bark of Saraca asoca, which are effective uterotonic, antibacterial, anti- tumor, anti–esterogenic and anti cancer.
Pushyanug Churna is astringent, diuretic in nature and a wonderful tonic for females as it contains various herbs like Cyperus rotundus, Cyclea peltata, Cissampelos pareira, Aegle marmelos, Berberis aristata, Syzygium cumini, Mimosa pudica, Symplocos racemosa, Crocus sativus, Magnifera indica, Eugenia jambolana, Saxifera ligulata, Salmalia malabarica, Hibiscus sabdariffa, Oroxylum indicum, Hemidesmus indicus, Terminalia Arjuna, Glycyrrhiza glabra, Woodfordia fruticosa etc. Pradrantak Churna is an excellent herbal remedy for Leucorrhea. The astringent property of Pradrantak Churna enables it to combat any kind of inflammation and helps to reform endometrium in uterus.
Indications of Pradrantak Churna
- Menstrual disorder
- Ovarian Cysts
- Uterine Fibroids
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Irregular Menses
- Menopausal Syndrome
Where to buy Endometriosis Care Pack?
To buy Endometriosis Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/endometriosis-care-pack.html.