EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES FOR SCIATICA
Sciatica is a nerve pain which occurs because of the irritation of the sciatic nerve. It is a large nerve that passes from the back lower down to both the legs. The pain occurs when something presses upon the nerve or there is increased pressure on the sciatic nerve.
It is the largest vein in the body and the pain can be felt radiating down from the back to buttocks to both the legs. There may be many reasons which can precipitate an attack of sciatica.
The sciatic nerve originates from the third lumbar segment of the spine.
SYMPTOMS OF SCIATICA
The pain may be severe radiating down to the legs. The patient may also experience burning or tingling down to the legs.
The legs may also feel numb and they may also experience difficulty moving the legs or foot.
The pain may be shooting in character making it difficult to stand up.
In many cases bladder, bowel control may be lost due to pressure on particular areas of the spinal nerves which control the bladder and bowel respect.
COMMON CAUSES OF SCIATICA
Sciatica is mainly caused by the irritation of the lumbosacral region of the spine. Other causes that may lead to this condition are:-
- Narrowing of the spinal canal in the region of the lower back
- The intervertebral spaces in the spine are separated by specialized lubricating discs which provide cushion to the vertebrae and prevent friction between them when they move together. Due to wear and tear these discs breakdown and friction between them increases putting pressure on the sciatic nerve. Degenerative diseases affecting the disc structure are also responsible for this condition.
- It occurs when one vertebrae slips over the other.
- Pregnancy is another condition where there is increased pressure on the lower part of the body especially the Sciatic nerve which results in Sciatica.
There are other factors also which may worsen back pain and precipitate sciatic nerve compression. These are, an excessive body weight, bad posture, lack of exercise etc.
AYURVEDIC POINT OF VIEW
According to Ayurveda, chronic back pain like sciatica is known as "Gridhrasi". Gridhrasi is derived from the word "Gridhra" which means vulture.
The patients of this condition develop an altered gait due to severe pain in the back and his gait can be compared to that of a vulture. Even vulture's prey feels a severe excruciating pain with which the pain of Sciatica can be compared.
It is primarily a disorder of imbalanced vata body energy. Sometimes kapha body energy may also be associated with it in which case it may have the involvement of vata as well as kapha body energy.
HOME REMEDIES FOR SCIATICA
1. Turmeric with Ashwagandha
- Turmeric has a lot of medicinal properties, which help to cure the severe pain, inflammation and other related disorders effectively.
- Take half tsp of each turmeric and ashwagandha powder.
- Add it to a cup of milk.
- Boil the solution.
- Drink this solution for one or two times on a daily basis.
2. Garlic, Ginger and Onion
- All three things are wonderful in sciatica.
- Increase your use of garlic, onion and ginger in all your dishes.
- Four raw cloves, 2 raw small pieces of ginger and half of onion each morning can go a long way to fight pain (and also to boost your immune system).
- One can make paste also to consume easily.
- The use of all three are amazing.
3. Potato Juice
- Potato is a wonderful home remedy, which provides relief from the sciatic pain.
- Squeeze a raw potato to extract its juice.
- Mix the raw potato juice with some amount of carrot juice.
- Drink the solution two times on a daily basis. You will surely get benefitted from the pain.
4. Cold and warm compress
- Alternate application of cold and warm compress on the affected area provides relief to the tensed nerves and muscles.
- Place the cold or the warm pack on the affected part for about 15 minutes
- Repeat the process for every 3 to 4 hours and get relief from the terrific pain.
- However, people having circulatory problems must avoid this home remedy.
- Celery is another effective home remedy for sciatica. This green vegetable has a lot of nutrients and anti-oxidating and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take a glass of boiling water.
- Put the leaves and stems of the celery in it.
- Boil the solution in low heat until the solution becomes green.
- Drink the solution thrice daily to get relief from the inflammation, pain and irritation.