Amla is the richest source of vitamin C. it is also known as Indian gooseberry and is highly beneficial for several health conditions. Amlas are good for liver, eyes and stomach as well. It is even, used in various herbal formulations too. These are available in abundance in the months of winter.
These amlas are used for making of Amla murrabba. Amla murraba is a delicious one that is mostly used as a general health tonic. It tastes sweet and has similar health benefits as the amla powder and amla extract.
Ingredients required for preparation of Amla Murrabba
- Indian gooseberries (Amlas) - 500 g (20 Amlas)
- Sugar - 500 g
- Cardamom (Elaichi) powder - ¼ teaspoonful
- Few saffron (Kesar) strands
How to prepare?
- First of all, you have to wash all the amlas thoroughly.
- In a pan, boil plenty of water and then add all the amlas in it. Again, boil it for another 10 minutes on high flame. Now, drain the water and keep amlas aside.
- Take 3 cups of water in another pan and add sugar to it and boil this mixture till the syrup becomes thick.
- Now add the amlas to it and cook it for another 40 minutes over a slow flame. Cook it till the amlas are soft.
- Allow the amlas to cool completely and covered this mixture in a cool and dry place for 2 days.
- After 2 days, drain the amla from the sugar syrup. Now boil this left sugar syrup with cardamom powder and saffron till the syrup reduces to 2 string consistency.
- Now add the amlas to this syrup and simmer it for another 3-4 minutes.
- Allow this mixture to cool completely. Pour this mixture in a sterilized glass jar and store it in a room temperature for up to 1 year.
You can add alum to the water while washing the amlas in the first step. Alum helps in the purification of the amlas.
You can also add black pepper and black salt according to your taste while adding cardamom and saffron.Share with your friends: