Ayurveda For Animals
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine which deals in managing the disorders of humans as well as the Animals. It is based on centuries of experience which has focused on the animal welfare and management of the disorders. The ayurvedic herbs have been in use for thousands of years and are safe and efficient. As the humans have dependency on the animals for various things such as the basic food products, farming etc. Since ancient times, animals have been a very good accompany for man. Animals, birds are a part of human life which needs to be cared for and their health conditions are to be managed correctly.
Animal health is as important as Human health. The concept of animal health comes under Pashu ayurveda. The medicinal science was divided into three parts: Ayurveda for the health of humans, Pashu ayurveda for the health of animals and Vriksha ayurveda for the health of the plants. Pashu ayurveda has been developed into the various branches such as Gaja shastra (Study for elephants), Ashwa shastra (Study of horses), Go Shastra (Study of Cows). The Animals, humans and herbs are made of the same Panch Mahabhuta consistency due to which the herbs provide the same effect to the animals as it does to humans.
History Of Veterinary Science
- The founder of veterinary science was Acharya Shalihotra who composed the Shalihotra samhita in the third century BCE. Acharya Shalihotra was the son of haya gosha and used to live in uttar pradesh. Acharya Shalihotra Worked on the care and management of the horses and wrote about 1200 shlokas in Sanskrit which have been translated to different languages such as Arabic, Tibetan, Persian and English.
- Athrava veda has provided the information regarding the Disorders of the animals, Herbal medications and their management.
- In the ancient period of Mahabharata, the two Pandava brothers named Sahadeva and Nakula were experts of cattle and horse respectively.
- Acharya charaka and Acharya Sushruta also explained about the Animal ailments and their management.
- Gja ayurveda, study of elephants was composed by the sage Palakapya, who was an expert in managing the ailments related to them.
- King Ashoka was the first person to build a hospital for the Animals and even arranged the cultivation of herbal medications for animals and mens.
Prakruti Analysis For Animals
As we know that each and every thing on this planet is composed of the panchamahabhutas. Ayurveda medicine is based on the five elements known as the panchamahabhutas and the body type is based on the doshas which are vata, pitta and Kapha as well as the panchmahabhutas which has its own subtle properties and determines the traits in humans as well as in animals.
1. Characteristics Of Vata Predominance
Vata governs all the movement in the body and mind.
- Either they taller or shorter than the normal size
- Visible tendons, veins and lean
- Cold paws and dislike for cold
- Dry and brittle nails
- Rough, Cool and dry skin which is prone to cracking
- The digestion and appetite varies
- Scanty urine, Dry feces which is hard and small in quantity
- Restless and short sleep
- Mood swings
- Full of excitement, fun, lively, joy and enthusiasm, etc.
2. Characteristics Of Pitta Predominance
- Medium to slender physique
- Soft and warm fur
- Soft claws
- Medium prominence of eyes
- Interrupted sleep for medium duration
- Warm paws and bothered by the Hot weather
- Passes a large amount of urine
- Strong Metabolism and good Digestion
- Sharp mind
- Increased concentration
- Assertive, Demanding, self confident, Aggressive
3. Characteristics Of Kapha Predominance
- Physically strong with heavy body
- May have asthma, aversive to damp and cold weather
- Slow and graceful
- Energy of all constitutions but steady
- Soft furs and large Soft eyes
- Short tempered
- Mostly overweight
- Sluggish Digestion
- Sound sleep and for long
- Slower to learn
- Long term memory
- Stable, Reliable, Faithful and peacemakers
References Of Pashu Ayurveda In Classical Texts
It has been mentioned by various Sages or Acharyas.
In Charak Samhita
In the 11th chapter of Siddhi Sthana named Phalamatra Siddhi Adhyaya. In that the various types of enemas are mentioned which can be given in animals. Stating this, Acharya Charaka has Mentioned the common recipes and Specific enema which provides impressive results.
कलिङ्गकुष्ठे मधुकं च पिप्पली वचा शताह्व मदनं रसञ्जनम।
हितानि सर्वेषु गुडःससैन्धवो द्विपञ्च्मुलम् च विकल्पान त्वियम।।
Reference - Charak samhita 12/23
The verse states the types of Veterinary enemas. The recipes has ingredients like Kalinga (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Kushta (Saussure lappa), Pippali (Piper longum), Madhuka (Madhuca indica), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Mandana (Randia Dumetorum), Satahva (Anethum sowa) and rasanjana which is added with jaggery, Rock salts and two variety of panchmula bilva (Aegle marmelos), Gambhari (Gmelina arborea), Shyonaka (Oroxylum indicum), Patala (Stereospermum suaveolens), Shalaparni (Desmodium gangeticum), Prishaparni (Uraria picta), Brihati (Solanum indicum), Kantakari (Solanum surattense), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris).
Specific enemas for the Diseases of the elephants
तथा च पर्ण्यौ धवशिग्रुपाटली मधूकसाराः सनिकुम्भचित्रकाः||
Reference - Charak samhita 12/24
The recipe mentioned above should be added with the decoction of the following giving medicated enemas,
- Pragraha (Oroxylum indicum)
- Hala (Shorea robusta)
- Tala Fruit (Borassus flabellifer)
- Ashvattha (Ficus religiosa)
- Banyan (Ficus benghalensis)
- Khadira (Acacia catechu)
Specific enema for diseases of the Cattle
पलाशभूतीकसुराह्वरोहिणीकषाय उक्तस्त्वधिको गवां हितः|
Reference - Charak samhita 12/25
For Cattles, the ingredients in above verse are to be added with the decoction of the following ingredients
- Masa parni (Teramnus labialis)
- Mudgaparni (Vigna trilobata)
- Shigru (Moringa oleifera)
- Madhuka (Madhuca Indica)
- Dhava (Anogeissus latifolia)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Nikumbha (Baliospermum montanum)
- Hitraka (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Palasha (Butea monosperma)
- Bhutika (Cymbopogon citratus)
- Katu rohini (Picrorhiza kurroa)
- Devadaru (Cedrus Deodara)
For diseases for horses, Donkey, Sheep, Goat and Camels.
पलाशदन्तीसुरदारुकत्तृणद्रवन्त्य उक्तास्तुरगस्य चाधिकाः
Reference - Charak samhita 12/25
The decoction of the following herbs are mixed with the herbs mentioned above in verse 23.
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Palasa (Butea monosperma)
- Sura daru (Cedrus deodara)
- Dravanti (Croton tiglium)
- Kattarina (Sterculia urens)
For camels and donkeys, the decoction of the following herbs is to be mixed with the herbs mentioned in verse 23.
खरोष्ट्रयोः पीलुकरीरखादिराः शम्याकबिल्वादिगणस्य च च्छदाः
Reference - Charak samhita 12/26
- Karir (Capparis)
- Pilu (Salvadora persica)
- Khadir (Acacia catechu)
- Samyaka and bilvadi group of herbs
अजाविकानां त्रिफलापरूषकं कपित्थकर्कन्धु सबिल्वकोलजम्
Reference - Charak samhita 12/26
In disorders of the Sheeps and Goats, the decoction of the herbs is to be taken with the herbs mentioned in verse 23.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia belerica)
- Kapitha (Limonia acidissima)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Karnakandu (Ziziphus jujuba)
In Sushruta Samhita
Shushruta samhita is written by acharya Sushruta who is the father of the surgery and has described various surgical procedures on the different parts of the plants and animals. Acharya Sushruta in the Yogasutriya Adhyaye has also mentioned this. The special methods such as application of cauterization, surgical grafting, removing foreign body, managing fractures, fistula and dislocations.
In Garuda Purana
In the chapter - medicinal treatment of the elephants and horses, the ulcers in the horses has been explained. In this it has been said that there are two types of ulcers: Extraneous ulcers and due to the derangement of humors which are divided into four types:
- Vataja Type
- Pittaja Type
- Kaphaja Type
- Raktaja Type
In Vataja, The ulcers have Suppuration.
In Pittaja, There is a burning sensation in the throat.
In Kaphaja, It is marked by delayed suppuration.
In Raktaja, It has a particular feature that it does not cause pain.
Some Common Ayurvedic Treatment For The Animals As Follows
Diet is a very important factor for good health. For the animals the feeding which is rich in wholesome foods and free from the preservatives and additives are advised.
ayurvedic massaging therapy known as Abhyanga (Massage) can be utilized to make their muscles relax, Strengthening the body and reduce stress.
Many ayurvedic herbs can be beneficial for the animals as well. For example, usage of the Haridra (Turmeric) can be used in relieving joint pain in dogs, horses, cats etc. the ayurvedic remedies should be used in conjunction with veterinary care.
Essential oils can be used to support the overall health of the animals and well being.
Planet Ayurveda For Animals
Planet Ayurveda is an Ayurvedic company who helps in managing the disorders with the help of herbs and dietary modifications. It has stepped forward to help pets with their conditions with the help of herbal formulations. The formulations manufactured here are natural, prepared from ancient herbs, effective in various types of conditions and are free from any type of adulteration, additives and Side effects. The products do not contain any type of colouring agent, Flavoring agent and dyes.
Planet Ayurveda has a wide range of products for the pets which is mentioned below. Dosage for these depends on the animals, their breed and condition.
For Skin Conditions
- Derma Vet: This formulation works for all kinds of Skin disorders, It manages the fungal infections, viral warts. It acts as a blood purifier and improves skin lustre.
- Fur Coat Syrup: This syrup acts as antifungal and antibacterial. It is effective in all types of Skin disorders, Aids in viral warts and acts as a blood purifier.
- Tic Fighter Spray: It acts as an antibacterial and antioxidant, it helps in reducing the Skin Redness and Inflammation, It acts as a Insect repellant and Skin soothing. It aids in Wound Healing and nail fungus.
For Gut Issues
- Gut Vet Tablets: This is an ayurvedic medicine, it helps in cleansing the gut, Detoxifies the body, is good for the ulcers and manages digestive issues.
- Gut Vet Syrup: It helps in enhancing the digestion and appetite, Supports a healthy metabolism, helps in enhancing the digestive enzymes. Relieves Uncomfortable abdominal Spasms.
- Vara Vet Powder: It is a mixture of three herbs which relieves constipation, Detoxifies the gut, aids in digestion and acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
For Neurological Condition
- Nervo Vet Tablets: These are useful in all kinds of neurological conditions, Helps in calming the nerves, Improves behavior and promotes brain health.
- Nervo Vet Syrup: Nervo vet syrup is a natural brain tonic which improves brain functioning. Reduces Stress and Anxiety and promotes healthy sleep.
For Liver Conditions
- Zigr Vet Syrup: It helps in eliminating the toxins and corrects liver dysfunction. It acts as a Digestive and anthelmintic and also helps in managing the inflamed liver.
- Zigr Vet Tablet: It helps in liver detoxification, Rejuvenates the liver, Maintains healthy digestion and helps in managing all the liver conditions.
- Leber Vet Powder: It acts as a Hepatoprotective, improves the liver functions and rejuvenates the Damaged Liver Cells. It helps in reversing the liver and spleen conditions, Enhances the bile production and Excretion.
- Augen Care Drops: It Promotes Good Eyesight, Drains out the infections, reduces the inflammation and prevents the Eye Disorders.
For Bone & Joints
- Bony Vet Syrup: It helps in strengthening the bones, boosts the energy levels, Promotes healthy Weight gain and Enhances strength and stamina.
- Lubri Vet: It helps in lubrication of the joints, It supports the Dosha of the body, Eases the pain and inflammation of the joints and improves Joint Health.
For Heart Related Conditions
- Arjuna Vet Syrup: It prevents heart diseases, manages the Cholesterol levels, It aids Healthy blood Circulation and promotes overall cardiac health.
For Immuno Conditions
- Geri Vet: It is used to prevent infections, acts as Natural anti ageing and for all types of the Immuno deficient conditions.
For Kidney Related Conditions
- Niere Vet Powder: It acts as a Rejuvenator, Reduces the creatinine and Urea levels. It helps in preventing the Urinary Infections and promotes overall health of the Kidneys.
For Blood Related Conditions
- Hemo Vet Syrup: This syrup helps in improving the haemoglobin levels, Promotes the iron levels, Loaded with antioxidants. It helps in purification and Detoxification.
For Inflammatory Conditions
- Inflam Vet Tablets: This is beneficial in all types of inflammatory conditions, reduces inflammation and Supports a Healthy Locomotion.
For Body Edema
- Odem Vet Tablet: It reduces water Retention and edema of the body. It boosts the immunity and Strength, acts as a Diuretic and Antiinflammatory. It manages iron deficiency anemia.
- Happy Fur Shampoo: It helps in getting rid of itchy Skin, Deep cleans the fur and skin and Leaves a glossy sheen on the coat.
- Happy Fur Conditioner: It is made with natural herbs which Condition your hair and make them soft and shiny.
To buy Products For Pets, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/collections/ayurvedic-products-for-pets
Ayurveda has various references for animal treatment as mentioned above which shows a history of managing the conditions of the animals with the help of ayurvedic herbs. The Founder of veterinary science is Acharya Shalihotra which was managing the diseases with the help of ayurvedic herbs. The herbs and preparation which has been mentioned shows that there is a history of ayurveda for animals and is continuing till now.