Acne is a skin condition which involves appearance of inflamed papules on facial skin, shoulders and sometimes back.
Acne also known as acne vulgaris may manifest in various forms like mild to moderate black heads, white heads, and pimples and in severe cases, inflamed, red big cystic nodules as well.
Usually, white heads and black heads which are milder forms of acne do not need a necessary medical intervention and just need to be managed with proper skin care routine.
The other sever forms of acne which get infected with bacteria like Propionibacterium acnes become very problematic and need medical attention. 3 out of every ten people with acne suffer from severe problems and the condition needs to be properly managed to prevent scarring of skin permanently.
Acne is usually worse in males than in females and is more prominent in dark skinned people than in lighter ones. It is a big cosmetic concern for people and needs proper skin care regimen to hasten its slow cure rate.
Age Group Usually Affected
Acne usually affects people in the age group of 12 to 25 years. This is the time for puberty in both males and females and a big shuffling of the hormonal balance is one of the prime reasons of the development of acne at this age.
Acne may also occur in people older than 25 years of age due to many reasons but the possibility is very less.
Symptoms of Acne
Acne may occur in various forms like white heads, black heads, cysts, nodules etc.
They occur usually in the form of white papules with no superficial opening. They can be alternatively called as closed comedones caused by the clogging of pores on the skin surface with dirt and excessive sebum secretion.
They are usually mild. Most people having acne problems generally have this initial stage of acne only which seldom progresses to painful, nodular cysts having bacterial infections.
Black head is an open comedo. A comedo is an inflamed bulb of the hair follicle with sebum and skin debris trapped inside, it may or may not be infected.
While white heads are closed comedomes, black heads have an opening which appears black due to the accumulation of dead skin cells or debris, bacteria and oils.
Rare Causes of Acne
Many rare causes of acne include hormonal imbalances like in case of poly cystic ovarian disease in women. Sometimes, there is an over secretion of the male hormones such as testosterone and DHEAs, which results in the appearance of acne over face, chest and back.
Things to Avoid if you Have Acne
With acne, there are many things and habits which may aggravate a mild acne problem, these include:-
- Oily, greasy make - up, which may clog pores and lead to skin infections.
- A few hormonal contraceptive pills may unnecessarily aggravate the problem.
- Picking and squeezing of the acne spots. It may aggravate inflammation and cause permanent scar marks.
- Wearing tight clothes like head bands, caps and tight undergarments. This again may causes undue accumulation of sebum and acne formation.
- Medicines containing phenytoin and steroids are known to aggravate and even precipitate acne sometimes.
- Many believe that acne could be a result of over consumption of sugar and milk products. While it is not a proven fact yet, but it's definitely worth a try merely for the sake of good health.
Some Good Habits to be Adapted in Acne Prone People
- Wash face only once to twice a day and not more. It is worthless to wash your face again and again as it may not hasten acne healing but it definitely will cause unnecessary skin irritation and dryness.
- Prefer antiseptic facial washes
- Use a water based - moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated and free from excess oil secretion.
Herbal Remedies for Acne by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Skin Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of acne. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda.
Dosage / Usage
- Neem Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula - 1 capsule twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Gandhak Rasayan - 2 tablets twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Manjishtha Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Nirgundi Oil - As directed by physician.
- Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar - As directed by physician.
1. Neem Capsules
Standardized extract of Neem (Azadirachta indica) is used to prepare Neem capsules that possess all the medicinal properties of neem. These capsules help to treat any kind of skin ailment like psoriasis, eczema, ringworm and other infectious and non-infectious skin diseases. These capsules are full of medicinal properties just like the herb neem, possesses anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antioxidant and detoxifying properties.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
As the name suggests these herbal capsules help to maintain the health of the skin and help to treat ailments like psoriasis, eczema, lichen planus, scabies etc. It helps in maintaining the elasticity, smoothness and firmness of the skin. Strength of hair and nails is also improved by these herbal capsules.
3. Gandhak Rasayan
These herbal tablets help in maintaining the moisturized skin and remove the dead skin cells. Purified sulphur (shuddh gandhak) is used to prepare these herbal tablets. Gandhak rasayan tablets have the property of drawing the moisture from the surrounding atmosphere into the skin, hence preventing dryness. It also helps to treat many skin ailments like acne, leprosy, ringworm, scabies etc.
4. Manjistha Capsules
Rubia cordifolia (Manjistha) is the herb used in standardized form to prepare these herbal capsules. It possesses numerous medicinal properties like they act as a blood purifier, promote early wound healing, treat calcium deficiency, relieve skin ailments, relieve menstrual cramps, detoxify the body, destroy tumors and treat joint pains.
5. Nirgundi Oil
Vitex negundo is the main herb content of this oil that helps in relieving various skin complaints. There are also some other herbs in small proportion in Nirgundi oil to enhance its medicinal quality, like Manjistha, Kalihari and Haridra. It aids in faster wound healing, relieves pain, treats leprosy, inflammation of the skin, lesions on the skin, etc.
6. Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar
Tea tree oil is the main ingredient of this paraben free bathing soap. Aloe is also present in this herbal soap. Both of the herbs help in maintaining healthy and moisturized skin. It prevents infectious diseases of the skin and also helps to treat them. Regular use of this soap prevents dry skin, moisturizes the skin and clears off the infectious lesions present on the skin.
To buy Skin Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/skin-care-pack