HERBAL REMEDIES FOR PAINFUL MENSES (DYSMENORRHEA)
About Painful Menses (Dysmenorrhea)
Dysmenorrhea is a medical term for painful menstruation or menses or periods. Pain during menses is the most disturbing. It may be due to cramps and congestion of the uterus or ovaries. Usually, it occurs just before and during menses. It mostly gets cured after marriage or sexual activity or pregnancy. The monthly reminder representing the presence and function of the uterus (indicated as menstruation) usually get started by the age of 12. From that time, perfection of rhythm or regularization of menses is slowly attained before the age of 16-18. It start-up and regularization varies with racial, nutritional, environmental, emotional and physical activities. Herbal remedies for painful menses are very effective. They are 100% pure and free from side effects.
Dysmenorrhea can also be classified as:
- Congestive Dysmenorrhea - Due to congestion of pelvis, premenstrual syndrome & pelvic diseases etc.
- Spasmodic Dysmenorrhea - Occurs mostly during periods due to narrowing of cervix with stricture or hormonal problem. Clots in menses also cause this type of pain.
- Membranous Dysmenorrhea - Extreme case of dysmenorrhoea where patient can see the disintegrated membranes of uterus in bleeding which may be due to chronic inflammation. Immediate medical attention is needed in this case.
- Psychogenic Dysmenorrhea - Usually occurs after an unpleasant sexual activity, painful condition or fear of sex with lack of sexual knowledge. This type of pain is mostly neurological.
Symptoms of Dysmenorrhea
- Nausea, vomiting and fainting
- Frequent urination
- Altered bowel habits like diarrhoea or constipation
- Heart palpitation and sweating can also occur due to anxiety and hormonal changes.
- Heavy bleeding periods
- Premenstrual symptoms like heaviness, fullness and painfulness of breasts or/and abdomen may occur before and during the periods
Natural Remedies for Painful Menses
- Aloe-Vera is Ayurvedic natural remedy for painful menses and very effective in treating all kinds of menstrual problems.
- Asafetida (Hing) is another natural remedy for painful menses. Fry Asafetida in a little ghee and take this paste thrice daily.
- You could boil a few pods of garlic in a cup of water and take this water three times a day.
- Take 8-10 leaves of Neem and grind it into a fine paste with ginger juice and have this during your period. This can provide some relief.
- Half teaspoonful of bruised or crushed sesame seeds with hot water twice a day is also quite effective.
- Follow a diet rich in complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables but low in salt, sugar, alcohol and caffeine.
- Do light circular massage with your fingertips around your lower belly area.
- You should have low fat, high fiber and vegetarian foods in your diet as a basic natural remedy for painful menses.
- Make sure you are drinking at least 1.5 to 2 liters of purified water per day.
- Exercise regularly. It is a form of detoxification in itself, when you exercise you increase circulation and oxygenation to the cells.
- Taking a warm bath can also lessen heavy menstrual flow and the warm water will alleviate lower abdomen pain and relax the muscles.
- Try vitamin B6, calcium and magnesium supplements, especially if your pain is from PMS.
- Apply a heating pad to your lower belly area, below your belly button. Never fall asleep with the heating pad on.
- You can also drink a tea prepared from the herb Chamomile. This herb is very helpful and effective in reducing the problem of menstrual cramps.
- Tea prepared from the root of ginger is very effective in reducing the problem of menstrual cramps. It is very effective natural remedy for painful menses.
- Eat foods that are high in antioxidants including fruits such as blueberries, cherries, tomatoes, and vegetables such as squash and bell pepper.
- Eat foods that are rich in calcium. They include beans, almonds and dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale. It is best natural remedy for painful menses.
- Eliminate trans-fatty acids found in commercially baked goods such as cookies, crackers, cakes, onion rings, donuts, processed foods and margarine etc.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and tobacco.
- Avoid refined food items such as white breads, pastas, and sugar. Use healthy cooking oils such as olive oil or vegetable oil.
Herbal Remedies for Painful Menses by Planet Ayurveda
As per Ayurveda Dysmenorrhea is known as "Kashta-artava". Mainly vata dosha is disturbed in dysmenorrhea condition. Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Chanderprabha Vati, Female Health Support, Pradrantak Churna and Shatavari powder for Ayurvedic treatment of painful menses (dysmenorrhoea, menstruation cramps & painful periods). These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives.
Chanderprabha Vati is an ancient herbal remedy that are beneficial in dysmenorrhea. Chanderprabha vati is effective in urinary complaints. It is also used in other urinary tract infections, genital organ problems, emotion related stressful conditions, diabetes and its complications like diabetic neuropathy. Chanderprabha Vati comes in beautiful silver coated tablets that are natural supplement and used for the treatment of painful menses.
Dose:- 1- 2 tablets twice daily after meals with plain water.
Female Health Support Capsules special herbal medicine used for the treatment of painful menses, irregular menses, PMS, Menopausal syndromes and other gynecological issues. This product has its roots in ancient Ayurveda herbal health care system of India.
Female health support is 100% pure without any chemicals added into it. According to Ayurveda vitiated Vata causes irregular painful menstruation. It disturbs Pitta - The thermal energy as excess Pitta causes heavy bleeding, hot flushes and irritability.
Dose:- 1-2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
Pradrantak Churna is not only beneficial in ovarian cysts but also useful for the treatment of painful menses, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, premenstrual syndrome, uterine fibroids & irregular menses. This herbal product is a pure, natural remedy for ovarian cysts and other common female problems. The herbs used in Pradrantak Churna are authentic preparations derived from classical Ayurveda texts. For irregular menses, Pradrantak Churna gives amazing results. This should be consumed for 1 month just after the end of the menstrual cycle i.e. just when the bleeding stops. This not only regulates the menstrual cycle but also helps in treating ovarian cysts.
Dose:- 1 tablespoon twice daily with plain water after meals.
Shatavari helps to relieve pain and control blood loss during menstruation. This powder supports the production of breast milk for lactating mothers. This herb supports the female reproductive system. It is also useful in Pre-menstrual symptoms thus gives relief in pain and also controls excessive blood loss during menstruation. Shatavari powder is useful for the treatment of painful menses.
It supports reproductive health as it tones and nourishes the female reproductive organs.
Dose:- 1-2 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water or milk.