Ayurvedic Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis
An article on Cervical Spondylosis - by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurveda)
About Cervical Spondylosis
Cervical Spondylosis is a degenerative disorder of the neck bones due to abnormal wear of the bone cartilage. This might lead to gradual compression of one or more than one nerve roots. This may lead to tingling or needles pricking sensation in arm, pain in neck and arm and weakness of arm muscles.
Sometimes the cause of cervical spondylosis or pain in the back of the neck is occupational strain resulting from intensity and duration of working hours especially infront of a computer. Cervical spondylosis is afflicting the working class in the age group of 18 to 40 years, especially those in the IT sector. Percentage of such patients is increasing due to stress, pressure at work place and unhealthy food habits.
The suffers from cervical spondylosis are usually Students, Doctors, IT professionals, Designers, Architects, Web designers and many other professionals who remain confined to the desk or in front of computer for hours together in one posture. The number of people suffering from cervical spondylosis is rising everyday and especially when the stress is also increasing every passing day.
Neck pain can also be caused by an injury, muscular problem or by a trapped nerve between vertebrae. Besides, inappropriate working or sleeping posture may also be responsible. Cervical spondylosis is a clinical syndrome resulting from degeneration of the intervertebral disc and consequent pressure on the cervical nerve roots or the cervical cord. An x-ray reveals the formation of osteophytes and loss of normal lordosis or forwards curve. This is essentially an extension of degenerative changes in the body as a whole.
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
- Long hour of reading or working on computers
- Watching TV for long hours
- Driving for long hours
- Trapped nerve between vertebrae due to degeneration of ligaments, discs in between the cervical vertebrae.
- Bad sitting or sleeping posture
- Injury and muscular problem leading to abnormal tear of joints, ligaments and structure surrounding the inter-vertebral joints.
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
Pain at the back of the neck region, causing headache, altered sensation especially during combing of hair Numbness & weakness may appear in arms, hands, fingers and legs, Headache Irritable, restless and fatigued, disturbed sleep and impaired work ability Pain, stiffness in the neck, which may spread to other body parts, like shoulder and arm.
Precautions to be taken if you suffer from Cervical Spondylosis
- Avoid large and thick pillow while sleeping
- Avoid sudden twisting of neck
- Do neck muscle building exercises
- Do not sit for long hours infront of a computer or take breaks in between.
Advice for patients
Don't go for strong violent massage with deep pressure. This may cause more damage than relief from Spondylosis.
- Neck exercises as advised by physiotherapist are recommended.
- Milk intake or calcium supplement intake should be optimum.
- Herbal Anti-inflammatory drugs like Curcumin, Guggul, Joint aid plus can be taken along with other medications already being taken. These herbs are purely natural and do not cause any side effects.
- No manipulations by bone setters, Neck collar in case the pain is severe, Physiotherapy, neck traction and diathermy
Herbal Remedies for Cervical Spondylosis
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Cervical Spondylosis Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of cervical spondylosis. We provides 100 percent pure and herbal products. All of them are free from side effects and are safe to use. And they are formulated by MD Ayurveda doctors. All of the medicines from the house are made without the addition of chemicals or additives or preservatives in it.
- Yograj Guggul : 2 tablets two times a day with warm water, after meals.
- Hakam Churna : 1/2 tsp. two times a day with warm water, before meals.
- Joint Aid Plus : 2 capsules two times a day with warm water, after meals.
- Boswellia Curcumin : 1 capsule two times a day with warm water, after meals.
- Orthovita Oil : Apply warm oil locally and apply it before meals.
- Triphala Guggul : 1 tablet two times a day with warm water, after meals.
1. Yograj Guggul
It is a classical formulation, which is traditionally used in Ayurveda for painful Joints and muscles, Rheumatoid arthritis and Osteoarthritis. It helps to maintain healthy metabolism and remove toxins from the system. It rejuvenates and strengthens the skeletal and neuromuscular system. It is very effective for pain and inflammation. Although, it has almost all the properties but it also checks the irritation of the vatic nerves. It is also very effective for gastric problems also, which helps to balance the vata dosha in the body. This herbal preparation is the combination of the various ayurvedic herbs like Guggul resin (Commiphora mukul), Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Ajwain (Carum couticum), Vidang (Embelia ribes), Kulanjan (Alpinia galangal), Heart wood (Cedrus Deodara), Chavya (Piper chaba), Puskaramula (Inula racemosa) etc.
2. Hakam Churna
Hakam churna has ability to retrieve the normal digestion thereby putting a stop to Vata disturbance. It is very effective in painful joints, stiff joints, backache. Ayurveda Experts call this combination "Tridosha Rasayan". According to Ancient Ayurveda, the indigestion and formation of the gas is the main cause of the vitiation of the vata which then localize in the joints and produce pain. This herbal prepration helps to balance all the three doshas. It also helps to balance the kapha dosha, ultimately helps to decrease the body weight. Its hot nature means balancing Pitta, which works on the digestive fire of the body and getting into balance. This herbal combination consist of the chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalonji (Nigella sativa), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum) and Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi).
3. Joint Aid Plus
It is a unique combination of the various herbs. These capsules work quickly and excellent alternative to pain killers without any side effects. These are very effective in reducing inflammation and pain. These capsules help to regain the lost strength of the joints. The degeneration in joints steadily control by these capsules. This herbal capsules consist of the ingredients are Nirgundi (Vitex nirgundo), Sallaki (Bosewllia serrate), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Sonth (Zingiber officanlis) and Ashwagandha (withania somnifera).
4. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia curcumin is a polyherbal formulation by Planet Ayurveda made from a blend of the most effective anti-inflammatory herbs like Curcumin (Curcuma longa) and Shallaki (Boswellia serrata). These herbs are very helpful in reducing the pain as well as the inflammation. The powerful combination of these two herbs removes stiffness, improves flexibility, promotes joint health, and boosts up the immune system. In Cervical spondylitis this herbal formulation helps to remove the stiffness, inflammation, pain and is very effective in this condition.
5. Orthovita Oil
Orthovita oil is a polyherbal formulation in an oil form prepared from the Shul Gajendra taila, Tail Tarpin, Gandhpoom, Sendhvadi taila, Prasarani taila, and Kapoor. This oil helps in restoring the mobility or flexibility of joints and relieves pain, inflammation, stiffness, and swelling. It prevents joint degeneration and has anti-inflammatory actions. Orthovita oil shows effective results in Cervical spondylitis as its application helps to remove the stiffness, pain and inflammation.
6. Triphala Guggul
The chief ingredients of this classical polyherbal formulation are haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), and Guggul (Commiphora mukul). It helps to improve the quality and quantity of stool. Guggul has vaat pacifying properties and reduce the pain and swelling. It is widely used to manage conditions like Fistula and other anorectal problems as it promote the easy defecation. It also enhance the digestion and drain out the channels. It is also helpful to cure the inflammatory painful conditions.
To buy Cervical Spondylosis Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/cervical-spondylosis-care-pack.
Home Remedies for Cervical Spondylosis
- Use Cow's ghee in your food. It is a best natural "Vata" reliever and gives nourishment to the nerves and other body parts.
- 1 teaspoonful of Turmeric should be consumed once everyday, after boiling it in milk for half an hour. It is a very useful herbal treatment for cervical Spondylosis.
- Constipation must be avoided at all costs. Constipation may increase pain in Cervical Spondylosis.
- Herbs have divine healing powers and they have the ability to cure any disease from the root. They were gifted to us by God when he created life. So believe in God if you want to get rid of your problems !
- Ayurvedic herbs are unique natural remedies for Cervical Spondylosis. Ayurvedic principles are different in many ways from modern medicine for example - Drinking water from a copper pan after keeping it overnight is also very useful in Rheumatoid arthritis and Cervical Spondylosis.
- Consuming castor oil at night with milk or alone is a very useful herbal remedy for arthritis, especially rheumatoid arthritis and Cervical Spondylosis.
- Improve your nutrition as first step.It plays important role to fight diseases. When nothing works, nutrition works a lot !
- Use herbal juices like Aloe vera juice (Kumari Saar) and Amla Juice (Amla Saar) in routine. Amla is the richest source of natural Vitamin C. Vitamin C improves the natural immunity of the body. 100 gm of Amla juice contains 30 times more vitamin C than 100 gm of oranges.