Ayurvedic Treatment for Heart Diseases (Hridroga)
The cardiovascular system consists of the heart and blood-vessels (with their contained fluid, blood). The heart is a muscular organ and pumps blood to all parts of the human body by the process of contraction. Pure-.oxygenated blood is carried by the dhamani (arteries) and impure-deoxygenated blood by the sira (veins). Some common cardiac ailments and there Ayurvedic management is discussed below.
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Age factor is the leading cause of hypertension. With passage of time the elasticity of the blood vessels particularly arteries decrease and there is congestion of blood. Arteries undergo hardening (sclerosis) and the process is known as arteriosclerosis. High levels of blood pressure can lead to brain hemorrhage (bleeding) and vision loss.
Increased consumption of fatty foods is another factor responsible for the growing incidence of hypertension. Foods rich in cholesterol and triglycerides (types of fats) to accumulate in the inner wall of arteries. Gradually there is rise in fats (lipids) in the blood and the condition is known as hyperlipidemia (excess levels of fat in blood).
Increased salt intake in the diet leads to hypertension as it results in sodium and water retention in the body and consequence is high blood pressure. Under these conditions, there is natural increased urine flow to get rid of excess water and sodium. Thus reducing salt intake is major step in the treatment of hypertension. Irrational use of pain-killers and corticosteroids is associated with incidence of hypertension. Kidney and endocrinal disorders are also associated with hypertension.
Coronary Artery Disease (Ischemic Heart Disease)
Coronary artery disease or ischemic heart disease is a diseaqse in which fat accumulates in the wall of the coronary arteries. Coronary arteries carry blood to the heart. The fat deposits start building up in gradual fashion and on irregularly pattern in the large branches of the coronary blood vessels. This process is known as atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis results in narrowing of the lumen coupled with hardening of the the coronary arteries supplying blood to the heart muscle. The result is ischemia (lack of adequate oxygen supply) to heart muscle. The consequence is damage to the heart muscle (myocardium). Complete blockade of coronary blood vessels results in heart-attack (myocardial infarction in medical language).
Signs and Symptoms:
Pin in the chest on exertion (angina pectoris) is the chief complaint. The pain may originate from the chest and can radiate to the left arm, jaw, neck, shoulder or jaw.
- Family history of coronary artery disease, diabetes mellitus, and hypertension
- Poor nutrition
- Previous history of heart attack
- Smoking habits
Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
Angina pectoris is a heart disease, charactarised by episodes of chest pain due to reduced oxygen supply to the heart. Angina pectoris is usually precipitated by physical or emotional stress. Angina pectoris is usually related to high levels of fats or lipids (hyperlidipemia).
Signs and Symptoms:
The pain or discomfort of angina is often described as squeezing, pressure, tightness or burning in the chest. Usually starts in the chest behind the breastbone. May also occur in the arms, shoulders, neck, jaw, throat, or back. The clinical picture may mimic indigestion.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Heart Diseases (Hridroga)
- Ayurveda recommends use of Guggul as treatment of high levels of lipids in the blood (hyperlipidemia). One tablet, twice a day is recommended for six months for reducing high cholesterol levels in blood. Guggul is contraindicated in pregnancy and gastritis (heartburn).
- Garlic or Lashuna is excellent for preventing as well as treating heart disease. One capsule, thrice a day is effective in reducing high blood cholesterol and triglycerides.
- For angina pectoris, Arjuna is the drug of choice. Arjunarishta is a standard Ayurvedic remedy for strengthening the heart. Six teaspoonfuls of the preparation mixed with equal water, twice a day, should be given for six months.
- Sarpagandha is the drug of choice in the treatment of hypertension. Half teaspoonful (2.5 g) of the powder, thrice a day is highly efficacious in reducing the blood pressure. Some companies are marketing tablets of the medicinal herb also. One or two tablets, twice a day, are recommended in treating hypertension.
Herbal Remedies for Heart Diseases
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Heart Care Pack for Ayurvedic treatment of heart diseases. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Arjuna Capsules - 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water, after meals.
- Arjun Tea - 1 Cup daily.
- Total Heart Support - 2 Capsules twice daily with plain water, after meals.
- Gotu Kola Capsules - 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water, after meals.
1. Arjuna Capsules
Arjun tree is a panacea remedy in cardiovascular problems. Arjuna capsules are made from Terminalia arjun bark extract. The extract contains acids (arjunic acid, gallic acid, ellagic acid and terminic acid), glycosides (arjunetin, arjunine, arjunetosides I, II, III, IV) and strong antioxidants such as flavons (arjunone, arjunolone, leteilin), tannins, oligomeric and proanthocyanidins, some minerals like magnesium, calcium, zinc and copper. It also possesses anti-ischemic properties.
Very useful in treating ischemic heart diseases. It brings down high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglycerides levels. It is also used to treat diabetes as adjuvant to other diabetes supplements and deep vein thrombosis.
2. Arjun Tea
Arjun tea not only lowers blood pressure and high cholesterol levels but also strengthens heart muscles. Arjun tea contains natural flavonoids, antioxidants cardiac glycosides and it is rich in natural Co-enzyme Q 10 which make this tea very effective in treating heart ailments. Terminalia arjuna bark extract is a panacea remedy for cardiovascular and circulatory ailments.
Arjun tea effectively treats fatigue, blocked arteries, cardiovascular ailments, circulatory ailments and congestive heart failure. It improves pumping capacity of heart by providing strength to heart muscles and by strengthening the vascular system. It tones up and strengthens the arterial system. It corrects bone density. Some heart related ailments such as angina, myocardial infarction, mitral regurgitation, cardiomyopathy, heart attack, coronary artery diseases and ventricular failure can be treated effectively by drinking arjun tea. It also regulates pitta and hence controls anger, frustration, aggression and nervousness.
3. Total Heart Support
The prime ingredient is Arjun bark extract along with extract of Ashwagandha, Brahmi and Shankhpushpi. Ashwagandha, strengthen the nerves by calming it down. Brahmi and Shankhpushpi are diuretic, cardiac, nervine and general tonic. Total heart support improves heart functions and supports healthy blood pressure. These herbs balance disturbed vata and pitta in the body which are responsible for stress, blood pressure, anxiety, nervousness and heart ailments.
It is very effective in treatment of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, blocked coronary arteries, angina, myocardial infarction, breathlessness and congestive heart failure. Arjuna extract strengthens the heart muscles. The formula also detoxifies the arteries of blockages if any. Brahmi and Shankhpushi has anti-anxiety properties as it relieves stress and anxiety.
4. Gotu Kola Capsules
This is a patent herbal formulation prepared by Planet ayurveda consists Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica) that is very helpful for the heart’s health, have great anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant properties that are significantly beneficial for heart disorders. It helps in toning the heart muscles to work efficiently for longer duration.
To buy Heart Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/heart-care-pack.
Precautions or Diet
In Addition to Medicine, Lifestyle Changes Are Must in Proper Management of Coronary Heart Disease.
- With exertion, slow down or take rest in breaks
- After a heavy meal, avoid large meals and rich foods that leave feeling stuffed.
- With stress, try to avoid situations that make patient upset or stressed.
- Eat a healthy diet to prevent or reduce high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol, and obesity.
- Quit smoking.
- Exercise as directed by the doctor.
- Loose weight if overweight.
- If there is a history of diabetes, follow doctor's advice and take all medications as directed.