It is a gland exclusively found in the males and releases a secretion that forms a component of the semen.
This gland is located at the neck of the urinary bladder and completely surrounds it.
Prostate gland is about the size of a walnut. The average volume of a normal prostate gland is 15 -30 c.c.
In case of prostate cancer or prostatitis, this volume may be exceptionally increased.
It is an inflammation of the prostate gland. It can be a very troublesome condition for the person as it may hamper his day to day activities and prove to be very painful as well.
Incidence of Prostatitis
It is a disease that exclusively affects human males. Approximately 40 % of problems in males, which are related to the urinary system, occur because of prostatitis.
Though it can affect men at any age, usually elderly men have been found to commonly complaint of prostatitis.
According to statistics, 50 % of men suffer from prostatitis at some point of time in their life.
Acute prostatitis occurs abruptly due to a bacterial infection and may prove to be fatal as it may result in the spread of infection to the whole body.
It requires immediate management otherwise it can damage the kidneys, urinary bladder and the nearby organs.
Chronic prostatitis occurs as a result of a long standing inflammation of the prostate gland which may or may not be a result of some microbial infection. It is usually difficult to diagnose this condition as the bacteria are not easily traceable.
The symptoms are not as severe as in the case of chronic prostatitis.
Causes of Prostatitis
Cause vary, depending up on the type of prostatitis.
Causes of acute prostatitis
It mostly occurs due to the infection of the urinary bladder, urethra, kidneys or any other part of the urinary system.
Causes of chronic prostatitis
Chronic prostatitis is a frequently relapsing condition which may spontaneously come and go. A clear cause of such symptoms is not well understood.
Symptoms of Prostatitis
- Pain in the genital region, back, buttocks and pelvis
- Painful urination
- Frequency and urgency to urinate
- Difficulty in urinating
- Erectile dysfunction
- Painful ejaculation
- Loss of libido
The diagnosis of prostatitis can be done clinically by performing digital rectal examination by the doctor. This helps the doctor to assess the size of the prostate gland.
Otherwise, Trans rectal ultrasound and renal biopsy can be performed on the patients to get a clear picture of the condition.
How of Prostatitis Affects the Day to Day Life of The Patient?
- The growing size of the prostate gland proves to be very painful for the patient.
- There is difficulty in sitting or walking when the size grows too big.
- It becomes difficult to ride a bicycle. Heavy cushioned seats can be used in this condition for bicycle riding.
- Disturbed sleep patterns as the patient has a nocturnal increase in the frequency of urination.
How to Prevent Prostatitis?
- Maintain proper hygiene. Always wear clean undergarments and use sterile bath towels. Wash your hands before and after you use the toilet.
- Use condoms to avoid sexual transmission of the bacteria causing urinary tract infection in the female partner.
- Eat healthy to build a strong immune system
- Drink water in adequate amounts to flush out any kind of bacterial growth in the urinary tract
- Do not hold the urge to urinate, empty the bladder as soon as you feel the urge to do so. This way the bacteria will not get enough time to stay inside the system and multiply
- Avoid constipation, hard stools tend to irritate the inflamed prostate gland and cause a lot of pain to the patient.
- Exercise regularly and sleep well.
- Learn more about the disease and spread awareness to save other males around you from this condition.
Can Prostatitis be Sexually Transmitted?
There are different views on whether prostatitis can be transmitted sexually or not?
While some say No, others maintain that the bacterial and fungal cases of prostatitis can be sexually transmitted in many cases.
Can Prostatitis be Completely Cured?
It is difficult to say that prostatitis can be cured in each and every patient. While it may be completely curable in same acute cases, in others prostatitis becomes a recurrent condition which cannot be cured but managed with the help of appropriate treatment.
Dietary Supplements for Healthy Prostate Gland
Planet Ayurveda's Prostate Care Pack includes four dietary supplements that can help to maintain the health of the prostate gland.
- Shilajit Capsules - 2 capsules, twice daily, with plain water after meal.
- Tribulus Power - 2 capsules, twice daily, with plain water, after meal.
- Varunadi Vati - 2 tablets, twice daily, with plain water after meal.
- Kanchnaar Guggul - 2 tablets, twice daily, with plain water after meal.
If you want to buy Prostate Care Pack, then please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/prostate-care-pack