What is Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease of the airways characterized by variable and reoccurring symptoms reversible airflow obstruction or simply, we can say it is a chronic lung disease which inflames and narrows the airways. Asthma effects people of all ages, but it most often starts at childhood. This can make breathing difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing. Asthma cannot be cured but can be controlled by taking proper precautions and medicines.
According to Ancient Ayurveda, Asthma is known as a "Swas Rog" and is characterized by the inflammation of the bronchial airways leading to increase mucus production. In the preliminary stage of asthma patient may complaint of indigestion, constipation, tightness of chest later it leads to sneezing, wheezing, and indicating the attempt of the body to remove congested phlegm that has blocked the respiratory passage from nose to lungs.
What are the Causes of Asthma?
It is not clear why some people get asthma or some not, but it is probably due to combination of environmental and genetic factors.
Asthma triggers are various from person to person and can include:
- Air-borne Allergens: such as pollens, animal dander, mold, cockroaches and dust mites.
- Air Pollutants such as smoke.
- Certain medication Beta-Blockers, aspirin, ibuprofen fin (Advil, Motrin IB others)
- Physical activities like exercise
- Respiratory infection such as common cold
- Strong emotions and stress
- Sulfites and preservatives added to the food and beverages, including dry fruit, processed potatoes, beer, and wine.
- Other health issues even make harder to control asthma example running nose, sinus infection, psychological stress, sleep apnea.
According to Ayurveda, Allergy is not the primary cause of the disease, the primary cause is wrong food habits, bad weather. Allergy factors are only secondary cause which increase the disease.
The main doshas involved in the asthma are vata and kapha. The vitiated "Pranvayu" combines with deranged "kapha dosha" in the lungs and cause obstruction in the "Pranvahsrotasa" (Respiratory System) this result in difficult breathing and known as Swas Rog.
What are the Types of Asthma?
According to Modern Science Asthma is two types:
- Allergic (Extrinsic) – Its more commonly develop in Childhood. Typically there is a family history of allergies. Additionally there is another allergic condition, nasal secretion, eczema are often present. Allergic Asthma often goes in childhood and again reappears later.
- Non-Allergic (Intrinsic) - It is usually develops after the age of 30 years and is not typically associated with allergies. Females usually suffer from this and in many cases it seems to follow a Respiratory tract infection. The condition can be difficult to treat and symptoms are often chronic and about a year around.
According to the Ayurveda there is a five types of Swas Rog (Asthma):-
- Maha-Swas: A condition in which patient falls completely breathless, makes wheezing sound to gulp maximum air. A condition comparable to dyspnea. Confusion, blue skin, lethargy reflects the severity of the condition.
- Urdhva-Swas: This is compares to stertorous breathing, patient has to inspire or expire forcefully.
- Chinna-Swas: This is compared to chyne-stroke respiration. This is described as periodic breathing where periods of high breathing (hyperpnoea) alternate with periods of slow breathing (hypopnea) or no breathing (apnea)
- Tamak-Swas: This is compared with Bronchial Asthma. The attacks are very severe and frequently. The patient feels shortness of breath, coughing and tightness of chest. The Patient sits in upright and lean position, use both chest and neck muscles to help in breathing.
- Shudra-Swas: This described as dyspnea on effort. Breathlessness that follows exertion, cold, dry food and physical exercise.
What are the Sign and Symptoms of Asthma?
- Coughing - Coughing from asthma worsen at night and early in the morning, and make it hard to sleep.
- Wheezing - Wheezing is a whistling sound occurs when you breathe.
- Chest tightness - This may feel like something is squeezing your chest.
- Shortness of breath - Someone who have asthma cannot catch their breath, you may feel like you cannot get air out of your lungs.
- Trouble in sleeping due to wheezing, chest tightness and coughing.
Not all people who have asthma have these symptoms, having these symptoms not always means that you have asthma. Sometimes symptoms just annoy you, or troublesome to your daily routine.
Severe Symptoms can be fatal. It's important to treat symptoms when you first notice them otherwise they become fatal.
How to Diagnose Asthma?
- A medical History (including type and frequently symptoms occur).
- Lung Function test.
- Physical Examination.
Herbal Remedies for Asthma by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Asthma Care Pack for natural treatment of asthma. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Aller-G Care - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Praanrakshak churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Tulsi Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
1. Aller-G Care
The capsules formed from the best known herbs are Haridra, aswagandha, neem and shirish.
Benefits: Aller-G Capsules formed from the purest extract taken from these herbs. Haridra is the commonly known as haldi. It's highly effective in rhinitis and allergies. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory, anti-septic, anti-diabetic properties. It is also effective for skin disorders also such as ache, pimples, rashes and skin inflammation. Neem is a wonderful disinfectant and cleansing action in the body systems. It is effective in allergies and infection also. It is widely used as gum cleaner to protect from the oral infection and bad breathe. It has also anti-bacterial property. Aswagandha has a natural rejuvenating property to the body. This property helps to act over allergies, infection and inflammations. It also helps to reduce stress or neurological disorders. This herb has an anti- oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to reduce cholesterol and protect from the heart disorders. Sirish is also known as vish-ghan that literally meaning is removing poison, here poison means the toxins produced in the body due to imbalance of three doshes.
2. Praanraksak Churna
It is combination of seven herbs Shirish (Albezzia lebbok) 40gm, Vaasa (Adhtoda vasica) 40gm, Annathmool (typhlora Asthmatica) 40mg, Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylinca) 20gm, Bharangi (Clerodandrum Serritum) 10mg, kantkari (Solanum xanthocarpum) 40gm, Mulethi (Glycerrhiza glabra) 10mg.
Benefits: It is the useful combination of anti-allergic herbs for asthma and allergy. These herbs act together in synergistic manner and effective in chronic allergic illness, respiratory. The herbs Bharangi, kantakri, and Shirish act as anti-histamines and are effective in treating in acute and chronic asthmatic attacks. The herb Vaasa breaks the mucous plugs and are useful in common cough and also helpful in respiratory tract infection.
3. Tulsi Capsules
The Ayurvedic formula of tulsi is prepared from the naturally from the pure extract taken from the herb Tulsi. The product form is 100% pure and formed in the capsule form.
Benefits: It is also known as a holy basil as it considered as a holy plant in India. Tulsi has effective result on the respiratory system. It has an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties and is beneficial in respiratory inflammations like rhinitis and sinusitis. Tulsi is used in tea also because of its strong aroma.it also helps to reduce stress and emotional imbalance. The best part is it easily available and very safe and effective. One can use in day to day life.
Where to buy Asthma Care Pack?
To buy Asthma Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/asthma-care-pack.html.