Ulcerative Colitis Causes and in Brief Pathology
- Ulcerative colitis is a disease related to the inflammation of the bowel especially of the colon and rectum.
- It usually starts from the rectum progressing upwards to the colon.
- It occurs as a result of a combination of environmental, lifestyle and genetic factors.
Inheritance of Ulcerative Colitis
- The disease usually runs in families making people to inherit the causative genetic makeup. But these facts are not yet proven and we can only suspect a genetic predisposition based on clinical evidences.
- It is marked by a faulty immune response to the intestinal colon and rectal walls. This leads to the formation of antibodies against the intestinal tissues leading to injury causing bleeding and ulcerations.
- It is a very common condition in European countries and in blacks. The cause of this selectivity of attack however is not known. Asians are least affected amongst all the races.
Progression and First Signs
The disease has a gradual progression and may show symptoms at any point of time or age. Most commonly, the age of occurrence is 15 – 16 years. Ulcerative colitis is not a curable disease as believed by most doctors and theories but it can be very easily managed by making small lifestyle and dietary changes which can regulate the symptoms and severity of the disease to a large extent.
Factors that Lead to Ulcerative Colitis
Stress is a negative emotion and delays any kind of healing or repair inside the body be it physical or mental. In case of Ulcerative colitis also, it worsens the inflammatory condition leading to a delay and resistance in the effective management of ulcerative colitis.
SPICY FOOD, JUNK FOOD, DAIRY PRODUCTS AND CARBONATED DRINKS
All these lead to a disruption in the normal process of digestion which in turn blocks channels and disrupts digestive fire leading to the accumulation of toxins which triggers a strong inflammatory response. This stimulates the immune system to produce WBCs which attack the intestinal wall leading to ulcerations and bleeding.
MILK AND ULCERATIVE COLITIS
Milk and milk products are difficult to digest in adults due to lower levels of lactase enzymes in adults as compared to children. This leads to the production of AMA or toxins which disrupt the digestive fire and ulcerate the intestine.
FIBRE RICH FOOD
These include whole wheat grains, brown rice etc. which take more time to digest. In a patient of ulcerative colitis, fiber rich food remains undigested leading to aggravation of symptoms. Similarly it goes for salads, green leafy vegetables and pulses. Therefore, only small amounts of fiber foods should be included in diet or it may also vary from patient to patient.
What to Do If You Have Ulcerative Colitis?
- Increase water intake and make sure it is properly distilled and not chlorinated.
- Coconut water is very beneficial and has a soothing and calming effect on the intestinal ulcerations.
- Quit smoking
- Exercise regularly
- Vitamin C rich foods should be preferred for the delaying of the symptoms.
- Refrain from all kinds of alcoholic drinks.
- Psyllium seed husk can be taken to regularize bowel and soothe the ulcerations.
- Curcumin is very effective as an anti-inflammatory herbal extract. It has shown remarkable results in regulating inflammatory conditions.
- Boswellia serrata is also a very beneficial herb for managing ulcerative colitis as it helps in soothing intestinal ulcerations by creating a protective mucoid covering and preventing erosion of the intestinal wall.
- Vegetables with Tikta (bitter) taste can be consumed like bitter gourd, green gourd, long gourds etc.
- Include olive oil in diet for preparing food products.
- Aloe Vera gel intake on a regular basis can have a very effective healing impact on the ulcerations.
- Yoghurt consumption should be encouraged as it replenishes the intestinal flora which is very essential for maintaining the normal functioning of the intestines.
- Manuka honey, according to the researches has shown a positive response on patients of IBD and IBS. Manuka honey is a monofloral type of honey obtained from the Manuka trees in Australia and New Zealand.
- Include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids in diet. Fish oil for example is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Practice breathing exercises and meditate to remain stress free and maintain a positive approach towards life.
Herbal Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda looks towards maintenance of healthy condition and prevention of remission in patients of ulcerative colitis. We have put together a unique combination of very effective ulcerative colitis alternative remedies from the house of "Planet Ayurveda" that help the patient to lead a normal and healthy life. Our products are made from 100 % standardized extracts which are totally herbal and made from pure extracts with no side effects.
- Arjuna Capsules : 2 capsule twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Vatsakadi Churna : 1 tablespoonful twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Pitta Balance : 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Kutazghan Vati : 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meal.
It is a combination of four alternative remedies, which provide remarkable relief to the patients of ulcerative colitis. These consist of a tablet formulation, two herbal vegetable capsules and a unique powder composition.