Your Body Type / Prakriti is Kapha
Ayurveda, the ancient medical science focuses on three major energies, which are known as the tri-energies. One of them is Kapha. Kapha mainly decides the body structure of the individuals. It is that energy, which takes hold of all the cells as a mass and helps to form the spines, bones, muscles and fats. The major function of this element is protection of the body. It takes care of lubrication of the human structure both physically and psychologically as well. It also helps in the formation of the 7 major body tissues of the human beings, namely, blood, nutritive fluids, fat, bones, marrow, reproductive tissues and muscles. It also helps in controlling the growth, lubrication and weight of the lungs and joints.
Characteristics of Kapha
Some of the major characteristics of Kapha element are the following:
Physical Characteristics of Kapha
The physical traits of people with Kapha characteristics are the following:
- Wonderful physical stamina and endurance
- Strong built
- Thick hair
- Soft and large eyes
- Radiant and smooth skin
- Sound sleep
- Proper digestion
Emotional Characteristics of Kapha
The individuals with characteristics of Kapha tend to enjoy life with full enthusiasm and high spirit. They lead a routine life comfortably.
Characteristics in Individuals with Kapha Traits, if the Trait goes out of Balance
An individual with out of balance kapha traits exhibit the following characteristics:
- Excessive sleeping
- Tend to hold on things or relationships even after they are not necessary
- Resist changes
- Suffer from chronic disorders as well like diabetes, asthma, depression
Dietary Recommendation for Individuals with Kapha Characteristics
Ayurveda states that every individual must concentrate on the diet and food items to be consumed to balance the impact of doshas or pacifying it from becoming aggravated. Kapha generally is cold, heavy and oily. So, light, warm and dry food items are generally preferred. Also, foods, bitter, pungent and astringent in taste are most effective. Avoid foods with sour, salty and sweet in taste.
- Reduce the consumption of dairy products, which enhance the aggravating properties of Kapha. Very less quantity of low-fat yogurt, milk and ghee is recommended.
- Go for a liquid diet once weekly. Consume juices of fresh fruits and vegetables and pureed soup.
- Consume honey since it acts wonderfully to pacify Kapha. Avoid other sweeteners, which enhance the Kapha doshas. This further leads to problem like allergies, cold, lethargy and sinus.
- Apples, cranberries, pomegranates, apricots and other lighter fruits are generally recommended. While, pineapples, avocadoes, peaches, oranges, coconuts, date, melons, figs and other heavier fruits must be avoided.
- Chicken, eggs, turkey and seafood are suggested for individuals to maintain a balance for the individuals with Kapha traits. Red meat shall be avoided completely to maintain the balance.
- Pungent spices like cayenne, pepper and ginger can be included in the diet. Salt must be avoided completely.
- Individuals can apply very little amount of extra virgin almond oil, ghee, olive oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil and mustard oil.
- People with Kapha characteristic favor corn, barley, rye, buckwheat and millet. They must decrease the consumption of wheat, oats and rice.
- All vegetables except the ones, which are juicy and sweet like zucchini, tomatoes, sweet potatoes must be consumed.
- Reduce the intake of all nuts.
- Consume ginger tea, which has a stimulating action on the process of digestion and the whole metabolic process of the body.
Tips to Balance Kapha
- Keep yourselves warm and get away from dampness. Individuals are highly sensitive to cold and get benefit from heat.
- Follow a regular routine. Do not take naps in between in the morning.
- Perform a daily dry massage to maintain a balanced process of circulation in the body.
- Cleanliness is another important suggestion for individuals with Kapha characteristic. Keep home, car and office clean and dispose of all those things, which are not required at all.
- Carry out exercises regularly. This helps to prevent the accumulation of harmful toxins from the body. Practice swimming, running, aerobics and bicycling. Dance to the rhythm of music.
- Consume spices, which have stimulating aromas like cinnamon, cloves, juniper, and camphor.
- Make use of bright and warm colors like red, yellow and orange.