About Cerebral Palsy
It is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone which appears in early childhood or infants that affect body functions such as movement, muscle coordination and balance. It is the result of brain lesions (abnormality in brain structure and function) that are non-progressive, means the lesion does not produce ongoing degeneration of brain. It mainly occurs in the premature infants or low weight infants.
Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy
Symptoms may vary from person to person.
Some signs and symptoms of cerebral palsy may include:
- Difficulty in movement
- Ataxia (lack of muscle coordination)
- Variation in muscle tone.
- Involuntary movements.
- Problem in feeding and sucking
- Difficulty in eyesight, hearing or speaking.
- Athetosis (slow, writhing problems)
- Spasticity (severe tightening of muscle)
Causes of Cerebral Palsy
It is mainly caused due to brain damage or abnormal brain development which is usually before child birth. The exact reason of brain damage is unknown.
There are some factors responsible for brain damage that may include:-
- Gene mutations: mutation in the genes associated with brain development.
- Maternal infection: infection that may affect the developing fetus.
- Stroke: disruption in blood supply to the developing brain.
- Infections: some infections that may cause inflammation around brain.
- Traumatic head injury: serious head injury due to an accident.
- Lack of oxygen supply (asphyxia): if less oxygen supply to brain due to difficult delivery or labor.
Complications Associated With Cerebral Palsy
If it is left untreated then the symptoms may get severe with time.
Some common problems may arise that may be:-
- Contracture: It is shortening of muscle tissue due to spasticity. Contracture may cause several joint problems due to inhibition of bone growth like bending of bones, joint deformities and dislocation.
- Malnutrition: It may happen due to problem in eating or swallowing. In that case, infant do not gets proper nutrition that affect the growth and cause weakness of bones.
- Psychiatric problems: It may cause mental health problems like depression, isolation etc.
- Osteoarthritis: abnormal joint alignment or joint pressure may arise problem named Osteoarthritis.
- Lung and breathing disorders.
Diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy
Doctors will suggest some diagnostic tests to diagnose brain condition. These tests help to diagnose the brain abnormalities of child. It may include:
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging): It gives 3D structure of brain which helps to find brain lesions or any structural abnormalities.
- CT scan- In this X-Rays are used to obtain cross sectional images of brain which helps to find abnormalities of brain.
- EEG (Electroencephalogram): It helps to find the seizure or epilepsy in patient.
- Cranial ultrasound
- Laboratory Tests: These tests include blood tests. It helps to find the problem like blood clotting disorders that may cause stroke and other genetic or metabolic disorders.
According to Ayurveda, this condition is known as Phakka means inability to walk or move. As per Ayurveda, there are three main energies – vata, pitta and kapha are responsible for healthy life. Imbalance of any three energies may results in health complications. Vata dosha is responsible for controlling motor and sensory activity of brain. Imbalance of vata dosha is responsible for cerebral palsy as per ayurveda.
How Ayurveda Helps in Cerebral Palsy?
Ayurveda is an ancient science of medicine which provides effective and natural ways to manage the diseased condition. According to Ayurveda, this condition can be managed with the help of herbal medicines or therapies to some extent. Ayurveda mainly works on the symptoms associated with the disease and reverse the brain damage. There are different herbs used in Ayurveda to support the symptoms of cerebral palsy such as Ashwangandha (Withania somnifera), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Curcumin (Curcuma longa) etc.
Herbal Remedies for Cerebral Palsy by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Ashwagandha Capsules, Brahmi Capsules, Curcumin Capsules, Chanderprabha Vati & Nirgundi Oil for ayurvedic treatment of cerebral palsy. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
These are pure natural capsules that are obtained from Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha). It is cultivated in drier region of India. It is commonly used herb in Ayurveda which works on nervous system. This herb is nontoxic that works on nonspecific basis to normalize physiological function working on HPA axis and neuroendocrine system.
- It possesses natural rejuvenating properties for the body.
- It is helpful in relieving all types of nervous system related disorders like paralysis, Bell's palsy, Alzheimer's disease.
- It is also used in fatigue, stress and weakness.
Dose - 1 Capsule twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
These are herbal capsules which is obtained from Bacopa monnieri belongs to family Plantaginceae. It is small annual creeping herb which is found throughout India including Northern Eastern Region. The whole plant is used to make medicines.
- It has positive effect on nervous system.
- It acts as brain tonic.
- It enhances the normal brain activity and reduces the pain and stiffness in affected area.
- It pacifies the vata dosha.
- It is helpful in all type of mood disorders.
Dose - 1 Capsule twice daily after meal with plain water.
These are pure natural capsules offered by Planet Ayurveda obtained from extract of Curcumin which is active constituent of Turmeric (Curcuma longa). It has various medicinal properties. It is used in various diseased conditions and helps to reduce inflammation and provides relief from pain and numbness and also reduces the stiffness. It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-oxidant properties.
Dose - 1 capsule twice in a day with plain water after meals.
These are pure natural herbal tablets which has calming effect on entire body. These are combination of different herbs which are explained below:
Ingredients of Chandraprabha vati:-
- Guggul (Comniphora mukul)
- Sharkara (Sugar)
- Karpoor (Cinnamomum camphora)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Mustak (Cyprus rotundus)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Shilajit (Asphaltum punibiunum)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Sarjikashaar (Sodium carbonate)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Saindhav lavan (Rock salt)
- Yavkshaar (Potasium carbonate)
- Suvarchal lavan (Sodium sulphate)
- Vida lavan (Black salt)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
- Tejpatta (Cinnamomum tamala)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
This is useful formulation by Planet Ayurveda. It has calming effect on entire body. It helps to reduce stress and cause relaxation in body. It helps to relieve fatigue.
Dose - 2 tablets twice in a day with plain water after meals.
5. Nirgundi Oil
It is also known as Vitex negundo. It is an herb known for its vata balancing properties. The leaves of the plant are used along with sesame oil for the preparation of this oil. It is an herbal oil obtained from leaves of different herbs which are given below:
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Kalihari (Gloriosa superba)
- Haldi (Curcuma longa)
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
- Til oil (Sesamum indicum)
- It has vata pacifying properties which is the controller of all nervous activities.
- Its regular use helps to improve the strength of nerves.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce inflammatory condition.
Dosage - For local application only.Share with your friends: