HERBAL REMEDIES FOR SKIN ECZEMA
Eczema is the medical term used for the skin problem due to which the shin gets inflamed or irritated. The most common type of Eczema is known as atopic dermatitis, or atopic Eczema. Atopic refers to a group of diseases with an often inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever. No matter which part of the skin is affected, eczema is almost always itchy. Sometimes the itching will start before the rash appears, but when it does the rash most commonly occurs on the face, back of the knees, wrists, hands, or feet. It may also affect other areas as well. Affected area usually appears very dry, thickened or scaly. In fair-skinned people, these areas may initially appear reddish and then turn brown. Among darker- skinned people, eczema can affect pigmentation, making the affected area lighter or darker. Eczema, which is also called atopic dermatitis, is a very common skin problem. It may appear in infants, later in childhood, or in adulthood. Once it gets underway, it tends not to go quickly away. Herbal remedies are very beneficial in Eczema treatment. Specific herbal supplements give relief from various symptoms related to eczema naturally and without side effects.
Various Types of Eczema
- Atopic dermatitis - a chronic skin diseases characterized by itching, inflamed skin.
- Contact eczema – a localized reaction that includes redness, itching and burning.
- Allergic contact eczema – a red, itchy, weepy reaction
- Seborrheic eczema – a form of skin inflammation of unknown cause that presents as yellowish, oily, scaly patches of skin on the scalp, face and other parts of the body.
- Nummular eczema – coin- shaped patches or irritated skin- most commonly on the arms, back and lower legs.
- Neurodermatitis – scaly patches of skin on the head, lower legs, wrists or forearms caused by a localized itch.
- Stasis dermatitis – a skin irritation on the lower legs, generally related to circulatory problems.
- Dyshidrotic eczema – irritation of the skin on the palms of hands and the soles of the feet.
Natural Remedies for Skin Eczema
- Organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil is better than those pricey creams.
- Aloe Vera gel, especially when mixed with vitamin E oil, is a useful natural remedy for skin eczema also any type of skin disorder.
- Make a strong brew of chamomile tea from fresh dried herbs by steeping for 15 minutes minimally. Apply to the eczema area with gauze for 20 minutes.
- Apply vitamin E oil, especially natural D-alpha tocopherol with mixed natural tocopherol. You can open gel capsules for the oil or gel in it. Avoiding synthetic vitamin E oil is tricky. Avoid vitamin E acetate.
- Ten drops of gentian tincture before each meal helps the digestive system eliminate toxins that can irritate the skin. Take as often as needed. It is useful natural remedy for skin eczema.
- Flower power: Make a tea of calendula, a marigold flower, with five drops of lavender essential oil added, and then apply to the affected area twice a day until the irritation is relieved.
- Cut thin slices of a whole organic cucumber and allow the slices to soak for at least two hours. Filter the liquid and apply it with a clean cloth or gauze where needed.
- Peel off three organic carrots and boil them till they get soft or properly boiled. Mash the carrots until you get a smooth paste, and then apply it when it cools down to the normal temperature to the affected areas for 15 minutes. Rinse with cool water when finished.
- Mix a tablespoon of food grade ground juniper berry, with a tablespoon of sage and a tablespoon of thyme into a cup of boiling water, cover and let stand for five or more minutes. Drink the whole cup after your main meal.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting, rough and scratchy clothing.
- Avoid scratching the rash. If you can't stop yourself from scratching, cover the area with a dressing.
- Avoid physical and mental stress. Eating right and light activity and adequate sleep will help you stay healthy, which can help prevent flares.
- The herb gotu kola, used externally, can help to ease itchy skin conditions. Look for a commercial cream or extract. If you use the extract, dilute it first (5 parts water to 1 part extract). Alternatively, you can make a cup of the tea, soak a cloth in it, and use the cloth as a compress. To make the tea, steep 1 teaspoon of the dried herb in 1 cup of hot water. Steep for 10 minutes, then strain.
- Eat plenty of essential fatty acids these are found naturally in walnuts, wild salmon and sardines.
- Keep your baths and showers under 10 minutes. In fact, don't bathe everyday if you don't have to. Eczema tends to get worse when skin is dry, and excessive bathing washes away the protective oil that keeps your skin moist.
- After you bathe a heavy cream-based moisturizer to be applied to guard the skin against irritants. Avoid water based lotions, as well as lotions that contain fragrance.
- Take care of your liver. Liver dysfunction causes eczema and every type of allergies.
- Use Shea nut body butter and shower cream which has moisturizing and healing properties.
- Jojoba oil is a light, non-greasy and a versatile natural remedy for eczema.
- Olive oil can be used on the skin and also rubbed onto the scalp for scalp eczema to reduce the scaling.
- Evening Primrose Oil taken internally in high doses as been known to reduce eczema symptoms. This can be expensive, so you may want to try a good quality essential fatty acid supplement instead.
- A paste of raw strawberries applied to your eczema can reduce the pain, redness and inflammation.
- You can apply directly to your face include cabbage leaf and grated raw potatoes.
- Many people who suffer with eczema have found that honey will reduce eczema symptoms. This is a bit sticky but many people swear by it.
Herbal Remedies for Skin Eczema by Planet Ayurveda
As ayurvedic concept the pitta dosha along with other two doshas kapha and vata gets aggravated which results to skin problems.
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Skin Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of skin eczema. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda.
Dosage / Usage
- Neem Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Gandhak Rasayan - 2 tablets twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Manjishtha Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Nirgundi Oil - As directed by physician.
- Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar - As directed by physician.
1. Neem Capsules
Standardized extract of Neem (Azadirachta indica) is used to prepare Neem capsules that possess all the medicinal properties of neem. These capsules help to treat any kind of skin ailment like psoriasis, eczema, ringworm and other infectious and non-infectious skin diseases. These capsules are full of medicinal properties just like the herb neem, possesses anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antioxidant and detoxifying properties.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
As the name suggests these herbal capsules help to maintain the health of the skin and help to treat ailments like psoriasis, eczema, lichen planus, scabies etc. It helps in maintaining the elasticity, smoothness and firmness of the skin. Strength of hair and nails is also improved by these herbal capsules.
3. Gandhak Rasayan
These herbal tablets help in maintaining the moisturized skin and remove the dead skin cells. Purified sulphur (shuddh gandhak) is used to prepare these herbal tablets. Gandhak rasayan tablets have the property of drawing the moisture from the surrounding atmosphere into the skin, hence preventing dryness. It also helps to treat many skin ailments like acne, leprosy, ringworm, scabies etc.
4. Manjistha Capsules
Rubia cordifolia (Manjistha) is the herb used in standardized form to prepare these herbal capsules. It possesses numerous medicinal properties like they act as a blood purifier, promote early wound healing, treat calcium deficiency, relieve skin ailments, relieve menstrual cramps, detoxify the body, destroy tumors and treat joint pains.
5. Nirgundi Oil
Vitex negundo is the main herb content of this oil that helps in relieving various skin complaints. There are also some other herbs in small proportion in Nirgundi oil to enhance its medicinal quality, like Manjistha, Kalihari and Haridra. It aids in faster wound healing, relieves pain, treats leprosy, inflammation of the skin, lesions on the skin, etc.
6. Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar
Tea tree oil is the main ingredient of this paraben free bathing soap. Aloe is also present in this herbal soap. Both of the herbs help in maintaining healthy and moisturized skin. It prevents infectious diseases of the skin and also helps to treat them. Regular use of this soap prevents dry skin, moisturizes the skin and clears off the infectious lesions present on the skin.
To buy Skin Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/skin-care-pack.