TREATMENT OF ECZEMA WITH THE HELP OF AYURVEDA
WHAT IS ECZEMA?
Eczema is a condition that affects the skin in infants, children and adults. It is characterized by itching and redness of the skin. It is common in children but it may occur at any age.
Eczema is a disease condition of the skin that can be a cause of major concern in people who have not been able to find a suitable cure for it.
Here we talk about a few general lifestyle changes and food habits that can help you to deal with this nagging problem on a long term basis.
WHAT FOODS CAN BE EATEN IN CASE OF ECZEMA?
If you are not allergic to nuts then include at least two to three types of nuts every day in your diet. Nuts are a source of many essential fatty acids including the omega-3 fatty acids which are absolutely essential for keeping the skin healthy. Walnuts, Almonds and Pistachio are some of the good options.
Increase intake of fruits rich in Vitamin C and bioflavonoids as these are essential sources of antioxidants.
Interestingly, not only citrus fruits have vitamins in plenty, but baked potatoes and kiwis also have bioflavonoids in them.
Up to 5 g of bioflavonoids and vitamin C can be taken every day while dealing with an eczematous condition.
VEGETABLES AND OTHER PLANT PRODUCTS
Cabbage, Carrots, Chamomile, sandalwood, camphor and coconut oil are some of the preferred products that provide relief in patients of atopic dermatitis.
Milk is considered to have properties that increase vitality in the human beings.
In diseases like atopic dermatitis, the immune system is usually weak, which indicates a subdued vital force in such individuals.
Therefore, increased intake of milk and regular incorporation of its products in the right way can prove to be very beneficial in the treatment of Eczema.
AYURVEDIC POINT OF VIEW FOR ECZEMA
According to Ayurveda, all skin diseases have been grouped under "Kushtha roga" in which, different kinds of skin conditions have been discussed in detail. All in all, there are 18 types of kushtha rogas described in Ayurveda.
All types of skin diseases according to Ayurveda occur because of a vitiation of the doshas (body energies), the dhatus (body tissues) and the malas (body's waste).
WHAT NOT TO DO IF YOU WANT TO KEEP A CHECK ON ECZEMA?
- Avoid foods that are difficult to digest or are too loaded with fats. What happens in such a condition is that the body is not able to digest the food properly leading to vitiation of all the three doshas (body energies – Vata, Pitta and Kapha) in the body.
- Avoid excess fatty food intake, junk food, food products that are very spicy and sour.
- Besides, one should also refrain from a few food products and combinations which make one more prone for skin diseases. Avoid such food combinations (Viruddha Aahara in Ayurveda):-
- Yoghurt consumption at night.
- Heated honey and heated Yoghurt etc.
- Avoid non-vegetarian food items as they are also considered to induce a flare up of the condition in many patients.
WHAT YOU CAN DO AT HOME TO MANAGE ECZEMA?
- MANAGE STRESS – Stress and anxiety supposedly worsen eczematous conditions and should be managed accordingly.
- WEAR SKIN FRIENDLY CLOTHES - Prefer soft fabrics like cotton which may not cause itching or flaring up of skin.
- AVOID DRY AND WINDY ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS - In Atopic dermatitis the patient is usually troubled with excessive dryness of the skin for this an optimum level of humidity can be maintained at home by installing air humidifiers.
- AVOID EXCESSIVE USE OF SOAPS AND BODY WASHES - Use mild soaps for bathing and make sure they are completely washed off from the body. However, mild soaps can be used in moderation.
- KEEP YOUR SKIN HYDRATED - As dryness is a prime feature in the development of atopic dermatitis, drink ample amounts of water and apply moisturizer as and when required.
- AVOID EXPOSURE TO SUN - Excessive sun exposure can cause skin damage and sun burns and may worsen an already worn out skin of a patient of eczema. Invest in a good sunscreen if you need to work for long hours under the sun.
- IDENTIFY THE AGGRAVATING FACTORS - Eczema has no specific triggers in general, as they may vary from person to person. Allergies from food products, dust particles, pollens, extreme weather conditions may be some of the aggravating factors which should be identified in each individual and avoided.
- AVOID WOOLEN CLOTHING - Woolen clothing are an absolute no no for people suffering from atopic dermatitis/ eczema.
- AVOID WEARING ACCESSORIES - Too much of accessories worn over the body like spectacles, watches, artificial jewelries etc. may irritate the skin and worsen the rashes hence they should be avoided.
- KEEP THE SKIN COOL – This can be done by applying cold compresses or bandaging the affected area when going out in the sun.
Eczema is an immune system disorder which largely demands regulation on the lifestyle and change in some basic habits than just medication. By following these simple steps it becomes way easier to fight with this condition without having to dope your body with harmful medications and steroids.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR ECZEMA
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Skin Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of eczema. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda.
Dosage / Usage
- Neem Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Gandhak Rasayan - 2 tablets twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Manjishtha Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Nirgundi Oil - As directed by physician.
- Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar - As directed by physician.
1. Neem Capsules
Standardized extract of Neem (Azadirachta indica) is used to prepare Neem capsules that possess all the medicinal properties of neem. These capsules help to treat any kind of skin ailment like psoriasis, eczema, ringworm and other infectious and non-infectious skin diseases. These capsules are full of medicinal properties just like the herb neem, possesses anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antioxidant and detoxifying properties.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
As the name suggests these herbal capsules help to maintain the health of the skin and help to treat ailments like psoriasis, eczema, lichen planus, scabies etc. It helps in maintaining the elasticity, smoothness and firmness of the skin. Strength of hair and nails is also improved by these herbal capsules.
3. Gandhak Rasayan
These herbal tablets help in maintaining the moisturized skin and remove the dead skin cells. Purified sulphur (shuddh gandhak) is used to prepare these herbal tablets. Gandhak rasayan tablets have the property of drawing the moisture from the surrounding atmosphere into the skin, hence preventing dryness. It also helps to treat many skin ailments like acne, leprosy, ringworm, scabies etc.
4. Manjistha Capsules
Rubia cordifolia (Manjistha) is the herb used in standardized form to prepare these herbal capsules. It possesses numerous medicinal properties like they act as a blood purifier, promote early wound healing, treat calcium deficiency, relieve skin ailments, relieve menstrual cramps, detoxify the body, destroy tumors and treat joint pains.
5. Nirgundi Oil
Vitex negundo is the main herb content of this oil that helps in relieving various skin complaints. There are also some other herbs in small proportion in Nirgundi oil to enhance its medicinal quality, like Manjistha, Kalihari and Haridra. It aids in faster wound healing, relieves pain, treats leprosy, inflammation of the skin, lesions on the skin, etc.
6. Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar
Tea tree oil is the main ingredient of this paraben free bathing soap. Aloe is also present in this herbal soap. Both of the herbs help in maintaining healthy and moisturized skin. It prevents infectious diseases of the skin and also helps to treat them. Regular use of this soap prevents dry skin, moisturizes the skin and clears off the infectious lesions present on the skin.
To buy Skin Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/skin-care-pack