HERBAL REMEDIES FOR OSTEOARTHRITIS
Osteoarthritis is a condition that affects your joints, causing them to become stiff and painful. Osteoarthritis is caused by the breakdown of cartilage in one or more joints. Cartilage is composed of 65 to 80 percent water, collagen (fibrous protein), and proteoglycans (proteins and sugars which interweave with collagen) and chondrocytes (cells that produce cartilage).Cartilage is a hard but slippery tissue which serves as a cushion between the bones of joints, allowing the bones to glide over one another. Osteoarthritis is also known as degenerative joint disease. Cartilage in joints breaks down, and osteoarthritis symptoms begin to occur. Osteoarthritis is most commonly found in the: knees, hips, hands and fingers and spine. Elbows, shoulders and ankles can be affected by osteoarthritis, but this occurs less frequently. Osteoarthritis comes on slowly. For many, the first signs are joints that ache after physical work or exercise. As the disease progresses, other most common symptoms include: Pain in a joint, Swelling or tenderness in one or more joints, Stiffness after periods of inactivity, such as sleeping or sitting. Crunching feeling or sound of bone rubbing on bone (called crepitus) when the joint is used. Joint pain is the primary symptom associated with osteoarthritis. Any joint can be affected by the disease. Early osteoarthritis symptoms typically involve a single joint. When only one joint is affected, the condition is referred to as monoarthritis. As symptoms first appear, it is important to distinguish joint pain and swelling caused by osteoarthritis from similar symptoms associated with other types of arthritis. Herbal Remedies for osteoarthritis may reduce the joints pain naturally.
Natural Remedies for Osteoarthritis
- Take 10 pieces of almonds and soak them in water overnight. In the morning peel them off, take 5 cloves of garlic and grind almonds and garlic together to form a paste. Apply this paste on the affected joints. This is one of the effected natural remedy for osteoarthritis and prevents pain and stiffness during movement effectively. Use freshly prepared paste and one can take this remedy twice in a day for quicker and better results.
- In case of severe pain and stiffness applying paste of cayenne pepper relieves pain immediately.
- Consuming a teaspoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey mixed with a cup of warm water as first thing in the morning is another one of the effective natural remedy for osteoarthritis.
- Preparing regular cup of tea by adding a slice of grated ginger to it and consuming few cups everyday also works well for relieving pain and stiffness in the joints due to osteoarthritis.
- Garlic works well for treating the problem of joint pain and swelling and provides couple of effective natural remedies for osteoarthritis.
- Consume the three cloves of garlic on an empty stomach in the morning with water this works wonderfully for relieving pain and stiffness in the joints caused by osteoarthritis.
- Add a teaspoon of honey with a teaspoon of garlic juice and consume once or twice in a day for relieving the symptoms of the problem.
- Paste of onion applied topically on the painful joints also relieves pain and swelling.
- Paste made by mixing warm water and turmeric powder on topical application also relieves pain and swelling.
- Drinking a glass of warm milk after adding a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it in the night before going to bed is another very effective natural remedy for osteoarthritis.
- Take a tablespoon of mustard oil and heat it on a burner, add few pieces of camphor to it and let it dissolve completely. When oil is bearably warm massage the affected joints with it. It is one of the oldest remedy for osteoarthritis.
- If pain and stiffness is severe cover the joints with a towel soaked in hot water after massaging the joints with the mixture of mustard oil and camphor.
- Simple hot and cold compresses are also effective natural remedy for osteoarthritis as these relieve pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints.
- Add two cups of Epsom salt in tub full of warm water and soak it in the tub for 15 to 20 minutes every day, this provides relief from morning sickness.
- Take sage, rosemary, thyme and mint in equal quantities and add a tablespoon of this mixture in a cup of boiling water. Simmer the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes and later strain and consume. This is an effective remedy for osteoarthritis.
- Warm water bath twice in a day helps in reducing pain and stiffness in the joints and also reduces strain caused during the day on muscles and bones.
- If one is overweight then reducing weight shall be the first priority, the best way for doing so, walking, jogging, swimming and aerobics are very good for reducing weight and also for improving joint strength.
- Yoga provides few effective cures to the problems, and exercises to maintain joints mobility and health of the joints.
- Avoid too much intake of acidic, greasy and spicy foods and alcohol, tobacco and coffee shall be strictly avoided.
- Proper relaxation and sufficient rest is necessary for avoiding problem from aggravating.
Herbal Remedies for Osteoarthritis
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Joint Support Pack for ayurvedic treatment of osteoarthritis. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda.
- Bone Support - 2 Capsules twice daily.
- Curcumin Capsules - 2 Capsules twice daily.
- Joint Aid Plus - 2 Capsules twice daily.
- Coral Calcium Complex - 1 Capsule twice daily.
1. Bone Support
Bone support capsule has natural calcium extracts obtained from the natural, herbal sources of calcium. Each capsule contains standardized extract of herbs like asthishrinkhala (Cissus quadrangularis), Shudh Laksha (Laccifera lacca), Sahijan (Moringa oleifera), Arjun (Terminalia arjuna) and mineral source, Praval pishti (Corallium rubrum).
These extracts stimulate increased absorption of calcium from the blood into the body. The hormonal control that helps in calcium absorption in the body is also influenced by regular use of this capsule.
In case of osteoarthritis, Capsule bone support can be taken as a great health supplement to support joint mobility and minimize loss of synovial fluid which leads to swelling and inflammation at the site of joint.
2. Curcumin Capsules
Planet Ayurveda's Curcumin capsules are prepared using the pure extract of Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Curcumin is one of a great herb that not only supports healthy joints but also a great way to maintain healthy muscles too. This herb is good for the overall health of the body.
3. Joint Aid plus
Joint aid plus contains standardized extract of Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Shallaki (Boswellia serrate), Ardarak (Zingiber officianale), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera).
These capsules help in dealing with all kinds of joint conditions that cause any kind of skeletal problem in the body. Regular use of this product helps in the maintenance of joint flexibility and lubrication so as to minimize wear and tear in patients of osteoarthritis.
Besides this, the capsules act as a great source of dietary nutrition for the bones and joints in the body
Planet ayurveda's joint aid plus capsules are prepared by using pure standardized extracts of wonderful herbs that are mentioned in the ancient texts of Ayurveda. This product is an excellent one for the maintenance of healthy bones and joints. The ingredients of these capsules are Nirgundi (Vitex nigundo), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Ashwagandha (Withania sominfera).
These herbs are well explained below:
1. Nirgundi (Vitex nigundo) : Nirgundi, also known as, Vitex nigundo is a small tree that can grow up to a height of 8 m. The bark of this tree is reddish brown in color with the white to blue colored flowers that are 10 to 20 cm in length. The fruit of the nirgundi herb is black or purple in color.
2. Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) : Boswellia serrata is a plant which produces salai, known as Shallaki, in Sanskrit. In India, it is commonly known as 'Salai guggul'.
3. Guggul (Commiphora mukul) : Guggul, also known as Commiphora mukul, is a plant that grows up to a height of 4 m with thin papery bark and the branches are thorny. The leaves of this plant are trifoliate in nature and the flowers are of reddish pink color.
4. Sonth (Zingiber officinale) : Zingiber officinale is another name of sonth, which is commonly known as ginger. This herbaceous plant grows up to a height of 1 m. The leaves of this herb are green in color while the flowers are of yellow color. This herb is widely used as a spice also.
5. Ashwagandha (Withania sominfera) : Ashwagandha is commonly known as Indian ginseng or Withania somnifera. This plant can grow up to a height of 35-75 cm. The flowers of this plant are small and green in color while the fruit is orange to red in color.
4. Coral Calcium Complex
Coral calcium capsule from the house of Planet Ayurveda is a combination of natural plant and vegetable extracts that effectively help in sustained and efficient calcium absorption by the body. These capsules are purely vegetarian and made from the best quality and purified coral and plant extracts which are rich in many minerals such as Phosphorus, Magnesium, Silica, Vitamin D etc.
All these minerals together help to support healthy bones and joint support in the body. In patients of osteoarthritis, these capsules help in maintaining bone density thereby reducing bone fragility. It also helps to diminish chances of bone fractures that occur due to reduced bone mass in old age.
To buy Joint Support Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/joint-support-pack.