Bharangi is oldest herb used in ayurvedic system which is very famous for healthy respiratory system and to give good rhythm to voice. Its common names are glory bower, bag flower and bleeding heart. Leaves are used to increase appetite and also has expectoration activities. Its flowers resemble to lotus. Bharangi was discovered by rishi "Bhrigu" thousands of years back.
Description of plant
Bharangi is perennial woody shrub with bluntly quadrangular stems. Leaves are usually three at node, 3-8 inch long, oval in shape with sharp thorns. Thorns of this plant are pulpy and oily. Flowers of this plant grow in bunches are slightly fragrant and pale blue pinkish in color. Fruits are appears in group of 16 and after ripening color changes to purple black. Flowers of this shrub appear in summer season and fruits at the end of rainy season.
Bharangi is woody medicinal shrub used in ayurvedic system for his various medicinal properties. It is also called "Kasaghni" and it is best used to cure respiratory system related diseases. Decoction prepared by leaves has bronchodilator effect. It is not toxic plant and its flowers and leaves are also edible. Root of this plant is bitter, dry, anti-inflammatory, digestive, carminative, stimulant, expectorant and anti-spasmodic in nature. This herb contains hispidulin, 7-0 glucurodines, scutellarein, uncinatone etc. Its roots contain various chemical compounds like saponnins, D- mannitol, oleanic acid, steroidal glycosides, ferulic acid, arabinose and urosolic acid. Leaves are rich in luteoline, polyphonolics, carbohydrates, phenolics, terpenes and steroids.
Bharangi is a medicinal shrub growing in tropical and warm regions of world. There are about 150 to 450 species of this plant and it is distributed throughout world. Especially it is found in warm temperate regions and native of South Africa, Southern Asia and Malaysia and distributed in various regions of tropical America, Northern Australia, India and Sri Lanka. In India this plant is easily available in regions like Himalayan region, Bhopal, Bengal and Bihar. Red loam soils are best for the growth of this herb.
- Kingdom - plantae
- Order - lamiales
- Family - verbenaceae
- Latin name - Clerodendrum serratum
- English name - Turk's turban moon
- Sanskrit name - Bhramanayastika, Kharashakha, Padma, Kasajith, Barbura
- Common names - Bharangi, Kasaghni, Phajuka, Vtari, Beetle killer, Blue glory
- Hindi name - Bharangi
- Malayalam - Cheruthekku
- Bengali name - Bamun hatee, Baman hatee, Bhumijam
- Gujarat name - Bharangee
- Kannada name - Gantubarangee
- Oriya name - Chinds
- Punjabi name - Bhadangee
- Tamil name - Cheruteku
- Telgu name - Canttubrarangee
- Urdu name - Bharangi, Baharangi
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Rasa||Katu, Tikta||Taste||Pungent, Bitter|
|Guna||Laghu, Ruksha||Physical Property||Light, Dry|
Effects on Doshas
It balances kapha and vata doshas.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita||Ashtanga sanghrah||Ashtang hriday|
|Pureesh sanghrehniya - Herbs used to increase the bulk of feces.||Pipalyadi gana.||Pipalyadi gana||Akradi and Sursadi gana|
Ancient verse about Bharangi
- According to first shalok Bharagi, bhrigubhava, Padma, fajji, barahmanyashtica, brahmani, angaarvalli, kharshak and hajjika are the various synonyms of bharangi. It has various properties like bitter and astringent taste, rookash (dry) and laghu (light) guna, hot potency and it helps to stimulate digestive fire. It is used to cure abdominal tumors (gulam), bleeding disorders (rakta pitta), swelling (shoth), cough (kaas), Asthma (shwaas), Rhinitis (peenas), Fever (jwara) and pacifies vata dosha.
- According to second shalok Sati (Hedychium spicatum), Puskarmula (Inula racemosa), Bharangi (Clerodendron serratum), Patha (Cissampelos pariera), Katphala (Myrica nagi), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara), Karkatshrangi (Pistacia integerrina) decoction of all the medicinal herbs are used to cure fever due to vitiation of kapha ( kaphaj jwara).
Practical Uses of Clerodendrum serratum
- Kasaghni is common name of this herb and this herb is used to cure common cold, cough, tuberculosis, rhinitis, asthma (shwasa roga), chronic respiratory disorders and their underlying symptoms.
- Decoction of leaves acts as bronchodilator and mucolytic in nature and it is used to break down phlegm and extra mucus and eases it out from body.
- Paste of bharangi leaves are used in lymphadenopathy.
- Root of this herb is used to treat jaundice and various disorders associated with liver.
- It is helpful in the pacification of vata dosha and it is useful in rheumatic conditions, gout and joint pain.
- Bharangi has anti-microbial properties and it is used in various worm infestations.
- It act as appetizer and used to stimulate digestive fire.
- Root paste of bharangi applied on forehead relieves headaches.
- Decoction of this herb is used to cure cyst, raktagulam and uterine fibroids.
- Paste of leaves are applied on wounds and ulcers to extract out extra pus and relieve burning sensation. It is also helpful in the quick healing of abscesses.
- It is also used to cure abdominal tumors.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and used to reduce inflammation.
- It pacifies vata and kapha roga.
Products from Clerodendrum serratum
- Praanrakshak Churna
- Khadiradi Guttika
Powder : 3-6 gm
There are no side effects of this herb.Share with your friends: