Ayurvedic Treatment for Trigeminal Neuralgia
What is the difference between Trigeminal Neuralgia and Neuropathic Facial Pain?
Trigeminal neuralgia is an acute pain that affects the trigeminal nerve, which is responsible to carry sensation from your face to your brain. If you have trigeminal neuralgia, even mild stimulation of your face - such as from brushing your teeth or putting on makeup - may trigger a jolt of unbearable pain. Trigeminal neuralgia or TN is characterized by facial pain with numbness and tingling sensation which is more described by very constant, dull, burning sensation with intermittent sharp pains.
What is Neuralgia?
Neuralgia is a condition of a sudden, painful attack as a result of a change in neurological structure or function due to irritation or damage to the nerves without stimulating pain receptor cells which affects the cranial nerves. The severe pain or mild burning effect may occur on the face and inside the mouth. It is broadly classified into four types.
- Trigeminal Neuralgia - In this condition the pain from TN that travels to other parts of the face through brain.
- Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia - Very uncommon and the pain is the throat and neck.
- Occipital Neuralgia - In this condition the pain in the neck and base of skull due to the inflammation and injury in the nerves which run from scalp to spinal cord
- Postherpetic Neuralgia - The complication is due to the viral infection characterized by blisters and painful rashes.
What is Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal neuralgia is a most common form of neuralgia that occurs due to the inflammation or compression of trigeminal nerve by an artery or a vein. It mostly affects the elderly people and generally affects the right side of the face.
What are the Causes?
Biological changes in the nerve tissues, the pressure exerted on the nerves by blood vessels or tumor and certain inflammatory diseases such as multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, and Lyme disease can act as a cause. Injury to the brain or trauma that damages or constricts the nerve may also lead to trigeminal neuralgia.
What are the Symptoms?
- Severe, sharp and stabbing pain,
- Pain felt during Simple daily activities such as brushing teeth, washing face, swallowing, talking, eating and chewing.
- Mild sensation like blowing of wind, mild facial touch may also cause pain.
- Shooting and jabbing pain felt like electric shock.
Herbal Remedies for Trigeminal Neuralgia by Planet Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda TN is reason of imbalanced vata dosha. Vata is known as Air Element. Planet Ayurveda, the leading herbal products manufacturer has provided some of the effective herbal remedies. These herbal remedies are considered the safest, natural and side effect free means of treatment. The Trigeminal Neuralgia Care Pack provided by Planet Ayurveda is a pure blend of herbs in providing effective and safe relief from the disorder. This set of herbal medicines make an excellent Ayurvedic treatment for Trigeminal Neuralgia.
- Ashwagandha Capsules - 1 capsules with warm water, after meals
- Hakam Churna – 1 tsp. with warm water, after meals
- Yograj Guggul - 2 tablets with warm water, after meals
- Boswellia Curcumin - 2 capsules with warm water, after meals
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
Ashwagandha capsules are considered to be major neuropathic medication, which is also used to treat debilitating conditions, fatigue, stress, anxiety, palpitation, aging etc. Proper use of these capsule can give relief to muscles. For children, it can be given as a nerve tonic, which can improve their physical stamina and mental health. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Capsules can be used by both children and adults. The bottle contains 60 capsules which can be taken twice a day for one month.
2. Hakam Churna
Hakam Churan is an anti-inflammatory herbal mixture, which helps to overcome various painful conditions like Trigeminal neuralgia, sciatica, Rheumatoid arthritis, Osteoarthritis and stiffness in the back. Hakam Churan is a blend of four pure herbs namely Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalongi (Nigella sativa), Methi (Trigonella foenum-graecum) and Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi).
3. Yograj Guggul
Yograj guggul is a classical formulation prepared with the popular Ayurvedic medicinal herb guggulu along with other herbs and ghee. The herbal combination has no side effects and has shown successful results in the treatment of muscular-skeletal and nervous disorders. In addition, Yograj Guggul is used in curing digestive disorders worm infestation, female reproductive system disorders, splenomegaly, and abdominal tumors. It is also a good immune-modulator and lipid-lowering agent. Hence, it is used to control obesity.
4. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin capsules have anti-inflammatory properties. It effectively gives relief from joint pains without any side effects. Along with Trigeminal Neuralgia, it is also used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, cervical spondylitis, chronic colitis, Asthma, allergies, Crohn's disease, brain tumors and all types of cancers.
To buy Trigeminal Neuralgia Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/trigeminal-neuralgia-care-pack
Can we take Herbal Remedies on regular basis?
Yes, Herbal remedies are free from any kind of side effect so can be taken on regular basis or as advised. These can be taken for few days, months or years as advised.
Diet And Lifestyle recommendations
- Avoid eating very cold, hot or spicy food which may worsen the pain. Eat a nutritious meal. Increase intake of mushy food or liquidize the food as some people may have difficulty in chewing.
- Drink liquid using a straw as this will avoid unnecessary contact of the liquid with painful areas of the mouth.
- Avoid triggers that may initiate painful attacks. If the pain is triggered by wind then wear a scarf, don't sit near the window.
- Opt for High protein diet and low-fat diet which Involves saturated fatsas this will permit proper growth and maintenance of nerve cell membrane and neurotransmitters. Do not overdose.
- Opt for Vitamin C and Vitamin B12 rich diet for healthy nerve functions.
- Opt for a natural diet containing fresh fruits and leafy vegetables.
- Prefer more fruits like apples, papayas, peaches, pears, kiwis.
- Less intake of tea and coffee.
- No soft drink. Only fresh juices. Not even preserved one.
- No junk, packed and fried foods.
- Have healthy diet at home.
- No noodles, pasta, Maggie, biscuits of white flour etc.
- Keep yourself active and do not take any kind of mental stress.