Description of Plant
Yasti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is perennial shrub, 6 feet in height with spikes bearing lilac-colored flowers with bean-like pods containing three or four seeds. Roots are long, wrinkled and brown in color. When outer skin is removed there is scaly yellow texture inside. From the basic root, secondary and tertiary roots originate. Leaves are conjoint, 70-150 mm long having 10-17 leaflets. Flowers are 8-12mm and pink to purple in color. Fruits are 20-30 mm, oblong pods and contains the 2-3 beans which are kidney shaped.
Yasti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is commonly known as mulethi and mostly available in Indian Kitchen. Health benefits of Yastimadhu are described in Ayurveda since many years ago. This herb has Soothing effect on the throat and pharynx is goodso use of yastimadhu is good for hoarseness of voice. This herb has the antacid, anti ulcerogenic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidants, anti-Alzheimer,anti-cancer, analgesic, immune modulator, anti-bacterial, anti-asthmatic, anti-arthritic and aphrodisiac properties. Roots of this herb contain 3.6% glycyrrhizin which is a yellow amorphous powder-asparagine, a glycoside isoliquirtin 2.2%, glucose 3.8%, starch, gum, mucilage, amorphous, sulphuric acid and metallic acids, calcium and magnesium salts. All these ingredients are packed with healing properties for human body.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Sub kingdom: Viridiplantae
- Infra kingdom: Streptophyta
- Super division: Embryophyta
- Division: Tracheophyta
- Sub division: Spermatophytina
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Super order: Rosanae
- Order: Fabales
- Family: Fabaceae
- Genus: Glycrrhiza
- Species: glabra
Yastimadhu is the native to Southeastern Europe and cultivated in most of Europe. It is grown best in the hot, dry and sunny climates with yearly low rainfall. Whereas adequate soil moisture is necessary for its growth and development.
- Latin Name - Glycyrrhiza glabra
- English name - Licorice/Liquorice
- Hindi name - Mulethi, Jethimadhu
- Tamil and Telugu name - Atimadhuram, Irattimadhuram
- Hindi name - Muleti, Jetimadhu
- Kannada name - Atimadhura, Jeshtamadhu
- Telugu name - Yashtimadhukam
- Bengali name - Yashtimadhu
- Marathi name - Jeshtimadh
- Gujarati name - Jethimadh
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Guna||Guru, Pichilam||Physical Property||Sticky, Heavy|
|Vipaka||Madhura||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)||Sweet|
Effects on Doshas
It balances vata and pitta doshas.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita||Sushrut Samhita|
Ancient Verse about Glycyrrhiza Glabra
Bhavprakash nighantu edition of 1998: verse 145-146, page no-65-66.
Yastimadhu, Yastimadhuk, Clitmak are names of mulethi. There is another type which is found in water. It is called as madhulika. It is cold in potency, heavy with sweet taste. It is good for eyes, provides strength, improves complexion and enhances the quality of semen in body. It is good for voice and hair. It manages pitta, vata, inflammation, wounds, vomiting, thirst and weakness.
The Bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary by Padmashri prof. K.C. Chunekar, edited by Dr. G.S. Pandey: verse 145-146, edition of 1998: page no- 65-66.
Practical uses of Glycyrrhiza Glabra
- It is known to be an effective herb to resolve the respiratory complications. It acts as the wonderful emollient and it has the soothing effects on the throat as well as pharynx. Hence use of this herb is quite good in the treatment of cough, hoarseness of voice, chest congestion, sore throat, bronchitis, chronic bronchitis and whooping cough. This herb helps to boost up the immune system and plays an important role in the treatment of asthma and various allergic reactions in body.
- Roots of this herb support the good health of digestive system. This herb helps to lower down the acid levels in intestine. It is quite good to manage the problem of indigestion and heart burn. Hence use of this herb is quite effective in the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders like Irritable bowel Syndrome (IBS), duodenal ulcers, peptic ulcers and gastritis.
- This herb supports the good health of liver and also enhances the bile secretion. Moreover this herb helps to lower the cholesterol levels in the body too.
- This herb is good for the treatment of hypothyroidism. As it helps to increase the secretion of thyroid hormones. Furthermore this herb also help to manage the hormonal imbalances.
- Roost of this herb contains a substance which prevents the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. Dihydrotestosterone is hormone which stimulates cell division in the male prostate gland. Hence this herb is quite good to reduce the size of prostate gland and also helps to manage the symptoms associated with benign enlargement of the prostate.
- This herb is packed with anti-microbial activities. Hence it boosts up the body's immune system. It also increases the body's ability to fight against the various viral and bacterial infections. Anti-fungal properties of this herbs are quite good in the treatment of athlete's foot.
1 to 4 grams.
Ayurvedic Products from Glycyrrhiza Glabra in Planet Ayurveda
Praanrakshak churna is an amazing formulation of Planet Ayurveda. Yastimadhu is used in the formulation of this herbal product. This herbal product offers respiratory complications like asthma, allergy, bronchitis and whooping cough.
This herb is also used in the formulation of hair growth formula. This herbal product is good for hair fall, make hair strong and also prevents the premature graying of hair.Share with your friends: