Antioxidants are essential to prevent the cellular damage. We can't imagine our life without oxygen as our body uses the oxygen to do its several functions, then byproducts are generated called as the reactive oxygen species (ROS) or commonly known as free radicals. Our body produces its own antioxidants. Plant food is the good source of antioxidants and which are required to be included in the diet with increasing age. These free radicals cause the damage to healthy cells and target the fats which provide structural membranes surrounding the body cells. Antioxidants help to neutralize the effects of free radicals and prevent the cell death. Antioxidants have the anti aging properties and thus provide the longevity.
Health Benefits of Antioxidants
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects - It has been studied that people who consume the antioxidants in their morning green tea or green coffee, reduces the risk of heart complications. Polyphenol is the antioxidant found in the green tea and coffee which prevents the oxidation of fats, which is responsible for inflammations and increases the risk of diabetes and heart complications.
- Brain health - Antioxidants found in the blueberry, strawberry and spinach help to protect the nervous system by inhibition of enzymes which may involve in the neurologic disorders like depression, memory loss and schizophrenia.
- Good immunity - Antioxidants support the good health of immune system and aids the immune system to manage the HIV infections.
- Anti cancerous properties - It has been found that antioxidants help in the prevention of certain type of cancers.
- Anti aging effects - Antioxidants found in vitamin E and C help to delay the aging process.
Food Sources of Antioxidants
- Horse radish
- Brazil nuts
- Sun flower seeds
- Goji Berries
- Acai Berry
- Coconut Oil
- Pinto Beans
- Broad Beans
- Wheat Germ
- Hempseed Oil
- Barley & Rye
- Black Currant
- Sweet Potatoes
- Raw Nuts & Seeds
- Whole Grain Brown Rice
Antioxidant deficiency occurs when body does not have sufficient antioxidants. So antioxidants deficiency causes the various free radicals to spread in the cells and destroy them. These free radicals results in the damage of DNA.
Other diseases which may develop due to the free radicals are listed below:-
- Parkinson's disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Alzheimer's disease
- Eye disease
- Heart disease
Daily Recommended Intakes of Antioxidants
If you want to stay healthy and prevent yourselves from diseases then you must consume the foods and beverages which are rich in antioxidants. There is the requirement of at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday and 6 to 11 portions of grains daily are also good to meet the requirement of antioxidants.Share with your friends: