Herbal Remedies for Heart Care and to Lower Down Cholesterol
Incidence of heart ailments like coronary artery disease and others like congestive heart failure have increased many folds in modern times. A heart attack has become so common that people are getting it even in their mid thirties. The most common symptoms of heart ailments include irregular pulse, palpitations, chest heaviness, chest pain after some walking. The risk factors for heart ailments include sedentary life style, disturbed cholesterol metabolism, smoking, lack of sleep. There are many effective herbal remedies for heart care like Arjuna bark, hawthorn berry, cinnamon and many other Ayurvedic herbs for high cholesterol which offer a very effective alternative to lower down cholesterol naturally and are very inexpensive as well.
Heart is a vital organ and needs a lot of care. We ignore the heart health generally by not following the right diet and life style as is recommended. They best way to keep the heart healthy is to lead a very natural lifestyle. Heart is an organ that pumps blood in the body by which every organ of the body gets its nourishment. It is a vital organ of the body and any minor disturbance in the heart may lead to the various complications or even death. Some organs like brain if is unable to get blood for even 5 minutes can cause brain death which eventually leads to death. Hence heart is very much required to fulfil various bodily needs. Males are more prone to heart related problems as compared to females.
These are the various ailments which are getting common now a days. It is very important now to learn various natural methods of heart care and lower down cholesterol naturally. The various herbal remedies in heart rejuvenation pack give excellent support to the circulatory system and provide strength to the heart muscles and improve circulation, help in controlling blood pressure and cholesterol.
Here are various ailments in which heart care remedies are really useful:-
- Coronary heart disease : It refers to the blocking of the vessels that supply blood to the heart because of the clots that obstruct the normal flow of blood. That eventually leads to heart attack.
- Arteriosclerosis : It in normal terms means thickness of the arterial walls due to accumulation of plaques. This accumulations leads to the narrowing of the arteries and loss of elasticity and thus beholds the supply of blood from being supplied t the heart.
- Cardiomyopathy: Myo means muscles. Hence this term relates to muscles of the heart. Cardiomyopathy means weakening of heart muscles.
- Angina pectoris : It is a broad term which is related to the pain in the chest region. The reason is constriction of coronary arteries restricting the blood supply to heart.
Causes of heart problems
Following are the cause that cause heart ailments:
- Hypertension - Blood pressure is one of the leading cause of heart problems.
- Deficiency of vitamin B
- Over weight or obesity also leads to heart problems.
- Blood clot formation which is also known as thrombosis
- Hardening of blood vessels- Due to Ageing, Stress, Smoking, Pollution
- Leading sedentary life style
Home Remedies for Heart Care and Lower Down cholesterol
- Consuming amla daily is the best remedy to avoid heart problems. Check our Amla Saar.
- Herbal tea of Arjuna called Arjun tea is traditionally used in Indian subcontinent to lower down cholesterol naturally without any side effects.
- Lemon consumption helps in dissolving the plaques that are formed in the arteries.
- Juice of beet is an effective remedy for treating heard related disorders.
- Arjun and Amla Juice is excellent herbal supplement for heart care
- Consuming two pieces of garlic everyday in boiled milk is good for total heart care.
- Intake of parsley tea helps in preventing heart troubles
- Grapes juice is highly recommend as it tones up the heart muscles and helps in resolving heart problems.
- Apple is an excellent heart stimulant and it tones up the heart muscles.
- Consuming a good amount of vitamin E in the diet also helps in preventing heart troubles.
- Brisk walk every day and every day exercise helps in reducing risk of heart troubles.
- Don't smoke as it weaken the arterial a walls, thus leads to heart attack.
- Salt intake should be checked.
- A good nutritious diet including consuming green vegetables helps in reducing risks to the heart.
- Consuming excess alcohol has very bad effects on the heart.
- Always keep a check on the disease like diabetes and hypertension as these two are the major culprits in causing heart related troubles.
Herbal Supplements for Heart Care & Control Cholesterol levels
The following herbal supplements are a combination of heart care herbal remedies. All these products can be used together or separately. They act in a synergestic manner if used together. So all of them can be used together in prevention of heart attack or as nutritional supplements for heart after heart attack.
1. Arjun Tea : To cleanse the arteries, lower down blood pressure, lower down cholesterol naturally, increase the pumping capacity of heart, congestive heart failure. It is a complete natural heart care solution.
2. Total Heart Support : Total Heart Support is a herbal supplement for complete heart care. It is useful in hyperlipidemia, High cholesterol, high triglycerides, blocked coronary arteries, congestive heart failure, cardiomyopathies,
3. Arjuna Capsules : Arjuna Capsules are also a effective herbal supplement for complete heart care.
- Total Heart Support – 2 Capsules, twice daily with plain water.
- Arjun Tea – 2 Cups, twice daily.
- Arjuna Capsules – 2 Capsules, twice daily with plain water.
Where to buy Heart Care Pack?
To buy Heart Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/heart-care-pack.html.
1. Arjun Tea - Natural Co-Q 10 for your heart
Arjun Tea is the combination of purely herbal ingredients described in ancient Ayurvedic texts as the most effective herbal remedy to lower down cholesterol naturally and herbal heart care remedy. It is the safest choice to the problems like hypertension, high cholesterol, fatigue, blocked coronary arteries. Arjun Tea is made keeping in mind pure Ayurvedic ways of healing. The product comprises of safe herbs that are used in Ayurveda since times immemorial. Ayurveda-The ancient Indian healing system has been into practice in India for more than 5000 years. Utilising herbs, minerals, proper nutrition, purification and above all, affirmative ways of living.
The concept of Arjun Tea is based on preparation described in Ayurvedic texts as “Ksheer Pak” i.e. boiling the herbs in milk and water to get both water soluble and fat soluble liquid extracts from the herbs to get maximum benefits.
Benefits of Arjun Tea
- Provides nutrition to heart as it is rich in natural Co-enzyme Q 10 (1 cup contains approx. 25-30 mg Co-Q 10)
- Maintains cholesterol levels, Controls Blood Pressure
- Improves pumping capacity of the heart
- Rich in natural Anti-oxidants
- Gives strength to heart muscles and strengthens vascular system
- It tones up and strengthens heart muscle and arterial system
- It is a Nicotine/Caffeine free herbal tea to take care of above mentioned problems and that too without any side effects.
- Delicious and exotic taste makes it easy to consume.
- All these benefits without any side effects
- The product contains no preservatives and contains only herbs
2. Total Heart Support - Herbal Heart Care Remedies
This product has its roots in Ayurveda-ancient herbal healthcare system of India. According to Ayurveda the balance of 3 energies- Vata, Pitta and Kapha (Kinetic, Thermal and Potential energy) in the body is a disease free state whereas their imbalance causes diseases. The herbs in this product act synergistically to control “Vata” and “Pitta”. According to Ayurveda “Vata” and “Pitta” are considered responsible for blood pressure, stress, anxiety and heart problems.
Herbs in Total Heart Support
Total Heart Support is purely a herbal product without any chemicals added into it. The ingredients are frequently used in Ayurvedic system of medicine since 5,000 B.C. without any side effects.
Ingredients in Total Heart Support
|S. No.||Herb Used||Latin Name||Quantity|
|1.||Arjuna||Terminalia arjuna||200 mg|
|2||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||100 mg|
|3.||Brahmi||Bacopa monnieri||100 mg|
|4.||Shankhpushpi||Convolvulus pluricaulis||100 mg|
1. Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna): The bark of this tree is used in Ayurveda for prevention and treatment of many heart problems like angina, coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol and blood pressure. Extensive research has lead to discovery of cardiac glycosides in the bark and naturally occurring Co-Enzyme Q 10, which is really important nutraceutical for proper functioning of heart muscle. It gives strength to ailing heart and controls the cholesterol levels. Termainlia arjuna is thus one of the most effective herbal heart care remedies.
2. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha is also commonly known as ‘Indian ginseng'. It is a unique herb with multiple functions. It contains active components like ‘Withanolides' and ‘Withaferin' which are very beneficial for nervous system. The herb also possesses anti-inflammatory, antitumor, antistress, antioxidant, immunomodulatory, hemopoietic, and rejuvenating properties. It is especially useful in diabetics and blood pressure people as it also controls diabetes and blood pressure. It relieves stress, anxiety and enhances physical and mental performance naturally. Stress leads to hypertension and heart problems. Therefore Ashwagandha is a natural herbal heart care remedy that controls blood pressure, anxiety and stress to indirectly benefit in heart problems. This herb is useful in many illnesses like blood pressure and hysteria. It controls epilepsy, mental disorders. It relieves stress and anxiety. It is also soothing and cooling to the heart and it act as an effective natural heart care herbal remedy.
3. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): The herb ‘Brahmi' is used in Ayurveda since ages for loss in memory, lack of concentration, forgetfulness. It increases the retention power as well as recollection. It is very useful in many mental illnesses also. Regular use also helps in stress, anxiety, blood pressure, hallucinations and epilepsy. Regular use of this herb improves mental ability and cognition.
4. Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis): This beautiful white flowered plant really enhances the mind ability to recollect and remember the things in a very effective manner. It relieves mental stress, controls blood pressure and also improves mind's ability. People in India are using this herb for centuries for their children to improve their memory especially during exams.
3. Arjun Saar - Herbal Juice for heart care and to Lower Down Cholesterol
Arjun Saar is the combination of best herbs described in ancient Ayurvedic texts as the most effective treatment for blood pressure and heart problems. It is a juice containing Terminalia arjuna and Amla. Arjun Saar is the safest choice to the problems like hypertension, high cholesterol, fatigue, blocked coronary arteries. It tones up and strengthens heart muscle and arterial system . It is a best combination to take care of above mentioned problems and that too without any side effects. Addition of each herb in Arjun Saar has a specific purpose and the one who uses it regularly can definitely realise its benefits.
Benefits of Arjun Saar
- Maintains cholesterol levels.
- Conntrols blood pressure.
- Improves pumping capacity of the heart.
- Rich in natural Anti-oxidants, Flavonoids, vitamins and minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper and many others.
- Gives strength to heart muscles and strengthens vascular system.
Arjun Saar also contains Pure Amla Juice ( Indian Gooseberry Juice)
Medicinal Properties of Amla:
Amla reduces unwanted fat because it increases total protein levels; this is due to its ability to create a positive nitrogen balance and it also significantly reduces the levels of free fatty acids. In addition, Amla, in a raw or natural form lowers down cholesterol naturally and cholesterol induced atherosclerosis (Obstruction of the arteries), making it a useful natural product to fight obesity and heart related ailments. One study shows that it prevented atheroma (degeneration of the artery walls due to fat and scar tissue). Furthermore, Amla has a strong natural anti-oxidant effect because it is one of the richest sources of natural vitamin C on earth. This makes Amla juice nature's best natural anti-oxidant and anti-ageing herbal remedy.
Amla is perhaps the single most often mentioned herb in “Charak Samhita”and ancient Ayurvedic text. The fruit is has the highest content of vitamin C of any natural occurring substances in nature. Amla is most useful treatment of ulcers and hyperacidity. Vitamin C in Amla builds immune system to fight against all kind of viruses like that of Hepatitis, AIDS, Influenza and many others.
Uses of Heart Care Pack
- This makes perfect combination of best heart care remedies.
- Reduces the effects of stress and nervousness on the heart
- Possesses diuretic and a general tonic effect in cases of liver cirrhosis
- Has prostaglandin enhancing and coronary risk modulating properties
- Enhances the elimination of cholesterol by accelerating the turnover of LDL-cholesterol in the liver
- Lowers beta-lipoprotein lipids and the recovery of HDL components in hyperlipidemia
- Promotes effective cardiac functioning by regulating blood pressure and lower cholesterol naturally
- Relieves hypertension
A heart rejuvenation pack is useful to support healthy heart functions. It is not recommended to stop your heart medications without any medical advice.
Consuming these herbal remedies for heart care does not cause any side effects or interaction with heart medications like statins (Cholesterol lowering drugs- like lipitor, atorvastatin and others) blood thinners (aspirin or warfarin), Diuretics (lasix, Dytor and others) Digoxin (lanoxin and others), Coronary Dilators (Angised and other nitrates)
These herbal remedies can be taken with all the heart medications and slowly the cardiologists will automatically reduce the dosages as he sees the results and improvement in the test reports.
I am really impressed by the information you have put on your website. Keep posting authentic literature like this. -- Dr. Iva Keprosky, Bulgaria
I thank you for your timely delivery of the products which I ordered for my husband. Thanks for all your help ! - Dogma-Tibet
I tried your Arjun tea and the taste is delicious. I plan to continue this tea forever- George- California
I really liked the information you have given at your website. It helped me a lot in learning a lot about cholesterol and heart problems. I am a medical student in Tehran and I recommend your products to some of my acquaintances- Tariq keshwarzi- Tehran- Iran
I ordered kaishore guggul tablets and arthritis support for my mother's arthritis from your site and they worked wonder. I just placed an order for " heart rejuvenation Pack" and I believe you will keep your service as it was last time- Suzanne-Ohio,USA
I used your Arjun tea regularly for 1 month and it did a miracle to my cholesterol. It fell down like it was never before ! - Thank you so much !- Regupathy- Sri Lanka
Research on Terminalia Arjuna
JAIPUR, India--Researchers here compared the effects of Terminalia Arjuna tree bark with the heart-health benefits of vitamin E in a study published in February's The Journal of the Association of Physicians of India (49:231-5, 2001). In the one-month study, researchers reviewed 105 patients with coronary heart disease, none of whom were on lipid-lowering drugs. At baseline, total cholesterol, triglycerides, lipid peroxidation and HDL and LDL cholesterol were measured. Divided into three groups, group one received a placebo, group two received 400 IU of vitamin E per day and group three received 500 mg of finely pulverized bark powder. No significant changes were found in the placebo or vitamin E groups for total, HDL and LDL cholesterol levels, nor in triglyceride levels. However, in the tree bark group, total and LDL cholesterol were significantly lowered. Notably, lipid peroxidation decreased most significantly in the vitamin E users. The researchers, based at the Monilek Hospital and Research Center here, concluded that Terminalia Arjuna tree bark powder proved to have a significant cholesterol lowering effect.
Terminalia arjuna reverses impaired endothelial function in chronic smokers, Alternative Medicine Review, Dec, 2004 by A. Bharani, L.K. Ahirwar, N. Jain
Bharani A, Ahirwar LK, Jain N. Indian Heart J 2004;56:123-128.
BACKGROUND: Smoking, largely through increased oxidative stress, causes endothelial dysfunction which is an early key event in atherosclerosis. Smoking cessation and antioxidant vitamin therapy are shown to have beneficial role by restoring altered endothelial physiology. The present study was aimed to determine whether Terminalia arjuna, an Indian medicinal plant with potent antioxidant constituents, would improve endothelial dysfunction in smokers.
METHODS AND RESULTS: Eighteen healthy male smokers (age 28.16+/-9.45 years) and equal number of age-matched non-smoker controls participated in the study. The baseline brachial artery reactivity studies were performed using high frequency ultrasound according to standard protocol under identical conditions to determine endothelium-dependent, flow-mediated dilation and endothelium-independent nitroglycerine-mediated dilation. The two groups were matched regarding age, body mass index, blood pressure, serum cholesterol, mean resting vessel diameters and post-occlusion flow velocities (all p = NS). While flow-mediated dilation was significantly impaired amongst smokers compared to controls (4.71+/-2.22 v. 11.75+/-5.94%, p <0.005), the nitroglycerine-mediated dilation was similar in the two groups (20.35+/-3.89 v. 19.68+/-3.74%, p = NS). Subsequently the smokers were given Terminalia arjuna (500 mg q8h) or matching placebo randomly in a double blind cross-over design for two weeks each, followed by repetition of brachial artery reactivity studies to determine various parameters including flow-mediated dilation after each period. There was no significant difference as regards vessel diameter and flow velocities between the two therapies. However, the flow-mediated dilation showed significant improvement from baseline values after Terrminalia arjuna therapy but not with placebo (9.31+/-3.74 v. 5.17+/-2.42%. p <0.005).
CONCLUSIONS: Smokers have impaired endothelium-dependent but normal endothelium-independent vasodilation as determined by brachial artery reactivity studies. Further, Terrminalia arjuna therapy for two weeks leads to significant regression of this endothelial abnormality amongst smokers.
More Research on Terminaia Arjuna
On the ethnomedical significance of the Arjun tree, Terminalia arjuna (Roxb.) Kumar DS, Prabhakar YS.
Terminalia arjuna is an important cardiotonic plant described in the Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medical science. It is also believed to have the ability to care hepatic, urogenital, venereal and viral diseases. An attempt is made here to analyse the available drug recipes using this plant from Sanskrit literature in the light of modern scientific knowledge. The chemistry and pharmacology of T. arjuna are also discussed, and areas of future investigations are identified.
Antianginal and cardioprotective effects of Terminalia arjuna, an indigenous drug, in coronary artery disease. Dwivedi S, Agarwal MP.
The effect of bark powder of Terminalia arjuna, an indigenous drug, on anginal frequency, blood pressure, body mass index, blood sugar, cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol was studied in 15 stable (Group A) and 5 unstable (Group B) angina patients before and 3 months after T. arjuna therapy. Tread mill test (TMT) and echocardiographic left ventricular ejection fraction was evaluated in some cases. There was 50% reduction in anginal episodes in Group A cases (P < 0.01). TMT performance improved from moderate to mild changes in 5 patients and one with mild changes became negative for ischemia. The time to the onset of angina and appearance of ST-T changes on TMT after T. arjuna was delayed significantly. However, in patients with unstable angina there was an insignificant reduction in anginal frequency. These patients also needed diltiazem, B-blockers and nitroglycerine in addition to T. arjuna. The drug lowered systolic blood pressure and body mass index to a significant level (p < 0.05) and increased HDL-cholesterol only slightly along with marginal improvement in left ventricular ejection fraction in stable angina patients. There were no deleterious effects on liver or kidney functions. Our results suggest that monotherapy with T. arjuna is fairly effective in patients with symptoms of stable angina pectoris. However, it has a limited role in unstable angina.
Biochemical contents, their variation and changes in free amino acids during seed germination in Terminalia arjuna. Srivastava N, Prakash D, Behl HM.
The leaves, twigs, stem and bark of Terminalia arjuna were analysed for their protein, phenol, tannin, nitrate, oxalate in addition to vitamin C, anthocyanin and chlorophyll in the leaves. The variation of some of these parameters in the leaves with season and leaf position was also studied. The time course changes in amino acids and protein during seed germination in T. arjuna, showed initial decrease in protein followed by increase at subsequent stages. The seeds contain high level of serine (21.7%) and glutamic acid (22.6%) the later decreased as the germination progressed. After 30 days seeds showed higher amounts of serine (26.0%), valine (2.8%), proline (10.6%), methionine (3.4%), histidine (5.6%) and lysine (7.4%) while threonine, glutamic acid, tyrosine and arginine were in lower amounts than that of initial stage at 0 day.
Arjuna (TA) can help lower Cholesterol as much as 64% - After only 30 days, people taking TA saw their LDL levels plummet by an average of 25.6%. After 60 days, in animal studies lab subjects with extremely high blood fats, LDL levels dropped from 493 to 162. That's a whopping 64 percent drop. Plus, HDL cholesterol (the good stuff) actually increased.
Reduces angina episodes much better than nitroglycerin - More than 6.2 million Americans suffer from angina right now and most are probably taking nitroglycerin pills for it. But over time nitroglycerin can become less effective. Big problem. So researchers decided to test the herb Arjuna against nitroglycerin. It worked better in every study. In one study, angina episodes were cut in half by the Arjuna, with none of the nasty side effects. Plus, TA can be used as long as you like, without fear it'll stop working.
It's been shown to help reverse hardening of the arteries - Here's the most shocking fact of all: Although most Western doctors still haven't heard of it, Arjuna has been used by herbal healers in India to treat heart trouble for an incredible 2,700 years. Nearly three millennia!
Efficacy of Terminalia arjuna in chronic stable angina: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study comparing Terminalia arjuna with isosorbide mononitrate - Abstract Alternative Medicine Review, August, 2002 by A Bharani, A Ganguli, LK Mathur, Bharani A, Ganguli A, Mathur LK, et al. Indian Heart J 2002;54:170-175.
BACKGROUND: Terminalia arjuna, an Indian medicinal plant, has been reported to have beneficial effects in patients with ischemic heart disease in a number of small, open studies. The need for a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study with adequate sample size has long been felt. The bark extract (IPC-53) contains acids (arjunic acid, terminic acid), glycosides (arjunetin arjunosides I-IV), strong antioxidants (flavones, tannins, oligomeric proanthocyanidins), minerals, etc. and exhibits antifailure and anti-ischemic properties.
METHODS AND RESULTS: Fifty-eight males with chronic stable angina (NYHA class II-III) with evidence of provocable ischemia on treadmill exercise test received Terminalia arjuna (500 mg 8 hourly), isosorbide mononitrate (40 mg/daily) or a matching placebo for one week each, separated by a wash-out period of at least three days in a randomized, double-blind, crossover design. They underwent clinical, biochemical and treadmill exercise evaluation at the end of each therapy which were compared during the three therapy periods. Terminalia arjuna therapy was associated with significant decrease in the frequency of angina and need for isosorbide dinitrate (5.69+/6.91 mg/week v. 18.22+/-9.29 mg/week during placebo therapy, p<0.005). The treadmill exercise test parameters improved significantly during therapy with Terminalia arjuna compared to those with placebo. The total duration of exercise increased (6.14+/-2.51 min v. 4.76+/-2.38 min, p<0.005), maximal ST depression during the longest equivalent stages of submaximal exercise decreased (1.41+/-0.55 mm v. 2.21+/-0.56 mm, p<0.005), time to recovery decreased (6.49+/-2.37 rain v. 9.27+/3.39 min, p<0.005) and higher double products were achieved (25.75+/-4.8 1x10(3) v. 23.11+/-4.83x10(3), p<0.005) during Terminalia arjuna therapy. Similar improvements in clinical and treadmill exercise test parameters were observed with isosorbide mononitrate compared to placebo therapy. No significant differences were observed in clinical or treadmill exercise test parameters when Terminalia arjuna and isosorbide mononitrate therapies were compared. No significant untoward effects were reported during Terminalia arjuna therapy.
CONCLUSIONS: Terminalia arjuna bark extract, 500 mg 8 hourly, given to patients with stable angina with provocable ischemia on treadmill exercise, led to improvement in clinical and treadmill exercise parameters as compared to placebo therapy. These benefits were similar to those observed with isosorbide mononitrate (40 mg/day) therapy and the extract was well tolerated. Limitations of this study include applicability of the results to only men with chronic stable angina but not necessarily to women, as they were not studied.
Role of Terminalia arjuna in ischaemic mitral regurgitation, Alternative Medicine Review, June, 2005 by S. Dwivedi, A. Aggarwal M.R. Agarwal, S. Rajpal
Dwivedi S, Aggarwal A, Agarwal MR Rajpal S. Int J Cardiol 2005;100:507-508.
The bark powder of Terminalia arjuna , an indigenous plant has been found to have antianginal, decongestive and hypolipidemic effect. We planned a study to evaluate the role of T. arjuna in ischemic mitral regurgitation (IMR) following acute myocardial infarction (AMI). 40 patients with fresh AMI showing IMR were randomly divided into 2 groups of 20 each. They were given placebo or 500 mg of T. arjuna in addition to anti-ischemic treatment. After 1 and 3 months of follow up, patients receiving adjuvant T. arjuna showed significant decrease in IMR, improvement in E/A ratio and considerable reduction in anginal frequency.