Ayurvedic Treatment for Liver Cirrhosis
Liver cirrhosis is a condition of the liver which is characterized by an irreversible replacement of the normal liver tissues with unhealthy nodular growths. It is a progressive condition which, if left uncontrolled, can lead to irreversible damage to the Liver tissues.
It is an irreversible condition as the cellular damage is usually permanent and may result in lasting loss of important Liver functions.
Why is Liver So Important for us?
Liver is the seat of body's metabolism. It performs many important functions that regulate the body's all round wellbeing. It is where many digestive secretions are made and toxic products of metabolism are neutralized.
Many blood clotting factors and fat metabolism also takes place inside the Liver.
Whenever there is an excess buildup of toxins in the body or due to some microbial infection, liver damage occurs. As a result, the normal functioning of the liver is affected.
Ayurveda and Liver diseases
According to Ayurveda, liver is the center for the activity of pitta type of body energy. It is therefore, very essential to maintain and protect the liver from any kind of damage be it due to toxin accumulation, excessive alcohol intake, drug abuse or as a result of some bacterial or viral infection in the Liver.
What happens to the Liver in Liver Cirrhosis?
In case of Liver cirrhosis, liver cells undergo fibrosis due to the many causative factors like alcohol, viral hepatitis etc. and ultimately the whole of the Liver starts to harden and shrink. The hardened liver cells are not able to perform their normal function accurately. Slowly the blood flow to the Liver and all its parts is also hindered due to the increasing number of non – functional cells.
As a result, the main vein supplying blood to the liver that is the portal vein develops a raised blood pressure developing into a serious condition known as portal hypertension.
It is a very serious condition as a continuously raised blood pressure in the portal vein can lead to very serious consequences such as the development of esophageal varices. These are a bunch of very vulnerable and fragile blood capillaries which rupture with slight increase in the blood pressure and cause severe bleeding.
This is why Liver diseases are so dreaded by people. Any minor complication can slowly advance into a very intricate thread of progressive complications, one leading to another, resulting in serious consequences.
Common Causes of Liver Cirrhosis
Liver cirrhosis is a severe health condition that results in severe damage to the liver structure at the cost of permanent loss of liver function with time. There are many Liver conditions which can end into cirrhosis of liver and are also the common causes of this grave health condition.
A few of the prime causes of Liver cirrhosis are listed below:-
- Chronic hepatitis C – it is the most common type of viral hepatitis which can result in liver cirrhosis. It is however a very slow process and it takes years for a patient living with chronic hepatitis to develop this condition.
- Alcoholism is another factor which is amongst the most common reasons why people develop cirrhosis of the liver.
- Non – alcoholic fatty liver disease which may result due to obesity, diabetes, high blood cholesterol, hypertension and other metabolic conditions.
- Diseases of the bile ducts like biliary atresia and gall stones etc. Some inherited disease like Wilson's disease and hemochromatosis are other conditions which can cause Liver cirrhosis.
- Drug reactions
- Toxic chemical exposure for a prolonged period of time
- Infection by certain parasites
- Chronic heart failure, in which blood flow to the Liver is congested.
Precisely, there are no acute causes related to the progression of Liver cirrhosis. It takes years for the Liver to lose its functioning and develop cirrhosis, whatever may be the cause.
Common Symptoms that can be seen in a patient of Liver cirrhosis
- Prominent blood capillaries on the skin on the upper abdomen.
- Itchy and irritable skin
- No appetite
- Falling body weight
- Tenderness at the site of the Liver, on the abdomen.
- Red or blotchy palms and skin.
- Raised heartbeat
- Altered mental status
- Bleeding gums
- Edema on the dependent parts of the body in particular.
- Reduced sex drive
- Muscle cramps
- Dark colored urine.
Herbal Remedies for Liver Cirrhosis
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Liver Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of liver cirrhosis. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda.
- Indian Echinacea - 2 capsules twice daily after meals with warm water.
- Yakrit Plihantak Churna - You can boil the powder 1 teaspoonful in 400 ml water, keep it boiling until it remains 50 ml. Strain it and drink the water. Leave the residue. Do it twice daily. Make fresh every time.
- Phyllanthus Niruri - 2 capsules twice daily after meals with warm water.
- Liver Detox Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily after meals with warm water.
1. Indian Echinacea
Echinacea has been used in Ayurveda for stimulating the immune system. This herb is very effective for the liver and lymph nodes. It also helps fight infections such as coughs, tonsillitis, skin inflammations and general infections. Echinacea comes in many different forms. Indian Echinacea are good for promoting the immune system. The parts of the plant i.e. flower, root and leaves all contain immune boosting properties.
2. Yakrit Plihantak Churna
Yakrit Plihantak Churna is an herbal mixture of specific herbs to improve liver function. It helps the liver in clearing away the toxins. It regenerates the liver cells and prevents liver failure. It is useful in liver cirrhosis, jaundice, liver damage due to alcohol, toxins and infection. The herbs increase the bile production and improve liver function. The combination of herbs is an excellent remedy for all liver problems. Yakrit Plihantak Churna is purely an herbal formulation and free from any chemicals.
3. Phyllanthus Niruri
Phyllanthus has been used safely in Ayurveda since ancient times. It is a liver cleanser which may reduce the effect of some modern medicines. Phyllanthus helps to cleanse the liver and also rejuvenates the liver with protection.
4. Liver Detox Formula
Liver Detox Formula combines some of the finest liver stimulating herbs available. The liver plays a key role in the body's natural self defense system. It converts and neutralizes toxins into safe by products. The liver is one of most important organs of the body. A liver failure affects every organ and tissue of the body. Liver has many functions in the body and the most important is the secretion of bile. A malfunctioning liver can have far reaching effects throughout the body. It leads to symptoms like poor digestion, fatigue, bloating and hormonal irregularities. The combination of various herbs in Liver Detox Formula can help to restore and stimulate liver function. It can be taken daily for continued liver support.
To buy Liver Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/liver-care-pack