Stunted growth is a process of failure to reach linear growth potential as a result of suboptimal health or nutritional conditions or both. The reasons behind stunting are associated with poor socio-economic conditions and increased risk of frequent and early exposure to adverse conditions such as illness and inappropriate feeding practices. Stunted growth or Growth failure is a term used to describe a growth rate that is below the appropriate growth speed for that particular age.
Causes of Stunted Growth
- Familial short stature
- Constitutional growth delay or delayed puberty
- Chronic diseases that involve the nervous, circulatory or gastrointestinal systems
- Systemic disorders involving the liver, kidneys, lungs or connective tissue may also be a cause
- Psychosocial dwarfism which often occurs in association with emotional deprivation and/or child abuse and neglect
- Genetic syndromes such as Turner syndrome, Down syndrome, Noonan syndrome, Russell-Silver syndrome and Prader-Willi syndrome
- Endocrine or hormonal causes including thyroid hormone deficiency (hypothyroidism), growth hormone deficiency or other hormone disorders
Symptoms of Stunted Growth
- The child's height, weight, and head circumference do not progress normally according to standard growth charts.
- Physical skills, such as rolling over, sitting up, standing, or walking, are slow to develop.
- Social and mental skills are delayed.
- The development of secondary sexual characteristics (for example men's facial hair, women's breasts) is delayed in adolescents.
How Ayurveda is Useful to Deal with Stunted Growth?
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine that uses the inherent power of herbs to help diseases in a natural and healthy way. In Ayurveda, it is believed that the body is controlled by three different energies which are vata, pitta, and kapha. These energies balances human body and any imbalance in these energies may disorient the body system which may lead to improper growth in the child during their development and that may cause stunted growth. The herbs help in a natural way to prevent and also to help stunted growth. The Ayurvedic herbs for growth retardation help achieve optimum growth in a natural, herbal way.
- Abhyangam (Full body massage with herbal medicated oils)
- Vasthy (Herbal medicated enema)
- Nasyam (Herbal medicated nasal drops)
Ayurveda often has no side effects as it is completely natural. Rather than patient gets side benefits. The are created by mixing natural herbs and do not cause any adverse reactions. Ayurveda treatments have grown rapidly in popularity over the years.Herbs like Ashwagandha helps to increase height as it contains mineral that helps bone density and skeletal system. Mix two tablespoons of Ashwagandha powder in a glass of warm cow's milk. Add jeggery according to the taste, mix well.
Drink it every night Madhurika, Methika, Dhanaka (fennel, fenugreek, coriander) etc. are useful to improve digestion and metabolism. These helps to deal with symptoms like bloating, acidity, burning etc. and improve liver functions so that metabolism gets corrected and herbs get more absorbed in the system to show the results. Pistis like Prawal Pisti, Mukta Pisti are natural calcium compounds that increases calcium content in bones and help to increase their size effectively.Rasayana therapy (which enhances immune system) restores the strength of all tissues. It helps slowing down the ageing process, enhances memory, improves the functioning of vital organs and nourishes all the tissues.
Ayurveda also Emphasizes Yoga, Exercise, Sleep, Balanced Diet and Nutrition
Diet and nutrition play a vital role to develop the body by stimulating the human growth hormones. Balanced diet comprising of essential nutrients like zinc, manganese, vitamin C, D protein, potassium, calcium and phosphorus provides the required stimulus for increasing height. A daily diet should contain fresh leafy greens and colored vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products, all in their proper proportions. Drink plenty of water. Avoid the excess intake of fried, oily, salty and fast food.
Rest or sleep is a major factor in developing the body structure. Take enough sleep to grow the body tissue or regenerate the hormones. Physical exercise plays a vital role to develop a proper body structure. Regular exercise helps to grow the body, strengthen body muscles and bones. Try stretching, hanging, swimming and bicycling to increase the height naturally. Exercises are very effective to increase height.Yoga activates the body tissue and works for developing them. When it comes to increase height, the Mountain pose, Seated Forward Bend pose, Cobra pose, Wheel pose, Bow pose, Hand under Foot pose, Triangle pose and Surya Namaskar are essential. These yoga poses helps to gain height naturally and effectively.
Planet Ayurveda offers wonderful herbal remedies for the same. It has standardized extracts of best quality herbs in the remedies.
Herbal Remedies like:-
- Ashwagandha Capsules : 2 Capsules twice daily
- Daily Essential Capsules : 1 Capsule twice daily
- Digestion Support Capsules : 2 Capsules twice daily
- Coral Calcium Capsules : 1 Capsule twice daily
Some of effective and result giving that help to increase healthy height by nourishing body tissues, improving circulation, correcting body metabolism and nourishing bones.