Natural Treatment for Anal Fistula
Fistula is an abnormal tract or a channel which has opening inside anal canal and the other one at outer surface of the skin around anus.
The fistula can be made up of one opening or it may have multiple openings.
Although, it takes a lot of effort to treat fistula but Ayurveda has a lot to offer in its treatment and management.
How Anal Fistula occurs?
Anal fistula are originated in anal glands present in the layers (external and internal) anal sphincter that drains into anal canal. If these anal glands get blocked due to chronic constipation, continuous pressure, poor hygiene and infection. It can lead to formation of pus in these glands.
This abscess formation can lead to pressure, pain, redness, soreness and ultimately opens up in the outer skin around anal canal. When the abscess keeps on leaking all the time, it causes a lot of trouble to the patient.
The area can be inflamed and painful, which makes it a very dreadful disorder.
Ayurvedic description of Anal Fistula
Ancient Ayurvedic surgeon and also Father of modern surgery called "Sushruta" first described anal fistula in his treatise called "Sushrut Samhita".
This ancient text has explained how fistulas are made and how they can be treated using natural ways and various treatments with herbs.
In his book, he explained that there are 5 variants of fistulas on the basis of their prominent doshas, their signs and symptoms.
The shape, size also matters in the classification of these fistulas. All fistulas have 1 thing in common i.e. pain, pus formation, discomfort and fistula tract.
What are the various causes of Fistula formation?
Main reason for formation of fistula is usually anal abscess due to any cause. Usually the cause of abscess is infection inside an anal gland. The abscess grows bigger and tries to find out a path outside. This leads to formation of an external opening called Fistula in ano.
If the abscess is completely healed or dried up by using anti-biotic (preferably natural ones like Curcumin or Triphala Guggul tablets and natural stool softeners like Vara Churna. Local application of Nirgundi oil also helps to keep the area infection free.
The fistula is usually not healed because of indiscriminate use of antibiotics for long term.
It is very important to keep the area clean, usually by sitz bath and drain the pus regularly. The herb Curcumin (from Turmeric) is nature's best anti-biotic, anti-inflammatory, pain relieving, anti-septic supplement which helps to heal the fistula.
Many other causes of fistula are
- Painful sore in or around anal region.
- Growth of an ulcer in anal canal.
- Complication of surgery.
- Complicated piles leading to infection and abscess formation.
- Injury in Anal canal or area leading to abscess formation.
- Long sitting hours leading to sweating in the area, infection and then abscess formation.
- A congenital abnormality.
- Inflammation of intestines like ulcerative colitis, IBS, disturbed digestive system, episodes of intermittent diarrhea and constipation. Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are also sometimes the reasons for formation of abscess and fistula formation.
What are the various symptoms of Anal Fistula?
- Pain and Swelling in anal region
- Itching inside or around the anus
- Pus and discharge from the external opening
- The discharge can be bloody or full of pus
- Irritation in anal area
- Sometimes, fever when abscess is high in quantity
How to diagnose an anal fistula?
- Diagnosis is made by the doctor on physical examination. The examination can be anoscopy or sigmoidoscopy.
- The external opening is seen by the doctor and a diagnosis is made.
- The area is tender, inflamed, red and painful to touch.
- There can be redness and discharge of pus.
- Sometimes a probe is used to explore the fistula to know the openings and extent of fistula.
Treatment of anal fistula in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic science is an ancient healing science. Ayurveda offers many effective ways to treat anal fistula. There is totally natural approach to cure the fistula naturally without using any chemicals or artificial surgical methods.
So, it is possible to heal the fistula without surgery. There are certain ayurvedic herbs which work as natural antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, pain reliever. The effects are seen in a short period of time i.e. within 10-15 days of using these herbs. When the pus dries up, the external opening is not seen any more within 1 month of using these Ayurvedic medicines to cure fistula.
The herbs are Curcumin Capsules (Containing standardized extract of Turmeric which is standardized to yield 95 % curcumin), Triphala Guggul tablets (The Guggul is powerful pain reliever and anti-inflammatory in nature).
Vara Churna (an effective laxative and stool softener made from three herbs called (Amla) Emblica officinalis, (Haritaki) Terminalia chebula and (Bibhitaki) Terminalia bellirica. The Emblica officinalis is world's Richest Source of Natural Vitamin-C and others are rich in natural fiber.
What is Kshar Sutra (A medicated Seton used in Ayurveda for anal fistula)?
Sometimes in very rare and very complicated cases, the Ayurvedic method of surgery is followed. The Seton is purely organic, natural thread which is processed into herbs like Achyranthes aspera ash, Calotropis gigantic, Aloe, Euphorbia ligularia and others. These alkali ashes are coated on Seton to cut through the fistula to cause quick healing.
This method is used in complicated non-healing fistulas which are not even healed by surgery or by simple plastic Seton.
The herbs described in the Fistula Care Pack (Curcumin capsules, Vara churna, Triphala Guggul tablets and Nirgundi oil) helps to get rid of fistula in most of the cases. So there is no need to go even for Kshar sutra treatment.
Dosage / Usage:-
- Triphala Guggul: 2 tablets thrice daily with plain water after meals.
- Curcumin Capsule: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Nirgundi Oil: Apply locally over affected area twice daily.
- Vara Churna: 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meals.
1. Triphala Guggul
These tablets are prepared from ingredients like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) & Shuddh Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) that deals with symptoms associated to anal fistula problem.
2. Curcumin Capsules
The capsules are prepared from standardized extract of herb Curcuma longa. This herb shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic & anti-spasmodic actions.
3. Nirgundi Oil
This herbal oil is prepared from ingredients like Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Kalihari (Gloriosa superba) & Tila oil (Sesamum indicum) that heals fistula tract naturally.
4. Vara Churna
This herbal churna is prepared from herb like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) & Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) that relives constipation related to anal fistula.
To buy Fistula Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/fistula-care-pack