Tonsils are the two lymph nodes located on each side of the back of the throat that functions as a defense mechanism, helps to prevent infection from entering the rest of the body. When the tonsils themselves become infected, the condition is called tonsillitis. Tonsillitis occurs due to infection that can be caused by either bacteria or viruses. Tonsillitis can develop in people of all ages.
Types of Tonsillitis:-
- Acute tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils caused by one of several types of bacterias or viruses.
- Subacute tonsillitis is caused by the bacterium Actinomyces.
- Chronic tonsillitis is a persistent infection of the tonsils and can cause tonsil stone formation.
Tonsillitis can be caused by a virus such as the common cold or by a bacterial infection such as strep throat. Children come into close contact with others exposing them to a variety of viruses and bacteria. This makes them particularly vulnerable to the germs that cause tonsillitis.
Bacterial and Viral Infections can Cause Tonsillitis.
Some of the Common Causes are:-
- Streptococcus bacteria
- Influenza virus
- Epstein-Barr virus
- Parainfluenza viruses
- Herpes simplex virus
- Fungal and parasitic infections
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
- Congestion, runny nose
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Red, swollen tonsils with patches of pus
- Pain or difficulty swallowing
- Loss of voice or muffled voice
- Abdominal pain
- Coughing up blood
Herbs for Tonsillitis
Echinacea purifies the blood and enhances the immune system which targets the lymphatic system. It may help reduce inflammation, lessen swelling - pain in the tonsils and stimulate white blood cells which attack pathogens. Echinacea should only be used during the duration of the illness. The herb is available in both dried and liquid extract form.
Garlic is an age-old herbal medicine used to strengthen the immune system. It has high levels of antioxidants as well as antibacterial and antiviral compounds which makes it effective for fighting colds, flu and tonsillitis. An effective way to use garlic for treating tonsillitis is by making an herbal tea. Boil two cloves of garlic in one cup of water for 5 minutes and simmer for another10 minutes. Strain the garlic. Cool to taste and add honey. Sip throughout the day for pain relief.
3. Holy Basil
Holy Basil is common household plant in India which is known as Tulsi. It is packed with plenty of medicinal properties like antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and immune boosting. Basil leaves decoction twice a day serves wonderful and result giving home remedy at home and it's been in practice by almost all Indian people.
Turmeric is another magical herb explained in Ayurveda for so many amazing properties. Curcumin is herbal standardized extracts of turmeric that works and has got properties like anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, natural analgesic etc. It can be given with honey or warm milk for better results.
5. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is helpful for coating mucus membranes in the throat and digestive tract. Slippery elm creates a thin film of mucus or mucilage that protects and soothes irritated and tender throat membranes. The herb is also available in lozenge form and in dried bulk quantities. A soothing liquid porridge prepared by mixing the dried herb with warm water and honey is effective to curb tonsillitis.
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
Some Home Remedies can also Help Soothe the Symptoms of Tonsillitis:-
- Take lots of rest. This will provide rest to the throat, which will give ample time for the inflammation of the tonsils to reduce further.
- Have fluids and liquid type foods. This will be helpful since your child will have difficulty in swallowing during this acute condition.
- Have loads of water. This will help to prevent dehydration and dryness effectively.
- Gargle with warm water. Add a pinch of salt to the water. This is effective in treating the infection and provides relief to the sore throat condition.
- Make a mixture using sugar, ginger and honey. Drink the mixture. It will also provide tremendous relief aiding to get rid of the stressful conditions of the throat, inflammation and pain.
- Make a solution using warm water and honey. Gargle with the mixture. This will provide relief from the painful and stiff conditions of tonsils.
- Hot honey milk is also an effective home remedy. You can add some paste of ginger to the solution. This provides soothing action to the patients.
- Vegetable juices made out of carrots, cucumbers and beets is also one of the best home remedies for tonsillitis. Drink juice made from these three vegetables at least once a day.