Nirgundi Oil (Vitex negundo) - Benefits, Uses and Properties
The word pain comes from the Latin name - Poena, means a fine or penalty. Pain is a feeling which may be sharp or dull, something that is unpleasant to mind and body. This may be mild, moderate or even severe. It is a feeling that is triggered in nervous system. One can feel localized pain like hand, foot, back, chest etc. Today's hectic schedule has made life so miserable and it would not be wrong to say that life is pathetic these days almost for all.
Fortunately, there are many ways to treat pain in many ways. If we talk about Ayurveda, yes it's a boon to mankind. This is the safest way to deal with various health problems. Nature is being provided with wonderful herbs and we are enough lucky to use them.
Ayurveda says that balance of three doshas of body – Vata, Pitta and Kapha is health and vitiation leads to various health problems. If we talk about pain, it is mentioned as shoola in ayurvedic books by authors. That is mainly due to vata vitiation in the body. So where vitiation of vata, pain is the foremost symptom that occurs. Hence treatment with some vata shamak dravyas would be beneficial and effective here.
Well, as we are going to discuss about nirgundi oil here, this is an amazing herbal oil/formulation that is best for all kinds of pain. Before explaining nirgundi oil, let's know in detail about herb – NIRGUNDI!!
Nirgundi – Nirgudati Shareeram rakshati rogebhyaha – One which protects body from diseases
- Botanical Name - Vitex negundo
- Family - Verbinace
- Sanskrit – Nirgundi, Neelmanjari
- Hindi – Saubhalu, Nirgandi
- English – Five leaved chaste tree
Nirgundi is packed with phenol, dulcitol, and alkaloid – Vitricine, B-Sitosterol, Camphene, Angoside, Acunbin, Casticin, Artemetin, and Orientin etc.
- Rasa/taste – Katu and Tikta (Pungent and Bitter)
- Guna/qualities – Laghu and Ruksha (Light and Dry)
- Vipaka/effects after digestion – Katu - Pungent
- Virya/potency – Ushna – Hot
- Effects of Tridoshas – balances Vata and Kapha
Nirgundi, a Sanskrit word literally interprets as - which protects the body from ailments. Nirgundi is very popular remedy for female ailments. It is obtained from an aromatic shrub called Vitex negundo which has bitter, pungent, astringent taste, rose colored flowers and small brown fruits that is used for medicinal purpose.
It is a multipurpose and versatile herb. It is used for external application in form of oil, ointment as well as for oral administration in form of powder, leaf juice extract or water decoction. It belongs to anti poisonous and anti-worm group of herbs. According to a research there are about six different species of nirgundi which have almost same constituents.
Some of the components found in nirgundi are phenol, dulcitol, alkaloid- vitricine, B-sitosterol, camphene, orientin, arteemetin, onoterpens, anguside eurostoside and aucubin. It also contains flavonoids, casticin, chryso-splenol and vitexin which in turn contains chysoplenol D. It is known for anti-histamine properties and muscle relaxant. It acts as a mild topical analgesic and helps in inducing natural sound sleep.
Nirgundi Oil by Planet Ayurveda
It is obtained from the leaves which contains resins, fragrant and volatile oil. It is mostly prepared with sesame seed oil. It is used in wound healing and grey hairs. It is categorized as anthelmintic and anti-toxin.
It is a richest source of vitamin C among Indian goose berry which makes it one of the best anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic herb. It has pungent, bitter and astringent taste, hot potency and pungent post digest effect. It balances vata and kapha. It has antipyretic and anti-arthritic properties and is used in diseases like typhoid fever, malaria fever, worms, dermatose and adenitis.
For better results, Nirgundi oil available at Planet Ayurveda is processed with extracts of some important other herbs as well like Manjista, Haridra, Kalihari. These wonderful herbs increases Nirgundi oil's actions and make it more efficient.
Benefits of Nirgundi Oil
- It basically acts as an analgesic and extremely useful for conditions associated with spleen, liver and thyroid.
- Other traditional uses are to treat various skin ailments like vitiligo, leucoderma and leprosy, eye diseases, biliousness, intestinal worms, children arthritis and nervous disorders.
- It is useful to treat number of female ailments such as amenorrhea, menopause, menorrhagia, menstrual difficulties, leucorrhoea, yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis and premenstrual syndrome.
- Various types of arthritis, ulcers, sciatica and pain can be effectively treated with nirgundi.
- It is a panacea solution in vast range of respiratory diseases like cough, asthma, bronchitis and pleura inflammatory conditions, spondylitis and ascites.
- Being diuretic it facilitates the micturition. It is also useful in treating dysuria and anuria. It helps in smooth urination during gonorrheal infections.
- Nirgundi is very useful herb in morbid conditions of vata like epilepsy, insomnia and vertigo since it works as a brain tonic.
- It is most useful for inflammatory conditions like tonsillitis, endometriosis and orchitis.
- It has anticonvulsant, antioxidant, and bronchial relaxant and hepato-protective activities.
Usage: Nirgundi oil is used for external application only. Apply on affected skin area with cotton swab, two to three times daily.
Duration of Usage: Externally it can be used for a very long period of time without any side effect.
To buy Nirgundi Oil, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/nirgundi-oil